Jonathan Wood/Grading the Bears 2020 Offense

soulman

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

It would also keep from having to use Cohen as much too. 

Maybe if he gets back to being solely a receiving RB rather than being forced into a hybrid WR role he will be more effective too. Might just be wishful thinking but I certainly hope so. His lack of production running was bound to happen with poor OL play, but not making anyone hardly miss in open space was all him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Maybe if he gets back to being solely a receiving RB rather than being forced into a hybrid WR role he will be more effective too. Might just be wishful thinking but I certainly hope so. His lack of production running was bound to happen with poor OL play, but not making anyone hardly miss in open space was all him. 

Agreed.  But I can't see where Cohen has lost any of his gift for making people miss.  Not if you watch his punt returns.  I just think he was horribly misused last year and even Nagy seems to have admitted to that.  Lacking any real talent at TE he appears to have re-designed his approach for Cohen trying to use him in ways that offset our lack of TEs.  We shouldn't have that same problem this year.

It's also a contract year for Cohen so you know he's gonna want to put on a show for the entire NFL to see.  It's worth millions to him if he succeeds.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 3:43 AM, soulman said:

Agreed.  But I can't see where Cohen has lost any of his gift for making people miss.  Not if you watch his punt returns.  I just think he was horribly misused last year and even Nagy seems to have admitted to that.  Lacking any real talent at TE he appears to have re-designed his approach for Cohen trying to use him in ways that offset our lack of TEs.  We shouldn't have that same problem this year.

It's also a contract year for Cohen so you know he's gonna want to put on a show for the entire NFL to see.  It's worth millions to him if he succeeds.

On punt returns he did well, but he caught 79 passes and had 64 runs, and rarely made anyone miss when he had the one-on-one match up last year. I feel like 2017 or 2018 Cohen could have been put in those exact same spots and made a number of plays that 2019 Cohen failed to. 

That may have been due to him being much more of an east-west runner last year so it could have been harder to make a move, and scheme also was definitely an issue, but as a runner and receiver he personally was less effective in those situations imo. 

He is one of the guys in particular that I think would almost refuse to opt out of the year so he can put on a show. If there are weakened defenses he could REALLY put on a show and make some bank in FA. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

On punt returns he did well, but he caught 79 passes and had 64 runs, and rarely made anyone miss when he had the one-on-one match up last year. I feel like 2017 or 2018 Cohen could have been put in those exact same spots and made a number of plays that 2019 Cohen failed to. 

That may have been due to him being much more of an east-west runner last year so it could have been harder to make a move, and scheme also was definitely an issue, but as a runner and receiver he personally was less effective in those situations imo. 

He is one of the guys in particular that I think would almost refuse to opt out of the year so he can put on a show. If there are weakened defenses he could REALLY put on a show and make some bank in FA. 

This my belief and Cohen has basically admitted to it and to making some changes.

I also believe he was asked to do more than he's capable of doing on a per game basis.  He's a weapon to be used primarily for the opportunity to have him create a big play.

Last year Nagy over used him trying to make him into more of a utility guy doing a bit of everything.  That's really not his game and it's why we need a more typical #2 RB and an effective "U" type TE so Cohen isn't being overused to replicate what we didn't have at those positions.  He's guided missile not a machine gun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soulman said:

This my belief and Cohen has basically admitted to it and to making some changes.

I also believe he was asked to do more than he's capable of doing on a per game basis.  He's a weapon to be used primarily for the opportunity to have him create a big play.

Last year Nagy over used him trying to make him into more of a utility guy doing a bit of everything.  That's really not his game and it's why we need a more typical #2 RB and an effective "U" type TE so Cohen isn't being overused to replicate what we didn't have at those positions.  He's guided missile not a machine gun.

I can concede that point. Without a TE or decent run game they had to use him as the number 2 option way too much. With him being in so many 3rd and longs they basically tried to double ARob and just keep him in front of them, and it worked a lot last year. Hopefully with competent play from the TE spot it opens up a lot for Miller and Cohen to make splash plays, or at least more chances at mismatches where he can make a 20 yard play. 

• Like 1