49ers signing WRs Tavon Austin and JJ Nelson

RaidersAreOne

On 8/18/2020 at 8:27 AM, vegas492 said:

He didn't just fail for you, he's on his 4'th team already.  I don't know why, maybe you do...why couldn't he ever learn WR?

But...you are right, he's not a total failure due to his outstanding special teams play.  He has been a total failure at WR.

Hard to say, but if I were to make a guess, I would think that he might just not be bright enough to learn complex NFL playbooks.  Either that, or maybe he is happy with the money he is making and, since he has gotten to where he is on his elite athletic ability, he might just not have the motivation to change his game.  He has the physical tools, but just hasn't used his talent to get a lot better than when he was drafted.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hard to say, but if I were to make a guess, I would think that he might just not be bright enough to learn complex NFL playbooks.  Either that, or maybe he is happy with the money he is making and, since he has gotten to where he is on his elite athletic ability, he might just not have the motivation to change his game.  He has the physical tools, but just hasn't used his talent to get a lot better than when he was drafted.

You see?  That's the odd part about Patterson.  Smart enough to know to work hard on all special teams.  Smart enough to play RB for the Patriots.  But not smart enough to learn a route tree and read a defense?   The money he could have made as a WR/returner is much greater than what he is earning right now as a special teamer.

I truly thought he would be something special in Minnesota when he was drafted.  There was and is just a lot of athleticism and toughness in that guy.