Week 6 Prospect Talk

rackcs

Getting this up tonight since we've got us a game between Houston and Tulane! I've only got one notable guy from each team worth watching last night but let me know if there are other guys on the teams you think are worth looking at.

For Tulane it's Patrick Johnson, EDGE, #7. I've heard his name a couple of times as a G5 mid-round upside kind of guy. Haven't watched him at all yet but I looked him up and he's got 4 sacks through three games with one of those games being Navy. So basically 4 sacks in two games. Not too bad. Interested to see what he's all about.

For Houston it's their first game of the season with their first 4? game I think being cancelled. The guy I've got for them is Marquez Stevenson, WR, #5. He's supposed to be an incredibly fast player so I'm interested to see what else he brings to the table beyond that.

Anyone else got someone to look out for tonight? Or what are some other matchups you're looking forward to this weekend?

Edited by rackcs

So mostly been watching Johnson in the first half. He looks alright. Not great against the run but he's had some decent pass rush reps. I've seen him getting overpowered a lot which is definitely not what you want from someone only playing against a G5 team and looking to go to the NFL. 

Games I'm looking forward to tomorrow

For the noon games I'm mostly going to be watching the Florida-Texas A&M game. I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching Kyle Pitts, dude is just too good. Plus I haven't paid a ton of attention to Tony and Grimes so I want to keep an eye out for them as well. Florida has a couple of decent mid-round type guys in the secondary so I want to see how Mond does against them as well. Finally, I've been hearing some good things about A&M EDGE guy Michael Clemons so I want to watch him as well. I might pop over to the Virginia Tech-UNC game on commericals and such to check out those UNC WRs Newsome and Brown. Also heard a new name for Virginia Tech in Christian Darrisow, OT. So I might check him out as well if VTech is on offense.

For the afternoon games, there's not a ton prospect wise so I'll probably be checking out Tennessee-Georgia. I've heard the name Josh Palmer a couple of times this week as a guy to watch as a mid-round sleeper (@Ragnarok, is he any good?). He's a Tennessee WR so we'll see how he matches up against a good Georgia secondary. Also the obvious other names like Trey Smith and Zamir White for their teams.

For the evening games the big matchup is obviously Clemson-Miami. I'd like to see how Jackson Carman does against the Miami pass rushers Roche and Philips, who have both looked good so far. I also was watching some tape for another guy and Derion Kendrick popped out a couple of times so I'd like to do a more dedicated watch on him this game as well. Might pop over to the Notre Dame-Florida State game on commercials to try to check out Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.

What is everyone else looking forward to watching? Some interesting matchups this week for sure.

• Like 1

I think I'm done watching Pitts, I've seen enough. Dude is a fringe top 10 guy. The only thing holding him back is his position. So damn good. This TD catch he just had where the A&M defender was literally throwing him to the ground as he caught it? Incredible. He's strong, athletic, versatile. Great player.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I didn't realize Kyle Pitts' hands were this good.

Yeah, he's honestly basically everything you could want out of a TE receiving wise. He can play with a hand in the dirt or split out wide, he'll catch things he probably shouldn't. Solid route runner.

• Like 1

Just now, rackcs said:

Yeah, he's honestly basically everything you could want out of a TE receiving wise. He can play with a hand in the dirt or split out wide, he'll catch things he probably shouldn't. Solid route runner.

I was more impressed by the slant he caught on 3rd and 14.  Ball was behind him, he reached back and caught it with his hands, and had the athleticism/burst to get back north and south to get the 1st.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I was more impressed by the slant he caught on 3rd and 14.  Ball was behind him, he reached back and caught it with his hands, and had the athleticism/burst to get back north and south to get the 1st.

Yep, that was a nice one too. Like I said, I've watched enough at this point where I feel like my evaluation isn't going to change. He's been looking like this all year so far. 6 TDs through his first two games and already another one for him today.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue said:

Kellen Mond has these rare plays where he looks like an NFL starter but most of the time his ball placement and accuracy leaves so much to be desired. What a tease.

Agreed. That deep pass he just threw was right on the money. He's got the tools but lacks the mechanics and footwork to be consistent. Still think he'll be a mid-round pick just for those good plays alone.

Just now, rackcs said:

Also @Blue, I haven't watched any Notre Dame games yet this season. Is Owusu-Koramoah's 1st round hype legit?

God no. But he's a good athlete and not a bad player, so odds are he goes there anyways.

I really, really can't emphasize how bad our linebacker play was last year and JOK was a part of that starting group.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

God no. But he's a good athlete and not a bad player, so odds are he goes there anyways.

I really, really can't emphasize how bad our linebacker play was last year and JOK was a part of that starting group.

Gotcha. I've heard about the athleticism and have been meaning to check him out. I will say I'm a sucker for athleticism myself so I might end up being high on him anyways lol

• Like 1