Offensive Line Grades after 8 Weeks

turtle28

https://riggosrag.com/2020/11/12/washington-football-team-grading-offensive-line-week-9/app/?app=riggosrag#facebook

I agree with the writer in that our OL hasn’t been good but it hasn’t been the total dumpster fire we thought it would be and surprisingly to most Wes Martin was the main reason our OL was below average as everyone thought it would be Christian who would be our worst OL by far. Christian hasn’t been great but IMO he’s been average/serviceable. I don’t think he’s a long term answer at LT but I can see Rivera re-signing him in March to have him compete w/ a FA LT, a draft pick and Charles and then see who wins that LT competition next offseaon.

Wes Martin D-

I told the original poster that unlike Cooley and other graders, he shouldn’t be afraid to give out and F bc Martin was an F. It’s clear the injuries to Charles and Wes S. hurt the left side of our OL to start the season as neither were ready to start. I really think one of them would have started at LG over Martin if they had been healthy and practiced in August. I also still think if Charles had been healthy there’s a chance he would have beaten out Christian for the LT position and our starting LT/LG could’ve and probably should’ve been if not for injury Charles & Wes S. this season and if he had been our left side and overall line play would’ve been better.

Geron Christian D+

As I said above Christian has been below average but I think better than what most expected. The weakest part of his game is his run blocking at the point of attack, if he ever wants to be more than a swing tackle he still has to get stronger and improve in his run blocking. 

Cornelius Lucas C-

I agree with this grade from the article and with the writer’s analysis in the story.

Wes Scherweitzer C

I agree with this grade from the article. As I said in my first few paragraphs, his injury and Charles’s injury really hurt our OL the first month of the year. I think they may have been our starting LT/LG combo if they had practiced all August and if not, one of them would’ve started over Martin week 1.

Chase Roullier B-

I actually think this grade is a bit low for Chase, I’d give him a straight up B. Chase isn’t a great OL and he isn’t a poor OL. He’s always going to be in that C & B range. I think this fanbase mostly under appreciates him. As PFF has pointed out, Chase is having a good season.

I think we’d be foolish not to re-sign Roullier in March. I think he’s proven he needs to be re-signed and not re-signing him could be a downgrade to Ismael or another Center we’d acquire.

Brandon Scherff B+

I agree with this grade. Last offseason I didn’t want to re-sign Scherff long term and was leaning towards re-signing Flowers and letting Scherff walk or doing what we ended up doing and franchising Scherff while we had re-signed Flowers. I understand the reasons why they didn’t match or beat Miami’s contract for Flowers, but anyone who would suggest we don’t miss him is foolish. Flowers’s departure and AD’s release has left a gaping hole in our running game from last year to this.

As for Scherff, I actually think not re-signing so would be a major blow to our offense and we have to re-sign him. He is not worth the richest guard contract in NFL history but I worry we will still have to give him that to retain him and again, not doing so will hurt our offense even more and we can’t afford that so, we should give him the contract he wants even if he’s worth a tier below that level.

Morgan Moses B+

I actually think this is a bit low. Moses has exceeded expectations and is the only OL who’s done so. To me he’s an A- or even an A and I think he should’ve been named the team’s captain to start the season and while I love Terry, I think Moses should be our captain now on offense. Awesome first half of the season for Moses.

Moses hasnt had a hilding call every game like he use to get in past year  and guy is our Toyota Camry always reliable but not flashy. He does not miss game.

As with Brandon Scherff we have to paybhim our hands are tied with him. No better optiojs out there at the moment and this can help us focus on building with a new LT and Guard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

Moses hasnt had a hilding call every game like he use to get in past year  and guy is our Toyota Camry always reliable but not flashy. He does not miss game.

As with Brandon Scherff we have to paybhim our hands are tied with him. No better optiojs out there at the moment and this can help us focus on building with a new LT and Guard.

I think we’d be foolish not re-sign Roullier too, on top of Scherff. Roullier is an above average to good center - heck of a 6th round pick! He’s not great, but he’s not bad either.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think we’d be foolish not re-sign Roullier too, on top of Scherff. Roullier is an above average to good center - heck of a 6th round pick! He’s not great, but he’s not bad either.

Yeah he is C+ or B- guy on his best day

Roullier at worse can be a quality back up