GG1102 First 2021 Mock

ganggreen1102

New HC: Arthur Smith (Titans OC)

-Smith is a hot commodity on the market, and some GM’s have listed him as their top choice (No names specifically, but I would not be surprised if one of them is JD)

New OC: Pat O’Hara (Titans QB coach)

-Smith brings on his QB coach as OC. O’Hara was with the Texans in 2017, and played a crucial role in developing Deshaun Watson during his rookie year, as well as helping take Ryan Tannehill to the next level as a passer.

DC: Frank Bush is retained

Cuts:

DL Henry Anderson

-Owed way too much money!

TE Ryan Griffin

-Got resigned to a new contract last year but did nothing this year to prove that he was worth it.

Re-signs:

S Marcus Maye-Self explanatory

CB Brian Poole-See above

G Pat Elflien-Starts at LG next year

QB Joe Flacco-Why not? Probably hard to find a better mentor for a young QB.

LB Neville Hewitt-Played well enough in run defense to earn a new deal

LB Jordan Jenkins-Production fell off due to reasons that I don’t know, but he’s a vet and can come back cheap due to his down year.

CB Arthur Maulet-Corner depth

S Mathias Farley-Safety depth

EDGE Tarell Basham-Proved enough to be in the running for a starting job next year

EDGE Frankie Luvu-LB depth. Had a few good games to end the year.

RB Josh Adams-Played pretty well in limited time, so comes back as a depth piece.

WR Jeff Smith-Probably won’t make the team but we’ll see.

Free agency:

S Anthony Harris-Vikings-4 years 65 million

-Surprised? Hear me out, no matter what the Jets do on offense, they still have one of the worst if not THE worst secondary in the NFL, and this FA class has the safety talent to get them to that level. The Vikings will most likely let Harris go, as Harrison Smith hits the market next offseason, and I don’t see them letting him go. Harris salivates over the opportunity to play with another young star in Marcus Maye, and the Jets go back to having one of the best safety duos in the league.   

CB Shaquill Griffin-Seahawks 2 years 15 million

-Griffin had an outstanding 2019 season, but a very down 2020 season so his stock sank a bit. The Seahawks defense overall had a rough year, (Not pointing any fingers or anything *cough* Jamal Adams *cough cough*) but he gets a shot to redeem himself with players raving about playing for Frank Bush and playing alongside Harris and Maye. He becomes the #1 corner day 1.

WR Marvin Jones Jr.-Lions 3 years 25 million

-The Lions are in a tough spot right now with Matt Stafford getting old and Golladay also hitting FA. I think they keep Golladay, but let Jones go. He is still as productive as ever, catching his most passes ever in this season with his second most yards ever. He still has some excellent days ahead of him, as he starts on the outside opposite Mims, but becomes a key veteran cog in the offense which is sorely needed.

WR Curtis Samuel-Panthers 5 years 50 million

-Samuel is a legitimate playmaker that is only scratching the surface of his ability as a playmaker, and could very well be the Jets #1 receiver by the end of the 2021 season. They take a bit of a risk in overpaying for him a bit, but think it will be a very worthy gamble in the long term as he is still very young. He is a dynamic runner and receiver who will have a heavy role in the offense as both.

TE Greg Olsen-Seahawks 1 year 5 million

-The Jets snag one of the best TE’s to ever play the game at the tail end of his career. He had a crowded TE group in Seattle with Hollister and Dissly stealing playing time from him, but I bet he still has some good plays and games left in the tank. More veteran receivers.

Pre-draft trades:

Jets trade:

Sam Darnold

2022 Conditional pick (5-7th round dependent on outcome of 2nd round pick Jets are receiving’s playing time)

Broncos trade:

2021 2nd round pick (41st overall)

2022 Conditional pick (3-5th round depending on Darnold’s playing time)

Analysis: The Broncos are bringing in competition for Drew Lock, who did not take a major step forward in his second season despite having some quality weapons around him, and feel that Sam Darnold has the potential to become their starter. GMs feel that Darnold still is young and very talented and garner’s second round pick value. The teams exchange conditional picks dependent on playing time from the major players received.   

2021 NFL Draft:

Jets picks:

1(2): Zach Wilson QB BYU 6’3 209 LBs

-I still have him favored over Field as of now. Fields may have the “athletic freak” advantage over Wilson as of now, but I think Wilson is the more polished passer and has the better chance of being the more successful player. We see shades of Patrick Mahomes in him and make him our starting QB day 1.

1(27): Najee Harris RB Alabama 6’2 230 LBs

-Najee has been extremely impressive during his time at Alabama and has shown plenty of ability to be a bell-cow back in the league. He has impressive size, speed, balance, vision, and quickness. He has many similarities to Derrick Henry and has the potential to be a similarly talented running back in the NFL.

2(34): Zaven Collins LB Tulsa 6’4 260 LBs

-The Jets linebacking corps definitely need upgrades, as Mosley has not played in two years, and Hewitt/Jenkins can stand to be upgraded. Jenkins has experience, and has shown to be a solid pass rusher at times, but has never been dominant. Collins has the ability to play all over the field as a 3-4 MIKE linebacker, a 3-4 EDGE defender, or even a linebacker in a four down set. He is excellent in all facets of the game including coverage and run stopping, and has been solid when asked to rush the passer as well. His versatility will be a warm welcome to Frank Bush’s defense, and I don’t doubt that we will find a great use for him.

2(41): Josh Jobe CB Alabama 6’2 190 LBs

-Jobe had a breakout 2020 season as one of the key secondary players for Alabama, playing extremely well in coverage and against the run. If you don’t remember he laid that ridiculous hit to open the rose bowl against Notre Dame. He comes in and competes for a starting role.  

3(66): Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame 6’6 300 LBs

-Eichenberg was excellent for Notre Dame and was one of the biggest reasons for the success of their outstanding offensive line. He competes with George Fant for the starting RT job.

3(90): Trevon Grimes WR Florida 6’5 214 LBs

-Grime is a lengthy receiver that has not had the same national recognition as Toney and Pitts, but is right on par with them on skillset.

4: Charles Snowden EDGE Virginia 6’7 240 LBs

-Lengthy athletic linebacker who is very underrated on a national scale as a pass rusher and in run defense. Could be a sneaky quality starter off the bat.

5: Khalil Herbert RB/PR/KR Virginia Tech 5’9 212 LBs

-Herbert was a breakout star in 2020 for the Hokies and showed off his blazing speed, vision, quickness, and ability to break tackles. Could be an excellent change of pace runner and home run threat for the Jets to work with, as well as a special teams stud. 

5: Ryan McCollum C Texas A&M 6’5 300 LBs

-Interior depth/competition

6: Jose Borregales K Miami 5’10 205 LBs

-Wooooooooooooooooooooooo LFG a kicker!!!!

7: James Skalski LB Clemson

-Hopefully doesn’t give us too many personal fouls

QB: Wilson, Flacco, Morgan

RB: Harris, Herbert/Johnson/Perine/Adams

FB: Wesco

WR: Jones Jr, Mims, Grimes, Cager, Smith

Slot: Crowder, Samuel, Berrios

TE: Herndon, Olsen, Brown

OT: Becton, Fant, Eichenberg, Edoga

OG: Van Roten, Elflein, McDermott, Andrews, Clark

😄 McGovern, McCollum

DL: Fatukasi, Williams, Shepherd, JFM, Phillips

LB: Hewitt, Mosley, Collins, Jenkins, Basham, Snowden, Zuniga, Luvu, Onwuassor

CB: Griffin, Jobe, Poole, Hall, Austin, Maulet, Guidry, Jackson

S: Harris, Maye, Davis, Farley

K: Borregales

P: Mann

LS: Hennessey

KR: Herbert

PR: Herbert

• Like 1

I dont really see the Broncos making that trade. The pundits are calling this the best QB class in generations.

Any other year Wilson/fields are #1 overall picks and Trask/Mac Jones/Trey Lance are all top 10 guys. Denver's could easily draft a QB in the 1st and keep their 2nd if they want to move on at QB. 

The teams I think would be interested by Darnold are Pittsburgh, New England, Washington, or Indianapolis.

The point is I think a team trades for him cause they are unsure at QB but have a lot of talent where they need someone to more manage the game. Bad teams look for higher potential cause they're rebuilding. Darnold isnt going to a team that's rebuilding but to a team that's competing and feels they can win now. Just an opinion. 

39 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I dont really see the Broncos making that trade. The pundits are calling this the best QB class in generations.

Any other year Wilson/fields are #1 overall picks and Trask/Mac Jones/Trey Lance are all top 10 guys. Denver's could easily draft a QB in the 1st and keep their 2nd if they want to move on at QB. 

The teams I think would be interested by Darnold are Pittsburgh, New England, Washington, or Indianapolis.

The point is I think a team trades for him cause they are unsure at QB but have a lot of talent where they need someone to more manage the game. Bad teams look for higher potential cause they're rebuilding. Darnold isnt going to a team that's rebuilding but to a team that's competing and feels they can win now. Just an opinion. 

I picked Denver since they are probably gonna be out of the running the top 3 QB’s at pick 9 and nobody else is really a sure thing, and I don’t see them using a first round pick that early on a QB that would be a gamble. Lance is raw, Jones is helped by all the talent around him and I’d say trask is helped there too. Darnold has little risk about him since he’s still on his rookie deal and it seems like a quality competition between him and Lock. Darnold has a few years of experience and Denver has the weapons to help him. 

Not a fan of Arthur Smith.  Was listening to the “cover your Jets” podcast and they had on a reporter from Tennesse / he said smith isn’t really that great with the media and doesn’t think NY would be the place for him.  That knocks him off my list.

as for the personnel moves, not a big fan either.  Nothing done on the OL is alarming and not much done at the WR position isn’t a great idea.

4 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Not a fan of Arthur Smith.  Was listening to the “cover your Jets” podcast and they had on a reporter from Tennesse / he said smith isn’t really that great with the media and doesn’t think NY would be the place for him.  That knocks him off my list.

as for the personnel moves, not a big fan either.  Nothing done on the OL is alarming and not much done at the WR position isn’t a great idea.

Nothing done on OL? A third round pick on a top of the line ACC tackle is not nothing. I felt that keeping continuity on the line is key. Elflein has been solid, McGovern has been a quality vet for a while, GVR has proven to be a quality guard in the past. The oline isnt our biggest problem. The proven veteran starters are there, the scheme they were in was not good.  If its because I didn't go after thuney, I feel that the patriots will do whatever they can to keep him away from us. And also two quality starting receivers in Jones Jr and Samuel plus Grimes in the third isnt much? Okay lol

34 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Well if a reporter said that it must be true. Any other reporters confirming that?

I am pretty certain Smith does not acquire players. That is on the GM.

• Like 1