Gran Turismo Sport

Mossburg

On 10/24/2017 at 7:20 AM, rob_shadows said:

I think the main issue people are having with this game is grasping the fact that this is NOT a main entry GT game (thus why it's called GT Sport instead of just GT 7) it's a game intended to create an online racing experience for hardcore fans...period. If you're like me and you rarely play online in GT games and mainly just love playing the career mode...buying a crappy used civic and modding it into a race able beast, etc...do NOT buy this game..it wasn't meant for people like us...period. 

Hopefully we'll get some news on the next main entry GT game soon enough but until then if you're a career mode lover like me this is most certainly NOT the game to get your racing fix...you're far better off just playing GT 6 or Project Cars 2...or if you have a Xbox one then Forza 7 is another option for career mode lovers. 

You can't even play GT6, it's not ported to the PS4. 

I sincerely hope they can at least get us a fast port, after waiting a ridiculously long time, all they were able to produce was the worst iteration of a Gran Turismo game ever. Congrats.  This ruins my month, I was mentally prepared and excited for another GT game, after not playing the last one. 

They've officially destroyed one of Sony's best exclusives. GT has traditionally sold about 9-10 million copies of each GT game, until 6 was released at a horrible, horrible, horrible time, a month after the PS4 was released and they've only sold just over 5 million to date. Imagine if GT6 was a PS4 launch title, just imagine. Even with the PS3 graphics, how well that game would have done. GT Sport I doubt hits 5 million in sales, as they've alienated I'd guestimate well over half of their fanbase by changing the foundations of the game itself. Idiots. GT is turning into trash compared to it's former glory.

I think GT Sport is set up for a very long run. It has the feel of a competitive online game like certain MOBAs or RPG titles that will receive updates for many years (also good thing there isn't a yearly release like other games), only the developers are more greedy and released a worse overall product than those kind of games.

I see and acknowledge all the flaws, but today I actually prefer this to previous GT games which I've poured so many hours into, that I skipped others and wanted something new. I didn't even realize this is what I preferred until I found out about this game. GT with long term support and an esports focus is perfect. I know there are more serious sims out there for hardcore racing guys, but I never played those. I like the GT series for the arcadey simulator that it is and I like competitive online games. Mixing those is perfect for me.

22 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think GT Sport is set up for a very long run. It has the feel of a competitive online game like certain MOBAs or RPG titles that will receive updates for many years (also good thing there isn't a yearly release like other games), only the developers are more greedy and released a worse overall product than those kind of games.

I see and acknowledge all the flaws, but today I actually prefer this to previous GT games which I've poured so many hours into, that I skipped others and wanted something new. I didn't even realize this is what I preferred until I found out about this game. GT with long term support and an esports focus is perfect. I know there are more serious sims out there for hardcore racing guys, but I never played those. I like the GT series for the arcadey simulator that it is and I like competitive online games. Mixing those is perfect for me.

I agree to an extent.  I understand the draw to a select group of people, but it can only be set up for the long term if it has the customer base. I don't think it does. Every iteration of GT has sold well over 10 million copies, GT6 sold less than half, and had launch sales of 2 million-ish, because of bad decision making releasing it for a last gen console.  By alienating much of their fanbase by removing what made GT great to begin with, I can't imagine much more than a 2-4 million in launch units sold. That's no where near enough to support ongoing developments. Call of Duty, Destiny, Halo, Minecraft, heck even games like Overwatch, all are in the tens of millions or players and units sold. 

Perhaps I'm just being bitter, but if Polyphony kept all their original customer base, and built PvP on top of that, then I think it would have been built up for long term success. But by alienating them (players like me), I won't even be around for them to cater too anymore.  You say that they've mixed it, but I say they've actually severely diminished the arcadey solo part to make room for all the PvP content. Favoring one over the other. 

^The mixing was referring more to the gameplay style, meaning I don't want want to play a super technical simulator or Need for Speed, GT is the perfect blend somewhere in between.

I dunno how much of a player base they need to be successful, but they need the player base to stick around. The best way to do that is keep active updates and add more content. Maybe the reason they decided to shake things up is because of the declining sales you mentioned. Plus one of the turnoffs for me in GT5 (last one I played) is the recycled car models from a PS2 game.

PD really seems either super lazy or inefficient with their time. I think since GT2 it has been this way and all they've done is cut content.

Archived