If you rebuild it, he will come....

bionicsuperfreak

STANDARD OFFSEASON SETUP

Trade Ben saves $19m

Cut Vince Williams after June 1st saves $5.5m

Designate Haden and Nelson post June 1st cuts. Saves $11.2m each. Or $22.4m total

Cut Ebron. Saves $6m

Cut McDonald saves $5.2m

Restructure Heyward saves $7.5m

Restructure Tuitt saves $4m

Cap Savings: $70m

Ideas might include:

Trade Pouncey saves $8m

Draft Creed Humphrey 1st round

Draft Pat Freiermuth early 2nd rd

Trade for AJ Dillon

Re-sign Cam Sutton

Let Dupree and JuJu walk

Trade 2nd rd pick for JJ Watt (?)

Sign Trent Williams

Trade for Kirk Cousins

Trade for Richard Sherman expiring contract

Tomiln has ridden the coattails of Colbert for long enough. His contract has a mutual option for 2022. My belief is he would turn down his option and go for a megacontract in the mold of Gruden and others. My belief is he wants total control. Point being. We'll get some compensation. If he’s going to coach for another season with an unknown future, than you need to make the long-term decision on Mike Tomlin today. There’s no sense having this guy assemble a staff and then a year later turnover the entire staff. It sends a bad message throughout the entire organization that you don’t know what you’re doing. You need to decide on Tomlin today. 

I would get rid of him. And the reason I would get rid of him is:

“the crux is two fold. I believe Tomlin’s record is a byproduct of Kevin Colbert’s ability to form teams. This is based in logic. Two rings. SB caliber teams year in and year out. Tomlin’s playing down to opponents and playoff disappointments shows he’s not a good coach. The proof is in the pudding. Given his inability to make logical decisions.

Collapses, players willingness to clown, and coaches willingness to leave points to a lack of leadership. No playoff wins in five years, despite the win pct., points to a good TEAM, not a good CULTURE.

The coach cultivates the culture. The GM forms the helix. You have no backbone, because you have no leadership. Thats why you fold like a cheap suit.

Therefore, I would trade Mike Tomlin to a sucker that thinks he can do the whole shabang. Theres no bigger sucker than Bob McNair. And, in this example, Ill trade for JJ Watt straight up. Watt wants out. They are just as likely to cut him as they are to trade him. Either way, the result is no dead money cap hit. A Tomlin hire might be enough to calm down Deshaun Watson and save that crumbling franchise. 

Tomlin for JJ Watt straight up. Then you redo the deal to the tune of 4 years, $68m where he gets like half over two years reducing his cap hit into the single digits.

[Another idea would be to trade Tomlin to Philly. You give them Tomlin. You take on the contract of Wentz. But I’m gonna want the 1st rd pick too. And I’ll toss in JuJu’s expiring contract]

That’s Tomlin.

I’ll go Benny and the Jets. Three teams. Kirk Cousins to Pittsburgh. Ben to New York. 5th rd pick (via NYG) to Minnesota.

The problem with this team is leadership. Which means that Ben, Tomlin, and Pouncey must go. 

Cousins has an awful contract as well. Yet, he is a Trent Dilfer type that will succeed if you have the pieces in place where he can throw to the tune of 20-25 times a game. New York Jets take on Ben as a stop gap and teacher to a draft pick. Where you draft that guy depends on what the other decisions you make.

DISCLAIMER: idea alert!

I also like the idea of rebuilding the Jets. That involves a 4-team Carson Wentz trade and looks like so (if interested) : CIN receives 3rd overall: Penei Sewell OT, MIA receives 2nd overall: Justin Fields QB, PHI receives MIA 1st rd pick (18th overall), and NYJ receive 5th overall, 6th overall, CIN 2nd rd pick, MIA 2nd rd pick (via HOU), PHI 3rd rd pick, and Carson Wentz. Jets are then able to trade down again and draft the top defensive player on the board (Micah Parsons) and start rebuilding their team brick by brick. Cornerstone by cornerstone. Which is how you create a foundation.

Maurkice Pouncey needs to go. The idea for Pouncey is either release or trade. I feel he has something left, and the money and placing him in the ideal spot will make him want to play for a few more years. The idea is to place him in Los Angeles with the Chargers where his brother plays and they both sign the same team friendly type deal. You have to imagine they let Forrest Lamp go. If Mike Pouncey returns in full health and Maurkice Pouncey chooses to not retire, than the interior OL of Pouncey, Pouncey, and Trai Turner is a pretty solid group. Depending on if the price is right. The Chargers will want to improve the OL and the idea of a pair of Pouncey’s working as a unit at only pennies on the dollar might be enough to sway them. 

In this example, swap 2nd rd picks with Los Angeles.

Extensions for TJ Watt and David DeCastro should about cancel, which means what you save on an extension on DeCastro by reducing his year one cap hit should be about the increase on TJ Watt’s year one cap hit over his 5th year option cap hit. You gotta spend about $100m in new contract values and that’s how you spend it.

The free agency strategy is to build up draft picks. That means you let Dupree go, because he has risk coming off the injury, will receive big dollars, and you have an adequate replacement for the time being in Highsmith. JuJu Smith-Schuster is gone, because he is easily replaced and will command big dollars, which will be beneficial to the draft pick compensation formula. You let Villanueva go because, like Chris Hubbard, he will command big dollars and help the formula. You let Mike Hilton go, because he is a fine player, but he is a liability in coverage and is a nice piece in the slot that should command some big dollars. James Conner you let go because you might be able to get a nice $2-4M signing that will cancel out with him in the draft pick compensation formula.

The logic is simple. Give Kevin Colbert more draft picks to draft more starters in the 3rd-5th rounds. Give him more lottery tickets and he will produce more winners. 

We have given up considerable talent, so you need to retain some talent. The decision of old vet CBs vs retaining the younger UFA CB is one of the biggest decisions of the offseason. There is no sense in letting Cam Sutton go when you just used a 3rd rd pick on him and you are unable to succeed in drafting CBs. That is so detrimental to the formulation of a team, because then you just waste another pick on a CB and fail again, because you can’t draft this position.

Re-signing Cam Sutton is a priority.

As part of letting Haden and Steven Nelson go, you need to have a plan to resolve the CB issue. I would trade a 5th rd pick for the expiring contract of Richard Sherman. I don’t want to mess with the draft pick formula by signing him in UFA, so I would sign him up for two years to the tune of $9m AAV. 

Richard Sherman is a good fit, because of the zone scheme we play, and he is extremely intelligent.

My major acquisition is that of Trent Williams. Rebuilding the offensive line is of the utmost importance this offseason. You need to learn to run the ball again. This is the identity of the Pittsburgh Steelers, because it feeds into playing good defense. When you dictate tempo, you control the game. This is the to the tune of 4 years, $80m, and is a cancel of Bud Dupree, in terms of the comp pick formula.

Free agents I would re-sign are: Cam Sutton, Chris Wormley, Robert Spillane, Jordan Berry, Ray-Ray McCloud, Matt Feiler, Zach Banner, Jordan Dangerfield, and Josh Dobbs. 

Basically, I’m letting everyone else go and signing players that go for the same range to not mess up with the compensation formula, because I would want a surplus to ensure the maximum FOUR compensation picks in 2022

Players I would consider signing in UFA: Kevin Minter (or Reuben Foster), Marlon Mack (or Le’Veon Bell), Rashard Higgins (or John Ross), and Shaquil Griffin

J.C. Jackson is a player I’ve always liked, and he’s a RFA. The question would be why his draft stock fell so much but something in terms of a draft pick swap of around 30 picks would be enough to get him. 

NEW COACHING STAFF

Head Coach/Pass Game Coordinator: Mike Leach

Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator/Asst Coach: Mike Munchak

Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach: Matt Canada

Defensive Coordinator: Brent Venables

LB Coach/Asst DC: Keith Butler

DB Coach: Teryl Austin

NFL Draft

1st round - Creed Humphrey C

2nd round - Pat Freiermuth TE

3rd round - Romeo Doubs WR

Last, but not least, the trading for AJ Dillon to bring smashmouth back to Pittsburgh. The Packers would trade AJ Dillon, because Aaron Jones is a better fit with Aaron Rodgers, given the way he plays the game. Aaron Jones is a free agent so you would use the idea of Dillon to leverage Jones in negotiations and bringing him back would make Rodgers happy. Then you swoop in with a Jerome Bettis type trade and you would need to make it in their best interest to do the deal. So, you give them your 2021 4th and your 2022 2nd rd pick. 

All the time you are picking up future comp picks to help lessen the blow of this deal in the future, while putting together a reasonable shot at a contender. 

QB - Cousins/Rudolph/Dobbs
RB - Dillon/Marlon Mack/Snell/McFarland
FB - Watt
WR - Claypool/Johnson/Doubs/Washington/Rashard Higgins/McCloud
TE - Freiermuth/UFA/Gentry
T - Williams/Feiler/Chuks/Banner/UDFA
G - DeCastro/Dotson
C - Humphrey
G/C - UDFA

DL - Heyward/Tuitt/Watt/Wormley/Buggs/Davis
LB - Watt/Highsmith/Bush/Kevin Minter/Spillane/Gilbert/Draft Pick/UDFA
CB - Sherman/Sutton/JC Jackson/Griffin/Pierre
S - Fitzpatrick/Edmunds/Brooks/Layne/Dangerfield

K - Chris Boswell
P - Jordan Berry
LS - Cameron Canaday

This is just what I would do. This is the exact opposite of what will happen as Ben, Tomlin, and Pouncey will return. And that’s the problem. The leadership needs to change and then the culture will change. 

almos tperfect, no kirk cousins though. And sadly Munchak most likely won't be back, thats the biggest loss in recent years. 

Almost everything else is ideal for me anyways. 

Pouncey and ben are possibly the 2 most overpaid /cap price players at their positions

Edited by 3rivers

This reminds me of a chrissyororke mock offseason where he just completely gutted the entire team  (although, unlike years past, the team kinda needs it now).    

Hell, maybe this is chrisororke, although it doesnt seem quite as cocky or arrogant as his past posts.

Either way, its really awful....mainly because its so laughably unrealistic and impossible.    Even if we got rid of Ben and  Pouncey, these moves still would never happen.    We still couldnt absorb all those big contracts.

Dont necessarily mind the final roster....but its just so fake that I cant take it seriously. 

EDIT....On second thought, Im pretty sure this IS chrisororke.   Explains a lot.  

Edited by 43M