Why I’m now resigned to the fact that Jameis Winston will be our quarterback:

whodatworm23

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean why not?  I'm a firm believer that Payton either wants Winston or someone that they draft this year as the QB going forward and having Hill to be the defacto starter to make the rookie have to fight for the starting job isn't a bad situation either.  At worst we have a solid starter in Hill who can win some games while the rookie gets to learn the system more and at best the rookie beats out Hill meaning we should expect big things from them.

Here are the questions I'd  have moving fwd...

1. If it is Winston... do the Saints view him as a potential franchise QB or just a bridge to the next guy like Teddy B in Carolina?

2. I know Hill isn't the guy, he has a 16 million cap hit in 2021. Can the Saints get him to extend at top backup money on a 3 year deal? Say 25 million over 3 years. He gets more security, top backup pay and he maintains his role on the team making his salary justified and gives the Saints about 10 million in cap relief this year. Or does he refuse because he wants an opportunity to start somewhere, in that case I look to trade him.

3. A rookie... If they view Winston as more of a bridge guy then the need to draft one isn't really desperate in 2021 unless a guy they like falls to a point its cost effective to go get. Otherwise the Saints can play this thing out and maybe wait until next year to make their major play where they might be in more of a better position draft wise.

4 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Here are the questions I'd  have moving fwd...

1. If it is Winston... do the Saints view him as a potential franchise QB or just a bridge to the next guy like Teddy B in Carolina?

2. I know Hill isn't the guy, he has a 16 million cap hit in 2021. Can the Saints get him to extend at top backup money on a 3 year deal? Say 25 million over 3 years. He gets more security, top backup pay and he maintains his role on the team making his salary justified and gives the Saints about 10 million in cap relief this year. Or does he refuse because he wants an opportunity to start somewhere, in that case I look to trade him.

3. A rookie... If they view Winston as more of a bridge guy then the need to draft one isn't really desperate in 2021 unless a guy they like falls to a point its cost effective to go get. Otherwise the Saints can play this thing out and maybe wait until next year to make their major play where they might be in more of a better position draft wise.

1)  I think they would view Winston as a potential franchise QB.  Considering his stock when he was coming out and how he performed in the NFL so far, I'd probably put him fairly high up if he was in this draft class.  Possibly only behind Lawrence.  Considering the "coaching" he got in Tampa Bay I think he could definitely have a big upturn in his career.  At the very least you know he's a middle of the pack NFL starter at worst.

2)  Hill needs to embrace the back-up QB/utility weapon guy role.  If he won't take a deal like that then as much fun as he is he's not really needed on the team if there is a legit QB on the roster, especially if they decide to draft a QB and get someone like Fields who not only has better arm talent and younger but arguably almost as dangerous with his feet.

3)  If they view Winston as a bridge I don't think he'd want to resign nor is it really beneficial for the Saints to resign him unless he's on a super cheap deal like this year.  For his benefit he would be better off looking to get a 1 year starter trial offer from a team like Indianapolis that will be in the market for a starting QB than to play for the Saints knowing they'll want to move on as getting the experience in the system of his future potential offense would be more beneficial.  For the Saints if they just want a bridge then running with Hill who will likely end up costing them more games would be a better option as they would want improved odds at getting in range for a franchise QB.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:58 PM, whodatworm23 said:

I don't know man... I feel as if Payton has very little interest in developing a highly drafted quarterback. Yes he wanted Mahomes but Mahomes was different, Payton has said that Mahomes was the highest graded QB he's ever scouted. I don't feel the Saints will draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one. With Jameis back I would look more so at a mid-tier guy that he can develop behind Winston and Hill who has zero pressure to start anytime soon. 

So, basically you're talking about another possible Garrett Grayson scenario with mid-tier back-up?

6 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

So, basically you're talking about another possible Garrett Grayson scenario with mid-tier back-up?

If Payton truly believes in Winston then at least for this year, yes. Maybe someone like Trask if he falls to 60 or Mond if he fell to the end of round 3. If not then I highly doubt we even draft a quarterback this year.