Game by Game Predictions

BayRaider

So now that we have the official schedule, list your game by game predictions. 

Mine: 

Week 1 vs Baltimore Ravens - L 27-24 (0-1)

Week 2 at Pittsburgh Steelers - W 28-23 (1-1)

Week 3 vs Miami Dolphins - W 25-22 (2-1)

Week 4 at Los Angeles Chargers - W 33-24 (3-1)

Week 5 vs Chicago Bears - W 24-19 (4-1)

Week 6 at Denver Broncos - L 20-17 (4-2)

Week 7 vs Philadelphia Eagles - W 34-6 (5-2)

Week 9 at New York Giants - W 31-28 (6-2)

Week 10 vs Kansas City Chiefs - L 28-27 (6-3)

Week 11 vs Cincinnati Bengals - W 36-34 (7-3)

Week 12 at Dallas Cowboys - L 35-32 (OT) (7-4)

Week 13 vs Washington - W 23-20 (8-4)

Week 14 at Kansas City Chiefs - L 39-26 (8-5)

Week 15 at Cleveland Browns - L 34-24 (8-6)

Week 16 vs Denver Broncos - W 27-21 (9-6)

Week 17 at Indianapolis Colts - L 32-23 (9-7)

Week 18 vs Los Angeles Chargers - L 34-31 (9-8)

Final Record: 

9-8, no playoffs.

Notes:

- Ravens: I think the Ravens will have a Top 5 Offense this year along with a Top 10 Defense. Tough Week 1. I think their offense of Lamar running, Dobbins, Top 5 TE in Andrews, Hollywood taking the top off, Bateman, etc will all be too much to handle. There is just too many ways they can beat us. 

- We start the season playing a lot of Top Defenses. I think the Dolphins and Bears will be Top 5 Defenses while the Ravens and Broncos will be Top 10 Defenses. 

Steelers: Not too high on the Steelers this year. I don't think they are gonna be all that good, and we usually play extremely well in Pittsburgh. Plus it'll still be warm this time of year. 

Dolphins: 50/50 game here, I actually think the Dolphins are going to be an extremely good football team this season. However, I think we matchup well with them and will be one of their losses. It will be a similar game to last year where we just have to grind it out. 

Chargers (2): I think we split with the Chargers this season, but it'll be a road split. We should have an amazing Raider crowd in L.A., especially on Primetime. Chargers will beat us in Vegas though. 

Bears: Unlike most, I don't think Fields starts Week 1. I actually think Fields starts Week 4 or 5. This could be Fields first NFL game and I think Bradley will take full advantage of that. 

Broncos (2): Don't know why everyone thinks we are sweeping Denver again. That's not gonna happen. They have at least a Top 7 Defense on paper. And outside of QB, their offense is pretty stacked. We should split with them this season in all likelihood. 

Eagles: I think they will be one of the worst teams this year. 

Giants: We are always horrible in New York.... but we are coming off a bye so I think we will get the job done. 

Kansas City (2): See us losing both this year, especially the road game in the Kansas City cold, I don't even expect that one to be close. Just because we split with them last year does not mean we automatically split with them every season from now on. It doesn't work that way. They are still a Top 3 team in the NFL. 

Bengals: This game screams shootout... two solid offenses and questionable defenses. And in a dome in Vegas. 

Cowboys: I don't think we will sweep the NFC East, and I think the Cowboys have the best chance to knock us off. Probably going to be a very good game. 

Washington: Washington has a Top 3 Defense, so this game will be tough for sure. I think we'll pull it off, especially being at home. Although, I'm not confident. 

Browns: On the road, in the cold, and the Browns are a playoff team this year. They are well balanced. Should have a solid offense and solid defense. Plus, really due for a loss against them. I think their DL is going to wreck us this time around. 

Colts: Colts are a Top 3 Seed team in the AFC this year IMO. They are gonna be pretty good. Some may not be high on Wentz but I think he's gonna have a decent season under Reich, the man who almost made him MVP. Also a clear upgrade from dead-arm Rivers in my opinion. I see another whooping, but not as bad as last season. 

So there you go, 4-1 start, and a 1-4 collapse at the end. Three of those losses being 2+ scores. Typical Raider season. 

Edited by BayRaider

Home Record: 6-3

Road Record: 3-5

Points Scored: 465 

Points Allowed: 446

It would also appear we have a Top 10 Defense the first 7 games of the season, before reality rear's its ugly head and we finish as one of the worst defenses in the league again. 

Team Stat Predictions:

Offense: 

PPG: 10th

YPG: 9th

DVOA: 13th

2020: 

PPG: 10th

YPG: 8th

DVOA: 14th

Defense:

PPG: 22nd

YPG: 22nd

DVOA: 23rd

2020: 

PPG: 30th

YPG: 25th

DVOA: 31st

Edited by BayRaider

Week 1 vs Baltimore Ravens - Loss (0-1)

Week 2 at Pittsburgh Steelers - Loss (0-2)

Week 3 vs Miami Dolphins - Loss (0-3) 

Week 4 at Los Angeles Chargers - Loss (0-4)

Week 5 vs Chicago Bears - Win (1-4)

Week 6 at Denver Broncos - Win (2-4)

Week 7 vs Philadelphia Eagles - Win (3-4)

Week 9 at New York Giants - Loss (3-5) 

Week 10 vs Kansas City Chiefs - Loss (3-6) 

Week 11 vs Cincinnati Bengals - Win (4-6) 

Week 12 at Dallas Cowboys - Loss (4-7) 

Week 13 vs Washington - Win (5-7) 

Week 14 at Kansas City Chiefs - Loss (5-8) 

Week 15 at Cleveland Browns - Loss (5-9) 

Week 16 vs Denver Broncos - Win (6-9) 

Week 17 at Indianapolis Colts - Loss (6-10) 

Week 18 vs Los Angeles Chargers - Loss (6-11) 

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

- Ravens: I think the Ravens will have a Top 5 Offense this year along with a Top 10 Defense. Tough Week 1. I think their offense of Lamar running, Dobbins, Top 5 TE in Andrews, Hollywood taking the top off, Bateman, etc will all be too much to handle. There is just too many ways they can beat us. 

Steelers: Not too high on the Steelers this year. I don't think they are gonna be all that good, and we usually play extremely well in Pittsburgh. Plus it'll still be warm this time of year. 

Dolphins: 50/50 game here, I actually think the Dolphins are going to be an extremely good football team this season. However, I think we matchup well with them and will be one of their losses. It will be a similar game to last year where we just have to grind it out. 

Chargers (2): I think we split with the Chargers this season, but it'll be a road split. We should have an amazing Raider crowd in L.A., especially on Primetime. Chargers will beat us in Vegas though. 

I think that the first two games will be huge in terms of setting the tone for the rest of the season. If we lose, especially in non-close games, I think that things could get ugly pretty quickly for us. I don't expect us to be able to slow down the Ravens offense and their defense is always one of the best units in the league. The Steelers game is a toss up as Big Ben is older but he played pretty good last season, especially early in the year, their defense will be good, and I think Najee Harris will likely be the offensive rookie of the year. The Raiders have also struggled playing in Pittsburgh recently and have historically struggled in early games on the East Coast.

The Dolphins game is a toss up as well but they have a chance to be good. Same thing with the Chargers, I think we have a chance but if Herbert takes another step we could easily lose that game as well. 

I have us beating the Bears but they're a bit of a wild card. Their defense should be good and if Fields is legit he might be the piece that puts them over the top. 

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Steelers game is a toss up as Big Ben is older but he played pretty good last season, especially early in the year, their defense will be good

Ben literally looked like 2015 Peyton Manning last year the second half of the season. I don’t expect that to reverse itself. He’s toast. Also, their defense definitely got worse on paper, not even in my projected Top 10 this year. And I wouldn’t say that we are historically bad on the east coast if it’s September or first half of October. 

Edited by BayRaider

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

And I wouldn’t say that we are historically bad on the east coast if it’s September or first half of October. 

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/27/raiders-struggle-playing-in-eastern-time-zone/

Raiders are NFL's worst team in 1 p.m. Eastern time slot

What makes this road trip even more difficult is Oakland’s inability to play well in 1 p.m. ET games. According to the NFL’s research department, the Raiders have the league’s worst winning percentage (.216) since 2000 when playing at 1 p.m. in the Eastern time zone.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Very skewed. We were the worst team in the NFL from 2003-2009 and 2012-2014, of course our record is going to be horrible. And we always play way better on the east coast in September when the weather is warmer. 

Plus I really think the Steelers are a 6 win team this season. 

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ben literally looked like 2015 Peyton Manning last year the second half of the season. I don’t expect that to reverse itself. He’s toast. Also, their defense definitely got worse on paper, not even in my projected Top 10 this year. 

Ben had 3,800 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT and they were 12-3 in the games that he started.

Over the first 8 games he passed for 1,934 yards (64% comp), 1,934 yards (241 ypg), 18 TD, 4 INT

Over the last 7 games he passed for 1,869 yards (66% comp), 1,869 yards (267 ypg), 15 TD, 6 INT

The Steelers biggest issue last season was that they couldn't run the ball. They were 32nd in yards, 27th in TD, and 32nd in Y/A. I think adding Najee Harris is going to really help their offense this season, he's a stud. 

They've had a top 5 defense the last two seasons and they're bringing back 9/11 starters from last years unit plus they're getting back Devin Bush.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ben had 3,800 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT and they were 12-3 in the games that he started.

Over the first 8 games he passed for 1,934 yards (64% comp), 1,934 yards (241 ypg), 18 TD, 4 INT

Over the last 7 games he passed for 1,869 yards (66% comp), 1,869 yards (267 ypg), 15 TD, 6 INT

The Steelers biggest issue last season was that they couldn't run the ball. They were 32nd in yards, 27th in TD, and 32nd in Y/A. I think adding Najee Harris is going to really help their offense this season, he's a stud. 

They've had a top 5 defense the last two seasons and they're bringing back 9/11 starters from last years unit plus they're getting back Devin Bush.

Stats are not everything. Ben’s YPA was like 6.2. The second half of the season his arm was totally gone. It was legit 2015 Peyton Manning if I have ever seen it. Also, TD-INT means absolute jack squat if your YPA is low, anyone can have a good TD-INT Ratio if your YPA is low. Carr’s rookie year for example. It was actually not a good rookie year, like the third lowest YPA in NFL History, but everyone looked at the TD-INT ratio (which can easily be done with a low YPA) and was like oh my god, great rookie year!

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Stats are not everything. Ben’s YPA was like 6.2. The second half of the season his arm was totally gone. It was legit 2015 Peyton Manning if I have ever seen it. Also, TD-INT means absolute jack squat if your YPA is low, anyone can have a good TD-INT Ratio if your YPA is low. Carr’s rookie year for example. It was actually not a good rookie year, like the third lowest YPA in NFL History, but everyone looked at the TD-INT ratio (which can easily be done with a low YPA) and was like oh my god, great rookie year!

Mike Tomlin has never had a losing record in 14 years with the Steelers. They've also ranked top 10 in scoring defense in 9/14 years and have never allowed more than 23.0 ppg under Tomlin. Their defense will be good with studs like Watt, Bush, Fitzpatrick, and Tuitt. And as I said I think their running game will be better with Harris, I think there's a good chance that he'll be OROY.

Even with Ben's regression he was 12-3 and 2 of those 3 losses were against playoff teams in low scoring games. 

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mike Tomlin has never had a losing record in 14 years with the Steelers. They've also ranked top 10 in scoring defense in 9/14 years and have never allowed more than 23.0 ppg under Tomlin. Their defense will be good with studs like Watt, Bush, Fitzpatrick, and Tuitt. And as I said I think their running game will be better with Harris, I think there's a good chance that he'll be OROY.

Even with Ben's regression he was 12-3 and 2 of those 3 losses were against playoff teams in low scoring games. 

The team was 12-3 because of defense. Ben’s arm was totally done. Were the Broncos 12-4 cause of Peyton Manning in 2015? 

the raiders offense was still able to move the ball even against the dophins defense last year with a hobbled carr and banged up jacobs. for gruden's flaws, he's a pretty solid playcaller outside of goal to go and short yardage spots. remember how well he schemed for the Bears game a couple years ago as well. 

more often than not things go out of hand when we fall behind big early and then the offense just implodes. only real exception i can think of was the first chiefs game last year. i thought after Carr's early interception + the chiefs TD to go up 11 it was going to spiral out of control, but we hung in there.

so even if slogfests like we can expect against pittsburgh, or like we saw against cleveland last year, it will come down to the defense holding up. hell we were doing just fine against the pats last year until the defense starting giving it all up

• Like 1