West Conference Finals: (4) Clippers vs. Suns (2)

TheRealMcCoy

Who is going to the Finals?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be _____________ in ____ .....

• Clippers in 4
    • Clippers in 5
    • Clippers in 6
    • Clippers in 7
    • Suns in 4
    • Suns in 5
    • Suns in 6
    • Suns in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/20/2021 at 08:30 PM

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

clowns

He's definitely a better coach than Doc Rivers and I think his biggest strength is his ability to relate to superstars and keep egos in check. But if you're a rebuilding team or a young team, Lue is not going to be a coach that's going to develop your team into a contender. The Clippers ball movement and small ball has been effective in the playoffs but also kudos to Jerry West for building such a deep, versatile team. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He's definitely a better coach than Doc Rivers and I think his biggest strength is his ability to relate to superstars and keep egos in check. But if you're a rebuilding team or a young team, Lue is not going to be a coach that's going to develop your team into a contender. The Clippers ball movement and small ball has been effective in the playoffs but also kudos to Jerry West for building such a deep, versatile team. 

1.) No doubt Jerry deserves his flowers, but I've already gave him some and obviously Lue is better than Doc... anyone saying the contrary is on that good stuff lol. The discussion on him should move past that already.

• Lue had me impressed within the first week or two of this season with how much better the Clippers looked with ball movement. Their 3PT percentage as a team being one of the top 5 in NBA history was helped in part to their not being fans for most of the stadiums for the large part of the season, but it was also due to how well he had that offense humming. It was no fluke. They are the best 3PT team by percentage left in the playoffs. Blazers and Jazz had better, but Blazers only played one series against a team that plays bad defense and you already know how good Utah is from 3PT.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:
On 6/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, NYRaider said:

Terrance Mann and Reggie Jackson fried Rudy Gobert. They're making a combined $3.5M this season and combined for 66 points against the DPOY who just signed a $205M contract. It's unreal. 

Don't forget Batum. That's another 16 points for a minimum player.

Jerry West is a god.

2.) You're right about one of his biggest strengths being keeping big egos in check, but that is one of the best attributes a coach can have in today's star driven NBA, but this is not his only strength. He's also good at rallying the troops. But, ultimately his best quality is his ability to adjust (take it from your guy in the quote below).

• He will do whatever he feels is necessary to win. That's why he is so quick to adjust and or shorten up the rotations and sit guys when needed and he's shown it time and time again with whoever if they aren't up to snuff. Hopefully he shows it again in game 4 with Rondo. He already cut out Cousins who was a DNP - Coach's Decision tonight. I say this, because I was getting annoyed at the Rondo minutes early on. He committed 3 turnovers and the Clippers went from being up 6 to down 2 (-8 in his minutes) when he was pulled after an 8 minute stint to end the first and start the 2nd quarter. Wanna know what happened after that? He never saw the court again the rest of the game. We'll see what happens in game 4, but if he plays his leash will be pretty short.

He does this consistently and he doesn't wait too long to do it either and that's why I believe in him most.

quote-i-have-a-plan-of-action-but-the-ga

This was a dude that was willing to balk at a second chance to coach LeBron James because he didn't like the offer the Lakers made him and the coach (Kidd) that they were trying to force onto him. That is bold as hell. I have a lot of respect for him being able to do that. That same boldness got him fired for not listening to his GM in Cleveland early on in that season without LeBron, but I think them letting him go was maybe the best thing to happen to him. 

3.) Now, you wanna bring up 2018-2019 Cavs with those videos. Are we really going there? Did you not watch the first video you posted? That team was doomed before the opening tip of that season. The biggest reason being LeBron's departure, but look at that roster and what they had to work with. Cleveland did him a huge favor. Their best established player was Kevin Love who played under 600 minutes. The player who had the most minutes was a rookie Collin Sexton. A player that can score, but who had a crap ton to learn and still does. The guy with the second most minutes was Cedi freaking Osman. A 2nd year player. They had terrible personnel to succeed, but especially defensively. 

• Obviously having LeBron on those Cavs teams covered up a ton of holes. He had to. He had no choice. It still amazes me what he did in that 2016 Finals on both ends of the court, but especially defensively. Watching him play nightly for my team has given me a new found appreciation for his greatness, but I digress. He is a HUGE asset for any head coach whether they're a vet like Vogel is now or a rookie HC like Lue was when he took over that year. Not only that Lue has also progressed as a coach since that championship as a rookie HC. Was he a perfect coach back then or before the GM got upset and fired him? Of course not. There is a certain thing called progression and he's done a lot of it since leaving Cleveland. He was far from a finished product after his years with LeBron in Cleveland under Blatt as a top assistant and then as the HC. 

You don't think learning under one of the greatest coaches in Pat Riley, then having an already champion Dwayne Wade and then  one of the smartest players in LeBron James join him just a couple seasons later had a huge impact on Erik Spolestra as a young coach in this league? He learned a lot from having them and I'm sure they learned a good amount from him too. LeBron still had maturation to go through when he came to Miami too though. Don't get it twisted.

Anyways, I remember times when people wanted Erik fired prior to them winning the first championship. He is one of the better coaches in the league now though. I don't think you could say that 10+ years ago like during that 2008 to 2011 time period. He has progressed a lot over the years which is natural. What he did getting that Miami team to the Finals last year was really impressive to me. Bubble or not.

Bottom Line (tl;dr): Great players learn from their coaches and vice versa for great coaches. I think any all time coach would tell you the same thing.

i3.png

Lue was obviously blessed to have his first year as a HC be with LeBron James that by his 30s had seen basically everything and was one of the smartest players to ever play the game. He undoubtedly made his job a lot easier. I'm sure he learned a ton just by having the pleasure of coaching a basketball mind like his, but the whole using the great players argument to knock a coach down down a peg is lame and lazy, especially when speaking on a guy that was a rookie HC who has grown a lot since then.

quote-it-s-what-you-learn-after-you-know

Here is another quote from another one of the best to do it and Ty Lue to hammer home the point:

Quotation-Phil-Jackson-Good-teams-become

Lue and James made for a good combination in Cleveland, and Lue believes the fact that they were friends before working together played a role:

"Before coach and player, we had a friendship. I know how to talk to 'Bron, I know how to handle it when it comes to LeBron. He trusts me, he believes in me. You can kind of see that from my time in Cleveland. The first thing I had to do was sit down with him, one on one, talk about the things I wanted to do. My vision. What we needed to do to fix this team and get our spirits right. He said, 'Man, T. Lue, I'm on board. Whatever you need to do, whatever you need from me, you got it.'"

His players trust and believe in him, because he believes in them. He is great at bringing them together when the going gets tough as shown by how his teams respond when they go down early in a series.

Don't believe me? Here is another quote, but this time not from an old coach, but one of his own.

But, I've said my peace on this now. If you don't think he's a top coach or definitely on his way, then that's cool. I'm not gonna hold you. You can believe there are a bunch better and he's got lucky or whatever you choose to, but all I know is that I love what I continue to see from him and he's won me over and the whole narrative you were pushing is tired, lazy and inaccurate. I know that you know the game of basketball and are capable of more nuance than what you've shown with your stance on Lue over the past weeks which is why I took my time with this response. Hopefully you actually read it and don't just skim over it.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I know that you know the game of basketball and are capable of more nuance than what you've shown with your stance on Lue over the past weeks which is why I took my time with this response. Hopefully you actually read it and don't just skim over it.

Yep lol

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

I knew I was over estimating you.

I read through it, Pat Beverly said they call Lue Bellicheck because of his ability to make adjustments. If they are able to come back from 0-2 again it'll be pretty damn impressive. But also kind of strange that they've allowed themselves to go down 0-2 three times in one playoffs before making the adjustments needed. 

Lue is basically the anti-Doc Rivers. He goes down then rallies the team, finds ways they can adjust, and then implements them so they can come back. While Doc goes up in series, makes zero adjustments, and then lets the other team exploit his teams weaknesses. 

Will be interesting to see what adjustments Monty makes going into game 4. @TheRealMcCoy The Clippers have really been able to keep Booker from getting into a rhythm and also flustered CP3 all night as well. Was impressed by Zubac's performance tonight, he was huge on the glass and even though Ayton had a pretty good game, Zubac still made the most of his minutes as well.