Winter Tires.

Tugboat

On 10/30/2017 at 7:24 AM, tom cody said:

This looks like a good *** bit of info.  The vid seems good too.  Obviously they're angling to sell you more tires, but they're not inventing anything.  It's just substantially better, and any serious testing anyone does is gonna show it.  There's metric tons of data out there on the topic, and it pretty much all says exactly the same thing.

Like...an entire car-length difference stopping distance at low speed like that?  That's huge for everyday driving.

You can always tiptoe around and back up your deceleration a car length or two to be "safe", and that's good experienced winter driving stuff.  But you can do that with good winter tires too, and when unexpected, unpredictable crap happens...it seems better to have that extra car length+ margin.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:49 AM, steadypimpin said:

So do you guys have 2 sets of rims and tires? One set for winter and one set for everything else? Do you guys remove your tires in the winter and have winter tires installed? I just get all season tires and try not to drive my hooptie in the snow if I can't help it.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:51 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Most folks use the same wheels and switch the tires every 6 months.

It seems like a lot of people do it this way.  Tires shops always seem to have crazy backlogs 'round here when the snow is coming because of it.

It seems like a very poor solution to me though.  I did it one winter when i was a totally broke kid just after i bought my first car and couldn't afford a whole new set of rims and tires at the time, so i went with the winter tires and just had to get them mounted on the rims i had.  But it was an awful hassle.  Would not do again.

Not like it's fun swapping them over with totally separate rims and tires 2x a year or anything.  Still takes a bit of time and it's a bit of a nuisance.  But it's so much better and more convenient than trying to swap tires on the same rims.  And way better for the tires i'm sure.

These days i just use the OEM rims for winters, and have some bigger rims with sticky even lower profile summers mounted, and it's about as convenient as swapping wheels twice a year can get i think.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:
On 10/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, domepatrol91 said:

Like I said, snow tires definitely improve drivers of all skill levels. No doubt I'd be better in the snow and ice with them.

But on my all-weather tires I get around just fine. We had a nasty winter here too, and I never had any issues while people with studs and chains were in the ditch. A good driver can be better than good tires.

I'm getting studded tires for the subaru this winter. It's gonna get overhauled into the full time snow machine because of how well it performed in the ice and snow this year. 

Like, i assume the reason you're thinking about going for intense studded winter tires for the Scoobie Do as a winter machine, is because you do realize the benefits of real good winter traction wheels.  Right?

Archived