Winter Tires.

Tugboat

Ya'll got any of these?

Getting to be that time of year.  I just swapped over to mine today.  And let me tell ya, it's a pain in the butt.  But it's also 110% worth it because it's gonna snow next week i bet, and when it does...it's awesome having traction and stuff.  It's crazy the difference with most winter tires even vs "all season" tires.

I've got some Toyo Observe Garit KX items and have run them for the past bunch of winters, and i'm a big fan.  They've got nuts.  Literally apparently.  Crushed walnut ones or something.  But they grip like crazy on ice, which is nice.  That's the biggest thing i need them to do.  They're absolutely awful when it comes to above-zero rainy conditions, and their super squidgy on dry pavement.  But on ice, they grip, and they dig through snow nicely.  I've been really happy.

What's everyone else got for their winter traction needs?  How do they like 'em?

Yep I have a set. Haven't switched over yet this year though because it's still been 60's-70's here in the Northeast. It is a pain but well worth it. I've never fishtailed or even skid out of control with my winters on and I trek through the worst of storms to get to work. Got them a few years ago rims and tires for $800 and it's money well spent.

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Between AWD and decent all-weather tires, I've never had any issues

AWD doesn't actually help you stop or turn though.  Which are important things in driving, in my personal experience.

I hear this argument for All Seasons a lot.  Even up north in Canada.  And it seems to miss the point of what Winter Tires actually do.

Though there are certainly a lot of climates where that's entirely fair.  Probably not worth the cost and the hassle for a handful of "bad weather" days a year.  But in actual winter climates?  Winter tires are so much better and safer.  It's not even close.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

AWD doesn't actually help you stop or turn though.

AWD doesn't help you turn? The whole point is getting power to the front tires so they aren't just sleds, and the rear to assist with traction. At least coming from a mostly RWD driver (pickup) I can see a huge difference in turning. 

I think snow tires on a FWD can be incredibly effective, but I drive in snow with all-weather tires every year and don't have a problem getting around with AWD in my Subaru;

It's more about the driver than the tires, but good snow tires are  definitely helpful to both. 

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

AWD doesn't help you turn? The whole point is getting power to the front tires so they aren't just sleds. 

I think snow tires on a FWD can be incredibly effective, but I drive in snow with all-weather tires every year and don't have a problem getting around with AWD.

It's more about the driver than the tires, but good snow tires are helpful to both. 

I think he means the awd isn't going to help you get "bite" into the snow so that you can turn, stop and accelerate.

Winter tires, like Blizzaks, are far superior to all season tires in heavy snow/ice. There are some good YouTube videos that show how well they work.

Cost wise it doesn't make sense for me considering our relatively mild winters, but if I lived somewhere with more snow I'd have a set for sure.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Winter tires, like Blizzaks, are far superior to all season tires in heavy snow/ice. There are some good YouTube videos that show how well they work.

Like I said, snow tires definitely improve drivers of all skill levels. No doubt I'd be better in the snow and ice with them.

But on my all-weather tires I get around just fine. We had a nasty winter here too, and I never had any issues while people with studs and chains were in the ditch. A good driver can be better than good tires.

I'm getting studded tires for the subaru this winter. It's gonna get overhauled into the full time snow machine because of how well it performed in the ice and snow this year. 

16 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Like I said, snow tires definitely improve drivers of all skill levels. No doubt I'd be better in the snow and ice with them.

But on my all-weather tires I get around just fine. We had a nasty winter here too, and I never had any issues while people with studs and chains were in the ditch. A good driver can be better than good tires.

I'm getting studded tires for the subaru this winter. It's gonna get overhauled into the full time snow machine because of how well it performed in the ice and snow this year. 

I agree it's the Indian not the arrow, but a good arrow helps.

Our Subaru is a tank in the snow, every bit as good as my Ram truck.

On 10/28/2017 at 6:35 PM, domepatrol91 said:

People think winter tires/AWD/4WD/Chains make you invincible, and they try to drive like it's summer. Ice will always win if you don't respect it.

I need to put a new pair on my wife's van pretty quick. I have some all-seasons that have pretty good grip for the snow, so I'm not sure what I'll do for my car. I try to work from the house when there's bad weather anyways. 

Archived