will Ben be back in 2018

3rivers

will Ben be back in 2018  

9 members have voted

1. 1. will Ben be back in 2018?

• yes
    • no

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What specifically about his mechanics is the issue?   

His miss throws. There are multiple times during games over the last 2 years where he steps into a throw and it either goes into the ground or he overthrows horribly. And these aren't him rushing a throw or throwing on the run, he steps into his throw and it just looks horrible. To me, this seems to be him going into his throwing motion and his body not reacting the same way, so even through his brain is telling his body to move a certain way, a way he's done it for 15 years, his body just doesn't react the same way because it isn't the same body anymore. 

Here's a similar example. Penn Jillette lost like 100+ pounds recently. He mentioned in a Q&A that after he lost the weight, he actually lost the ability to juggle and had to re-learn how to juggle with his new body. His muscle memory was used to his body feeling completely different, and compensated for the weight in a certain way. 

Obviously is not the same situation because Penn lost weight and was able to re-learn juggling fairly quickly. But the point of the body being different and the actions being different still stands I think. Ben is still 80-90% of the same person he was a few years ago, but he's showing his age and has more miles on his body than someone else his age. That 10% of the time where he isn't himself, where he can't make the throws, where the ball just comes out awkwardly and completely off target, it's hurting the team. Plus add to all of this that a big part of his game is moving around. I cringe watching him move out of the pocket because he currently has the mobility of Peyton Manning. He runs like he has weights strapped to his ankles. 

But that's just how I see it. I watched almost the exact same things happen to Favre and Peyton during their final seasons. I'm seeing the same thing happen to Ben, though at a less accelerated rate. He's playing the same as he always has, but his arm isn't making the throws anymore. Maybe there is some mental aspect to his poor play, though I feel like any mental aspect is likely caused by his body not being able to make the same plays anymore. 

Where I would counter with Ben is he's never been much of a step into it passer.  He's almost always been an arm passer.  When he has been able to step into it, it takes him some time to get the rhythm.

Take that Colts 6 TD game.  He did have to move around and buy time on quite a few of those plays but it was easily the best game of Ben's career.

Ben looks like he is saving his legs during the games. Usually he is back there extending plays and moving the pocket but outside of the Bengals game this year, I haven't really seen that. Playing quarterback starts with your feet and legs. As soon as those start to go your arm at QB does as well. I'd be extremely surprised if Ben plays next year. Not only because of his health, but because he's not stupid and likely doesn't want to end the way Manning just did; he has too much pride to fall off that cliff.  

Archived