Defense fixed?

Hunter2_1

Games 1-4: 32nd in points allowed 

Games 5-8: 3rd in points allowed.

The last two games, we gave up a garbage time TD to Ryan after we spend the whole drive in quarters (inviting him on) which would have been a shut-out, and a huge TD run vs Chargers, which is an anomaly. Yes, poorly defended (extremely so), but you don't give up them very often.

Is this yet another problem solved by the supreme overlord, Bellichick? 

I still have my doubts, and we will certainly start missing Hightower at some point. The defense has turned it around despite having a 5th wheel trying to secure the edge. 

There are not many things I enjoy watching progress through out the regular season more than the adjustments that Belichick makes defensively. I haven't had a chance to break down Patriot film recently, but I'm now eager to dive in and see what he has done to shore up the issues. Having gone from allowing 32 pts/g in the first 4 contests to a mere 12.75 in the last 4 is no coincidence. And while I recognize some of the competitive differences b/w the first and last 4 teams, I'm heavily inclined to believe there were adjustments made just like he has done through out his entire career either as DC or HC. 

On a slightly off topic but relatively same subject, what NE did last year with a 3-3 Bear front was a genius move in defending modern passing offenses but also just as brilliant in using the Bear front to be able to defend some of the most popular NFL runs with only a 6 man front. 

9 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

There are not many things I enjoy watching progress through out the regular season more than the adjustments that Belichick makes defensively. I haven't had a chance to break down Patriot film recently, but I'm now eager to dive in and see what he has done to shore up the issues. Having gone from allowing 32 pts/g in the first 4 contests to a mere 12.75 in the last 4 is no coincidence. And while I recognize some of the competitive differences b/w the first and last 4 teams, I'm heavily inclined to believe there were adjustments made just like he has done through out his entire career either as DC or HC. 

On a slightly off topic but relatively same subject, what NE did last year with a 3-3 Bear front was a genius move in defending modern passing offenses but also just as brilliant in using the Bear front to be able to defend some of the most popular NFL runs with only a 6 man front. 

You'll probably notice more goings-on in the secondary. Certainly personnel has been different over the past 4 games. Not sure the front 7 is doing anything new (aside from missing its best player and leader), we still don't generate a consistent pass rush. Getting production from 2 rookies and our best pass rusher (Flowers), and that's about it. We've used 3 safeties quite often, with Chung usually rotated down toward the strong side.

But please do report back, if you notice anything :) 

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yes it was.  Losing Hightower is a huge blow though.  Will need to re-adjust, but I have faith. 

With my only game of reference ATM being vs the Chargers, his replacement Elandon Roberts has shown good instincts. Needs to deal with cut blocks better, but plays well vs the pass and run and sheds blocks well.

Archived