Last game of the Year mock draft OR fix one damn thing mock draft

Big T

Alrighty Then! As Jim Carey would say. Last game of the year for the Jets and Jets faithful (present company included). 2021 has been a nightmare for the Jets due to injuries, and various other observations. 

But lets get to the crux of it all...Talent OR the lack thereof. Is it wise to draft here and there and still not improve the team as a unit OR do we go all in to some extent and make the Jets a worthy opponent and one to recon with in 2022.

So here is my mock of the last game  of the season. Understand that JD will probably draft better than I can dream, but I can live with that.

2022 Last game of the season mock OR fix one damn thing mock draft

1. Tyler Linderbaum C....After years of mediocrity the Jets finally get the decade foundational piece they have so lacked. Some say its too high, bull, you take the best player available. This guy was voted best OL this year.

1b.While everything points to a WR/OT/DE, the Jets surprise the fan base with the best CB in the draft in Cincinnati's Ammad Gardner a 6'3" CB who hasn't had a TD scored on him in 3 years.

2.WR here with John Metchie a major speedster  

2a Leo Chenal ILB the guy is a monster with a nonstop motor and according to the GBN  no.42 of the top players 

3. Nic Bonitto DE has a non stop motor and fast. 

4 Cade Otton TE a little more help for a woefully terrible unit

4a Verone Mckinley S, OH YES we need help at the S postion..

5. Abraham Lucas T

As a side note: My hope is that JD with either the 1st of his number ones drafts down and picks up other draft picks.

So to recap, We shore up the OL AND O by adding a C,WR,TE and T, we shore up the D with an ILB, DE,C, S. Here's the cool part all have a chance to start immediately IMHO.

Tyler Lindernaum, might not be the best player in the draft, but HE IS THE BEST PLALYER FOR US. they say he is so freakishly strong. The last center to get so might hype was David Rimington in 1983. We really need this guy when it is third & one. He will anchor our line for years

I like the idea of Linderbaum but definitely not at 4. Nor do I think JD would do that. Sauce is a great press man CB prospect. Would he fit into the type of D Saleh runs?  I love Chenal in round 2. I mentioned him a while back. He is going to be good. Bonito in round 3 would be nice. The rest I know nothing about but, positionally, you hit on needs. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't care how good the center is you don't take him in the top 5. I think he will still be there at 10 and I think we do pull the trigger on him. 

Yeah, I don't agree and it will kill you the next 10 years when he's playing for the Giants instead. You don't draft numbers you draft players and this guy is one of the best in the class no matter what the position be it C/T/WR/ you draft the guy. We've been listening to the experts for years and its gotten us nowhere. We could have had Watson, Mahomes, Prescott, McCaffery, and J.J. Watt had the Jets had the nuts to trade up for a generational player. So sitting back while the talent evades us makes no sense IMHO

52 minutes ago, Big T said:

Yeah, I don't agree and it will kill you the next 10 years when he's playing for the Giants instead. You don't draft numbers you draft players and this guy is one of the best in the class no matter what the position be it C/T/WR/ you draft the guy. We've been listening to the experts for years and its gotten us nowhere. We could have had Watson, Mahomes, Prescott, McCaffery, and J.J. Watt had the Jets had the nuts to trade up for a generational player. So sitting back while the talent evades us makes no sense IMHO

I know it is early but almost all mock drafts I have seen put him in the 9-12 spots. That is why I think the Jets grab him with 10. I think Pickett goes top 3 or 4th if Jets trade down. You also have to remember that these players you list fit a system and coach. You just can't say if the Jets had Mahomes we would be doing what KC is doing. Mahomes would have been beat up so bad with the poor Jets line that he probably would not be as good as he is now. You have to have the right coaches and players to match the coaches. Take a look at Drew Brees. He came to the Chargers as the QB of the franchise and was released a few years later. I know he had the shoulder injury but he then goes to the Saints and becomes one of the best QB's of all time. I personal am glad we passed on Watson. He is in a lot of trouble and might not play ever again. 

While scheme fit is important a Center is a center is a center and the Jets haven't had an answer at center for years. IF we were redrafting the year Mangold was drafted I highly doubt other clubs would have waited so long to draft him. Newsome would have drafted Mangold in 2006 at 13 and he was drafted at 29, Ozzie Newsome according to Mike Tannenbaum called the Jets to congratulate them on the pick as it was a toss up between Ngata and Mangold. Bleacher Report in its redraft has Mangold going number 2 in the draft. 

So while you and I can disagree I still hold to the notion that Linderbaum goes to the Giants with their first pick unless Neal is there, then their is the possibility that they land the 2 best OL this year. I would rather it be the Jets.

Howbeit to be fair, I want the Jets to draft back if at all possible with a QB needy team or one willing to pay a premium for Karlafits as I believe PR is not a glaring need. The draft is deep in DE/PR which could be had in round 2.

Which would include Thomas and Bonnito. I would rather come away with two blue chip players, but if you can add to the haul this year and next why not? And still build your team. I would like to see a top WR drafted in round 1 and a corner, but not Stingley as he has been hurt the last 2 seasons. 

Preferably for me S/CB or CB/WR but I would be fine with Neal and Linderbaum in fact I would be bonkers if that happened our line would be elite overnight.