Official 2022 Draft Discussion

m haynes

I have a hard time believing that Leo Chenal will be picked as high as everyone claims. Yes, his RAS is incredible ( I think it was a 10) .. but the guys 250 and a downhill guy from the little tape I've seen. He seems very much like a very rich mans Bentley. 

- He's a solid tackler which BB will like 

- He doesn't look 4.5 fast to me on his highlights .. if you watch someone like Christian Harris he looks much faster to me 

I agree with the what you see is what you get, and that's why I don't think he's a 2nd round pick.. 10 years ago he could be 10 ten.. but not anymore. I'm not even really on the "WE NEED A LB" train anymore.. but to spend 54 on him.. seems like a poor use of assets, especially if the 1st rounder ends up being a LT. 

I just find it hard to believe a team is going to want him over the above guys.. the league WANTS the smaller, faster LB's. 

I keep seeing different players coming up in new mocks. Here some that caught my eye good bad.

Zyon McCollum Highlights | Draft Profile 2022 | Gurusfilmroom - YouTube

I know this players come up but I have seen him moving up the board. Will not be surprised if BB takes him in the 2nd RD.  Also I don't see it as a gamble. He moves with ease. IMO he's better than Elam !! I don't considered him a Jorden Richards type pick.

Nick Cross Highlights | Draft Profile 2022 | Gurusfilmroom - YouTube

@Crimmage   I now have a opinion on him. Heck Ya. This tape give you an better overall picture... this kid can play. Speed and a presence. He's flew up my draft board. Damn he's good.

Dylan Parham Right Guard Highlights - YouTube

Heck no. He's to small and will get run over at the next level. This is pretty bad.

Kentucky DL Marquan McCall Highlights | 2022 NFL Draft | KCSN Profiles - YouTube

No, waste of a pick.  He reminds me of a fat guy just getting by in college. He's shown nothing when it comes to playing the position or any skills that will translate in the NFL.

Noah Elliss Highlights - YouTube

Now here's a player that has something. Great movement for his size. I would use a day three pick on him. He has what is needed at the next level if he take coaching and improves. If you compare Mcall you will see the big difference.

Velus Jones Jr 2021 Highlights | Tennessee WR | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

I would not draft him. IMO he has everything but hands. Watch this tape and he basically doesn't catch the ball cleanly or he taking it off the chest.  IMO this is a death sentence at the next level, for the player and YOUR TEAM.

San Jose State TE Derrick Deese Jr Highlights - YouTube

Very impressive tape. He can move, big and blocks with a mean streak. I would look at him day three. Also I like that he comes from a football family. Check out his hands that's the way you catch the ball compared to Jones it night and day.

Smoke Monday 🔥 Hard-Hitting Safety ᴴᴰ - YouTube

I see many mocks when he goes in the 6/7th RD. Based on this tape he has skills. I see a future but he starts out ST. I love players like this has physical skills and know how to play the game. He needs to be developed. I also like that he's from Auburn.

Florida A&M DB Markquese Bell Senior Highlights || STEAL OF THE 2022 NFL DRAFT || HBCU Football - YouTube

See Smoke Monday.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 3

I saw this today.

Kyle Hamilton falling to the Pats at 21.

2022 NFL Mock Draft: Kyle Hamilton falls to Patriots, Panthers take Kenny Pickett, Giants and Jets get OL help - CBSSports.com

You won't see me on this board for a while if they take him. I will have no TV or Computer and I will be thrown out of my house for destroying my living room.

I don't care what he did in college I sure don't care what any other SO call experts thinks. YOU ARE NOT worth a 1st RD pick, end of story. Pats nation, all we talked about is speed this year and they turn around a draft, Molasses !!!

We need speed he has NONE. How is he going to cover in zone against REAL QBs. Allan will have a field day against him. Don't get me started with him in man.  There's a chance he can be that LB/S in box guy but you don't waste a 1st RD pick for that type of player. It's a reach if he can do that.

His highlights are great because he's covering future desk jockeys at WR and QBs. Look real closely and you will see how slow he is moving to the sideline. Ask your self who will he cover at the next level in our division???? 

Bills ---Diggs

Jets--- Wilson/ Chris Olave

Dolphins ---  Waddle, Hill

Don't get me started on the rest of the AFC.

You can say BB can scheme to utilize his skills but I say bull. You don't take a 1st RD pick with a fetal flaw and then try to  cover the weakness.

HE RAN A 4.59 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Harry ran a 4.57. Heckkkkkkk NO.

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

I keep seeing different players coming up in new mocks. Here some that caught my eye good bad.

Zyon McCollum Highlights | Draft Profile 2022 | Gurusfilmroom - YouTube

I know this players come up but I have seen him moving up the board. Will not be surprised if BB takes him in the 2nd RD.  Also I don't see it as a gamble. He moves with ease. IMO he's better than Elam !! I don't considered him a Jorden Richards type pick.

Agreed, if they feel Booth will be healthy.. I can see them taking him 1st round.. but after Booth McCollum is my next guy. BB loves taking DB's in the 2nd round, but I really feel like he could have him at 85. I agree with you that value doesn't matter to BB though, if he wants his guy.. he will take him wherever he feels he is worthy. 

Nick Cross Highlights | Draft Profile 2022 | Gurusfilmroom - YouTube

@Crimmage   I now have a opinion on him. Heck Ya. This tape give you an better overall picture... this kid can play. Speed and a presence. He's flew up my draft board. Damn he's good.

LOL that's one of the clips I saw when i found out about him and asked your thoughts. Insane athlete.. good play recognition.. HEAVY hitter.. good hands. I don't understand how he is currently projected 80-100, I think he would be a solid 2nd round pick. He is a different player from Dax Hill but he feels like a guy that you'd feel good about getting if you miss out on Hill. 

Dylan Parham Right Guard Highlights - YouTube

Heck no. He's to small and will get run over at the next level. This is pretty bad.

I haven't watched him much but what i saw was up and down. He's projected to go in the 2nd from what I have seen.. so I haven't cared lol I don't want a LG before the 3rd round. Cole Strange is probably the guy I'd see being the better option in that 70-80 range. 

You can get much better value at OG .. Strange / Tom naming a few.. I like Parham's teammate Fortner better too .. i like the idea of having an extra C at LG 

Kentucky DL Marquan McCall Highlights | 2022 NFL Draft | KCSN Profiles - YouTube

No, waste of a pick.  He reminds me of a fat guy just getting by in college. He's shown nothing when it comes to playing the position or any skills that will translate in the NFL.

He's a fan favorite because he's a big guy. If you're taking him you aren't expecting anything other than " big guy".. eat up some lineman .. let the LB's do their job. He is a big guy who needs to be motivated at the next level and make sure he doesn't gain too much weight.. he's got a lot of risk/reward to him. 

If he can take up space Barmore and Guadchaux would do better at DE.. Judon would do better at OLB.. same with Uche, etc. Given where you'd grab him ( 5th/6th) he's about what I would expect. After Davis/Jones you have a MASSIVE drop off at NT. 

A guy you may want to look at is otito ogbonnia .. he is from UCLA so he has the Chip Kelly to BB connection. He's probably going to go 50-70 picks before McCall. 

I still find it very strange that we haven't seen any inclination that they are looking at Travis Jones.. did they meet with him at the combine? Pro day? Senior Bowl? .. are they trying to make the world think they don't want him so they can trade up in the 2nd to get him like Barmore? Who knows.. but if you want a NT of the future, he makes the most sense given that Davis will be gone. Especially if they trade back in the first.. to say 32.. they could use those extra picks to jump from 54 to around 40 and Jones if they dont want to spend a 1st on him. 

Noah Elliss Highlights - YouTube

Now here's a player that has something. Great movement for his size. I would use a day three pick on him. He has what is needed at the next level if he take coaching and improves. If you compare Mcall you will see the big difference.

The appeal in McCall is the value.. you are very likely to be able to get him with that 170 pick. Ellis I haven't watched so I'm not too sure but from what I can tell he would have to be picked at 127. 

Velus Jones Jr 2021 Highlights | Tennessee WR | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

I would not draft him. IMO he has everything but hands. Watch this tape and he basically doesn't catch the ball cleanly or he taking it off the chest.  IMO this is a death sentence at the next level, for the player and YOUR TEAM.

He's going to go in the 5th-7th, you aren't looking for his hands because he isn't going to catch the ball. This guy is a special teamer all the way. People have mentioned him as Slaters replacement.. but it seemed to me like they were already trying to groom Wilkerson into that role last season. 

San Jose State TE Derrick Deese Jr Highlights - YouTube

Very impressive tape. He can move, big and blocks with a mean streak. I would look at him day three. Also I like that he comes from a football family. Check out his hands that's the way you catch the ball compared to Jones it night and day.

I haven't watched any TE's so I'll take your word for it.. I'll use this moment just to give a shoutout to Devin Asiasi.. I still think he's going to be a good player. 

AND my hot take is that we are going to see more 2 TE sets this season.. but they are going to be Henry/Asiasi running most of the routes while Smith is the do it all guy moving around the formation ( but mainly in the backfield). 

Smoke Monday 🔥 Hard-Hitting Safety ᴴᴰ - YouTube

I see many mocks when he goes in the 6/7th RD. Based on this tape he has skills. I see a future but he starts out ST. I love players like this has physical skills and know how to play the game. He needs to be developed. I also like that he's from Auburn.

4.5 speed .. with the positionless secondary I think you need all your top guys to be 4.4 slowest with an extra emphasis on burst. He had a horrendous shuttle and meh 3 cone. 

Daxton Hill / Lewis Cine / Nick Cross / JT Woods are the only Safeties off the top of my head that I would want .. well other than Alontae Taylor who many are projecting to switch to Safety at the next level. 

See Monday.. Bell is faster but his agility metrics are awful. Even in his highlights he looks slow against meh competition. 

He also has this strange way of analyzing the offense.. he kind of hops side to side as he's watching the QB's eyes.. at the next level he's going to be exploited. The only way I see him making an impact is if he puts on 10 pounds and is used as a LB

Finally started watching some prospects videos. Here are my official favorites:

Round 1: 21st overall - Troy Anderson, LB/RB/QB, Montana State

Round 2: 54th overall - Marcus Jones, CB/KR/PR, Sam Houston

Round 3: 85th overall - Bo Melton, WR/ST, Rutgers

Round 4: 127th overall - Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin

Round 5: 170th overall (from Tampa Bay for G Shaq Mason)* - LaBryan Ray, DT/DE, Alabama

Round 6: 200th overall - Ben Brown, IOL, Ole Miss

Round 6: 210th overall (from Los Angeles for RB Sony Michel) - Max Borghi, RB/ST/WR, Washington State

Just now, DoleINGout said:

Round 5: 170th overall (from Tampa Bay for G Shaq Mason)* - LaBryan Ray, DT/DE, Alabama

Round 6: 210th overall (from Los Angeles for RB Sony Michel) - Max Borghi, RB/ST/WR, Washington State

My other favorite prospects we could see drafted for Pats:

name-school-position-round

trent mcduffie washington cb 1

kenyon green texas a&m ol 1/2

cameron thomas san diego state de 1/2

calvin austin iii memphis wr/kr 1/2

martin emerson jr miss state fs/cb 2

justin ross clemson wr 2

john metchie iii alabama wr 2

zyon mccollum sam houston cb/st 2/3

phidarian mathis alabama dt 2/3

trey mcbride colorado state te 2/3

quay walker georgia lb 2/3

josh paschal kentucky de 2/3

luke goedeke central michigan ol 2/3

eyioma uwazurike iowa state dt/de 3/4

max mitchell louisiana ot 3/4

rashaad white arizona state rb 4/5

jack coan notre dame qb 4/5

cole turner nevada te 4/5

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

My other favorite prospects we could see drafted for Pats:

name-school-position-round

trent mcduffie washington cb 1

I don't really see the hype as a 1st round pick... guy has like 1 INT his entire career. He's good but not #1 CB good from what I have seen so far. 

I have a funny feeling they are going to like him as a future LT .. if they grab him I think he plays LG first year then pushes over to LT

I think edge is an underrated need and an underrated failure by this team.. Feels like every year they have drafted at least one and the only good one they have gotten is Judon who they didn't draft. 

soooooo little .. I feel like he will break in half going over the middle

martin emerson jr miss state fs/cb 2

Good one! This guy isn't talked about enough.. He's like JoeJuan if his feet weren't stuck in cement and had some level of killer instinct. I don't think he's a #1 but will be a really solid starting CB for a long time

justin ross clemson wr 2

Slower than N'Keal Harry and way more injuries...

john metchie iii alabama wr 2

love the fit.. just doubt they will take him. I have a feeling 3 of their first 4 picks are going to go on defense because they are going to want multiple day 1 impact guys to help the defense. Originally I thought that the 1 offensive guy in the top 100 would be Metchie.. but now it's feeling more and more like that guy could be an OT. 

zyon mccollum sam houston cb/st 2/3

wouldn't be surprised if BB takes him at 85.. seems like a perfect fit

He's going to play DE at the next level, right? He didn't seem like a good NT for them.. the issue there would be I don't think he's a good enough pass rusher and Guy/Gaudchaux are already here .. if you're going to get a DL I think it needs to be a NT to help the newly acquired smaller LB's / Safeties 

trey mcbride colorado state te 2/3

Sure would be interesting if they drafted a TE 

quay walker georgia lb 2/3

Love him.. have this crazy feeling he's going to shoot up draft boards last minute though.. could end up gone in the 30-40 range

Prototypical Patriot.. another great option in the 3rd round.. he would really help stop the run

luke goedeke central michigan ol 2/3

I like his versatility ..he would probably play LG but would be able to help out at T if someone goes down

eyioma uwazurike iowa state dt/de 3/4

Can't comment, don't know anything about him

Are you seeing him as a developmental LT? Swing backup? LG? 

rashaad white arizona state rb 4/5

Really good option not many have mentioned.. tested really well at the combine and has experience catching the ball out of the backfield. They are 100% taking a RB this draft.. and RD4 seems like the sweet spot. 

Has a Notre Dame QB ever been good in the pro's? lol 

I'm really on the EJ Perry bandwagon in the 7th/UDFA.. I really like the idea of them having a fast QB to use on the scout team to prepare for some of the athletic QB's in the league. That and it could lead to some creative playcalling in the future. 

cole turner nevada te 4/5

I haven't watched TE's at all for this draft.. I hold firm on my belief in Asiasi .. he can be a starting quality TE in this league. I love that he has been working out with Bourne a lot this offseason.. Bourne's going to break out with more touches this season and I hope Asiasi gets his work ethic and takes advantage of any opportunities he's given. 

@Crimmage thoughts on the mock players would be appreciated as well.

My reaction to your comments: McDuffie is plenty capable to play any DB position at a Pro Bowl level including CB1. Austin III is like a young Tyreek Hill in terms of offensive finesse and explosiveness which compensates for his short stature. Justyn Ross timed poorly and may fall but he is a great value with more to offer than Harry. Much, much more. McCollum and Pashal are going to be well off the board by the Patriots third round pick. Both could even be sleeper first round picks. Mathis is good as DE or DT. Mitchell I see as a guy who can play RT like in college but is also probably equipped to kick inside if a teams tries to. Coan is like a backup version of Mac Jones who is originally from the University of Wisconsin; I don't care if a guy comes from a school with a poor reputation if what I read and watch is representative. Asiasi is an underachiever as far as what you're expectations are and finding a backup TE like McBride, Ferguson, or Turner this year would be a significant improvement I feel.

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Dole its good to see you took the conservative route in your draft!!!!!🤣👍

The funny thing is I would give you and B grade for your effort.  I have no complaints with your 1st two picks.

I know many will say way to early for both but I don't care they are quality players. People forget every year the so call 1st RD picks bust 50% of the time.

The B grade is for 3/4 th RD. I not a fan of Melton and not sure with the TE pick. I would love Ferguson but lower in the draft. Also I would like to know who would be on the board for 3/4 picks.

Take the 3/4 4th out of your draft you would get a A grade. Killed it in the lower RDs.

Edited by m haynes

43 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Dole its good to see you took the conservative route in your draft!!!!!🤣👍

The funny thing is I would give you and B grade for your effort.  I have no complaints with your 1st two picks.

I know many will say way to early for both but I don't care they are quality players. People forget every year the so call 1st RD picks bust 50% of the time.

The B grade is for 3/4 th RD. I not a fan of Melton and not sure with the TE pick. I would love Ferguson but lower in the draft. Also I would like to know who would be on the board for 3/4 picks.

Take the 3/4 4th out of your draft you would get a A grade. Killed it in the lower RDs.

Just a realistic and somewhat optimistic Belichick draft

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I don't really see the hype as a 1st round pick... guy has like 1 INT his entire career. He's good but not #1 CB good from what I have seen so far. 

I agree, but I will go further. I don't see taking any DB in the 1st RD. You take a CB you don't move the needle. You just replace JC Jackson.  I use to think CB was one of the most important position to fill but I completely changed. Mike Haynes would have hard time in today's game. He takes his man out so what the QB just runs if he in man coverage.

Also what the difference if you draft a 2/3 RD CB without a RUSH.

I have a funny feeling they are going to like him as a future LT .. if they grab him I think he plays LG first year then pushes over to LT

I agree 100%. I have this feeling he's the pick at 21. I not thrilled but understand.

I think edge is an underrated need and an underrated failure by this team.. Feels like every year they have drafted at least one and the only good one they have gotten is Judon who they didn't draft. 

I agree. He could be at 21. I have no faith with anyone on the roster. IMO they are all bust. That includes Perkins!!!!

IMO you don't take him unless he falls to th5/6 RD.  One hit from a NFL DB and he's done. This not college ball. He's will now play men!

justin ross clemson wr 2

Love the player however he's off my draft board. Read up on his injury. Its the type that as a player you have to be aware and protect it at all times.  IMO if he had money and this injury occurred he'd retire.

Complete dog. Product of Bama football. He got destroyed at the SR Bowl.

Not a fan to small. Will get tossed lie a rag doll.

I like this player. One I have my eye on in this draft however4/5 RD

UDFA signing waste of draft capital.

cole turner nevada

Inflated numbers. Not a smooth player, lacks body control

-------------------------------------------------

All the rest I don't know well enough to comment or I agree with you. EX eyioma uwazurike ????? No clue. Most likely I passed on him early and never when back for another look.

I do have a life!!!!!! NOT!!!

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

realistic and somewhat optimistic Belichick draft

Laugh, this hit me funny. BB and his drafts, realistic and optimistic is the last thing I feel on draft night.

My feeling draft night, please BB don't screw up and pick some fucowee!!!! from Buckhumb U!!!!

Than its a sure thing, BB take Jordan Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You frigging idiot. 10 minute forty time!!!!

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Didn't even see the mock before lol, I'll start by saying you certainly took a BB approach. He doesn't care if the rest of the world feels he could get a guy 20-40 picks later.. if he wants a guy.. he wants a a guy. 

From a mock perspective my heart aches wanting to min/max projections and get more players ..because it's fun to draft more players! .. from a realistic perspective, BB averages over 9 draft picks a year over the last 10 years if you take out 2017 which is an outlier. I am confident that we will see AT LEAST 2 trades this draft.. one at the top ( could even be as small as moving back a couple picks) and another on day 3. I think BB is going to want as many top 100 picks as he can get because he will have a very small number of tier 1 players, but a BUNCH in tier 2. 

Another note which I am trying to see how it will change my mocks as well is Groh mentioning that they are looking for immediate impact players. To me that is a change from previous drafts where they went very boom or bust ( Easley for instance). 

Totally a BB guy, he is the Kyle Dugger of this draft. I don't think BB would grab him at 21 though.. 33, yes.. but not at 21. If BB really loves Anderson I think he would likely trade back to 30-35 and take him there.. still considered an overdraft by many but he almost guarantees he gets his guy. 

From a Groh perspective.. this one is tough.. he brings the speed perspective that he talked about.. but I don't think he's a day 1 starter. He seems very much like a guy who would be eased in .. like play special teams half the year or limited to certain sub packages as he learns the NFL game. Being a previous QB may help him pick things up more quickly but I worry his lack of NFL readiness could push him down the Patriots board. 

If we go by last year ( when Groh apparently had a huge hand in the draft), 1st and 2nd round picks were immediate contributors .. but then Perkins was a redshirt so that throws a wrench in things. 

If you really don't want to trade out but want to do a BB type pick.. I think it's either Dax Hill or Travis Jones at 21. Both guys would be day 1 starters... and we have to take into account the LT factor as well. 

You really love the super small, fast guys, huh? 

I believe BB will love his special teams value.. but I am very concerned about spending such a high pick on a guy who's 5'8. He's fast and athletic and looks like a good corner.. but slot guys are getting bigger and bigger.. how is he going to handle going up for the ball against who is 4-6 inches taller than him? 

I personally wouldn't touch Jones till day 3, but I know he will end up going in the top 100 so I guess i'm just out on him because of his size. I'm not concerned about the slot position at the moment.. I think a better pick here would have been Zyon McCollum, if teams are starting to love him as much as we think.. 50-65 could be the perfect range to get him. 

Slot still has Jones for 1 year, Bryant who they seem to like a lot, and Shaun Wade can play slot (and probably should). 

Also like this pick... even if the world will tell you that you are grabbing him 60-80 picks too soon. My main question is who do you believe is still on the board at WR at this point? You like him more than Shakir? or is this 100% due to the Rutgers connection? 

- He's fast... really fast.. I LOVE the idea of getting a speed slot for Mac, I think he loves to throw it deep and throwing deep out of the slot was his favorite at Alabama. 

- He had a horrendous QB, it's hard to judge his tape... but he is raw, you're pretty much redshirting him if Agholor is still here or using him exclusively for special teams ( probably redshirt in your scenario because of Jones). Once Meyers and Agholor are gone, he can take over that speed slot and they can look for another UDFA possession guy to go along with him ( Bolden) to keep that Agholor/Meyers slot combo (which I feel like they will love this season) alive

Don't know him but I can understand your reasoning if you hate Asiasi/Keene

The guy who replaced Barmore, right? I think this is a good spot for a developmental guy like him and feel BB will be interested.

At this point I would really be worrying about LG though, really taking a risk asking a guy to start day 1 ( unless you are comfortable with the CFL guy doing it). I haven't watched him so I can't comment too much.. 

I do like that he played C, BB really likes smart players and think it's very likely the LG he grabs will have at least practiced a bit there. I'd recommend also looking into Cade Mays and Jason Poe, both seem like BB guys late

Good pick, good option at receiving back

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

He seems very much like a guy who would be eased in .. like play special teams half the year or limited to certain sub packages as he learns the NFL game.

Idk, I think he would get a healthy amount of RB reps and LB reps. Especially by the end of the year. I think Belichick will like the athleticism too much to pass especially with his legitimate flexibility to play all three phases. He is a combination of Josh Allen's rushing ability and Tremaine Edmunds linebacker range and potential.