All SEC Mock

festiveonion

In an effort to educate myself on all things offseason I thought it best to burn every open tab and second of free time doing mock drafts. As is 'spring' tradition. Naturally I got bored of mundanely picking the same 11 players on every PFF/TDM algorithm driven simulator. So to spice my love life things up lets toxify your retinas with yet another community mock draft post.

Did I mention my wife is out of town? 

Mock drafts are great and all but to really dig deep I've had to self-impose some rules since guessing where 262 kids go in exact order isn't already difficult enough. 

1. Must stay within specific conference
  2. Cannot double dip schools
  3. No trades
  4. Realistic....ish - I'm only taking players who seem like they'd be on the Packers board. This means perceived need. This means high RAS. This means position restrictions apply. For example no 5-8 CB's with plus ball skills and return capabilities no matter how much it fills multiple needs and makes actual sense (looking at you Marcus Jones). The collective we is going for realism no matter how stupidly unlikely this entire exercise presents itself 

Let's get it. 

22. Jameson Williams WR Alabama | 6'1.5 | 180 | RAS: NA

What's that sound? Could it be George Pickens stans cussing relentlessly, slamming car doors, breaking bottles over peoples heads and generally dismissing this sorry excuse for a pretend hypothetic rendition of a real life draft event?  BRO.. how could you do an SEC mock and not include spicy Georgia George P?  Like dis.

Alabama Football Happy Dance GIF by SEC Network

Here's the part where I reword things I've read on 'scouting reports' posted by draftniks with the exact same credentials as myself. The only difference is they're getting paid for it.
ACL tear... shmay....CL... tear... Anyone who watched a Bama game last year knows why he's going here. 
Dude is fast. Sexy eyebrow coach said he wanted speed and deep threats. Cram it in your cram hole LaFleur. 

28. Kaiir Elam CB Florida | 6'1.5 | 190 | RAS: NA

Have I done extensive research on the guy? Nope! But I do know my GM loves him some early round DB's with ball skills and high testing numbahs. QUICK.. ask me if I'm convinced Rasul Douglas is the answer outside? No? The answer is no.. right?          The answer is no. 

4G46MGCNIVFTPPYRKMYXIYPLSM.jpg

53. Quay Walker LB Georgia | 6'3.5 | 240 | RAS: 9.61

It's probably not super likely the Packers target a position the don't usually care about in LB this high in the draft. It also didn't seem likely they would resign a player at a position they don't usually care about in DeVondre Campbell. Maybe the Packers have changed their minds about how important an impact ILB is on their roster. The DC certainly made his presence felt year one. I'm inclined to believe he had a say in the initial signing of Campbell and certainly his resigning. Maybe he has a say in going LB this high. Convincing enough? Meh. 

gaxwgd10qifnqf6xipg7

Walker makes sense. He's sort of a beast actually. Long. Athletic. Fluid. Can blitz. Can disrupt coverages. I'm sold. 

59. Josh Paschal EDGE Kentucky | 6'3 | 270 | RAS: 9.09

kentucky-josh-paschal-announces-decision

You've seen it. You love it. Kentucky is in the SEC for some reason. Yay. 

92. Ed Ingram OL LSU | 6'3 | 310 | RAS: 7.82

Ingram fits the mold of a solid, athletic, mid-round OL with positional flexibility. He can probably spell some tackle. Might be right on the line with that RAS but sue me. 
OL - especially swing tackle - is a need for this team. It's the Packers. If there's any certainty its that they go OL at some point. I won't be surprised when its high. 

L-S-U.jpg

132. Jalen Wydermyer TE Texas A&M | 6'4 | 255| RAS: Yuck

Ok. I get it. But here we are. Yuck. The only draftable TE I could find from the SEC who wasn't from Alabama. Yuck. Also had to bump DeMarvin Leal out for him. Yuck. 

Realistically tho he didn't test at the combine. He looks like he plays fast. He has solid hands. He can YAC. He definitely needs work as a blocker but we have a veteran OL/TE in Lewis to hopefully teach him something. Texas A&M Tight Ends haven't let us down before! ....wait

fb1c3079-84dc-46f9-9b5a-7187647a960e-USA

140. Matthew Butler DL Tennassee | 6'4 | 300 |  RAS: 7.01

He has some really solid tools. Looks the part for sure. Rotational guy with Slaton. Need to address the spot for sure. Packers probably want to higher than this but isn't the worst thing in the world. 

Screen-Shot-2021-09-15-at-6.09.37-AM.png

171. ZaQuandrae White HB South Carolina | 6'0  | 205 | RAS: NA

Shifty af. I can't quite pinpoint who he reminds me of but he's a fun watch. 
It's likely Aaron Jones isn't on the team next year unless he restructures (again) so its a position that will get targeted draft weekend. Let's get a good one. 

gettyimages-1236707786-594x594-1.jpg

228. Smoke Monday S Auburn | 6'2 | 210 | RAS: 9.19

Physical box guy. Safety - like OL and RB- is a pseudo 'need'. Insurance for Savage. Amos is getting up there. Black is a JAG. We want special teams and we want it now. 

gettyimages-1237528994-594x594-1.jpeg

249. Tre Williams Arkansas EDGE | 6'4  | 250 | RAS: NA

Edge is worth a double dip. He fits the profile of a bigger guy out there. And not just cause I'm trying to find a prospect to like...fill out this draft.. and its getting much harder than I thought... haha... heh... ha

UA-TEXAS-FB_011_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadcc

258. Braylon Sanders WR Mississippi | 6'0 | 195| RAS: 8.32

You just put a guy here to fill the 'Mississippi" spot. 
Yeah pretty much. But the RAS thooooo0oo0. 

Screen-Shot-2019-08-28-at-4.58.16-AM.png

Wydermyer tested atrociously at his Pro Day. His 40 time was north of 5.00. I never understood the love for him. People were talking about him as TE1 when I started watching film a couple of months ago. There have been a few guys that I was sour on before the combine that tested so poorly that everybody now has them ranked where I had them 2 months ago (Spiller, Kyren Williams, David Bell, Wydermyer).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

Wydermyer tested atrociously at his Pro Day. His 40 time was north of 5.00. I never understood the love for him. People were talking about him as TE1 when I started watching film a couple of months ago. There have been a few guys that I was sour on before the combine that tested so poorly that everybody now has them ranked where I had them 2 months ago (Spiller, Kyren Williams, David Bell, Wydermyer).

I don't disagree lol. I don't think he's on high on the Packers board either. We aren't privy to the same RAS the higher ups in the Packers FO are.  Wydermyer tested like **** but he doesn't look it on Saturdays. I tried to make that known in his quote - unquote  'write up'.

That being said with the restrictions I stupidly put on myself there wasn't really a draftable prospect to fill that TE slot in the SEC.

...which probably means I shouldn't have drafted one. Which explains again why I'm not doing this for money.

30 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

I love your choice of Josh Paschal almost as much as your hilarious writing style!

Thanks mate!

Pascal seems like a guy we'd like quite honestly. He's at least an easy guy to feel for during the process. Seems like a good kid. Was definitely raised right. 

Not sure what our OLB room looks like with Barry. He's got an archetype on the roster already. If he wants to keep it going this is definitely one of their guys. 

• Like 1