NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Nets have leverage especially since the Lakers are the only viable option and they can't offer anything other than an expiring deal back that also requires the Nets to include Joe Harris or Seth Curry.

How do the Nets have leverage when they only have one suitor?

Just now, CWood21 said:

How do the Nets have leverage when they only have one suitor?

Because that one suitors only path to getting a deal done is built around a negative asset that also requires the team to include another good player. The Nets aren't in a rush to duck the tax so why give up Kyrie for literally nothing in return?

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Because that one suitors only path to getting a deal done is built around a negative asset that also requires the team to include another good player. The Nets aren't in a rush to duck the tax so why give up Kyrie for literally nothing in return?

And their other option at this point is hope that Kyrie Irving isn't a malcontent?

Just now, NYRaider said:

NBA Today mentioned it, lol.

I'm just saying.  You got KAT to commit to the super-max deal, and he's playing with one of his best friends.  I don't think they're going to do anything to jeopardize pissing him off.

Just now, CWood21 said:

And their other option at this point is hope that Kyrie Irving isn't a malcontent?

Is it any different then last season? How does trading him away, along with Curry/Harris potentially, just to do it for Westbrook help the team in any way shape or form? His expiring contract? If only Kyrie had an expiring deal, oh wait, he does at a lower price then Russ and it doesn't require they trade another player away too.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm just saying.  You got KAT to commit to the super-max deal, and he's playing with one of his best friends.  I don't think they're going to do anything to jeopardize pissing him off.

DLo is on an expiring and almost certainly gone after this season. If they're going to try and make a title push that's one of those moves that could put you over the top. And it doesn't really hurt them long term because they're not resigning DLo anyways. They were actively shopping him all the way leading up to the draft.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Is it any different then last season? How does trading him away, along with Curry/Harris potentially, just to do it for Westbrook help the team in any way shape or form? His expiring contract? If only Kyrie had an expiring deal, oh wait, he does at a lower price then Russ and it doesn't require they trade another player away too.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting moving Kyrie for Westbrook without picks coming back.  I think it's Curry with 2 picks coming back vs Harris with one pick coming back.

If the Heat miss on Durant/Donovan, I wouldn't be surprised if they go all in on a 1 year Kyrie rental to push for a title. They'd likely be getting out of Lowry's deal and avoid having to extend Herro to a huge deal in the process.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DLo is on an expiring and almost certainly gone after this season. If they're going to try and make a title push that's one of those moves that could put you over the top. And it doesn't really hurt them long term because they're not resigning DLo anyways. They were actively shopping him all the way leading up to the draft.

Not that I follow the Wolves in the slightest, but why is it almost certain D'Angelo Russell is gone in a year?

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting moving Kyrie for Westbrook without picks coming back.  I think it's Curry with 2 picks coming back vs Harris with one pick coming back.

You said you don't see a way they move Kyrie without taking bad, long term money back. Considering what they're asking for Durant I don't even think they're going to trade either one at this point.

Just now, NYRaider said:

If the Heat miss on Durant/Donovan, I wouldn't be surprised if they go all in on a 1 year Kyrie rental to push for a title. They'd likely be getting out of Lowry's deal and avoid having to extend Herro to a huge deal in the process.

They're not giving up Herro for Kyrie.  I could see Lowry and their FRP in 2023, but I really don't see them including Herro in an Irving deal.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Not that I follow the Wolves in the slightest, but why is it almost certain D'Angelo Russell is gone in a year?

Hard to make a legitimate title push when you have max or near max money committed to a guard that shoots 40% from the field.