NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Just now, THE DUKE said:

I could see the overpay if you think he is the final piece to try to win a championship, but you better have a #1 option already, and you can kiss flexibility goodbye.  Also don't expect him to score 30+ on a better team with other scorers.

Obviously not but he has already shown he can be the 2nd best player on a good playoff team with healthy Wall...

Just now, NYRaider said:

Beal clearly isn't the #1 option on a title team but if he went somewhere like Philadelphia or Boston I think he could help them get over the top.

I think Beal can help a team currently constructed to win that needs a scorer.  Like he would fit in great in LA (either team), maybe Philly (although he and Harden would be laughable on defense), would probably help Denver a ton or maybe a team like Milwaukee if they didnt have to give up Middleton or Jrue but that wont happen.  Brooklyn if he can replace Kyrie would be a solid move.  Miami would be ok if he can replace Herro in the playoffs. But a lot of these are unlikely to happen given cap situations.  He has to go somewhere knowing he is a 3rd best player on a team and get paid like it or he will go down as a horrible contract getting passed around next year. 

I dont think he makes Boston better if they have to give up Smart and White for him as the loss of defense and depth would be worse for the them as a whole.  Especially with two other leading scorers on the team.  They dont need a 30 points per game scorer taking the ball out of Tatum or Browns hands, they need Williams to stay healthy and have Tatum continue to get better and more consistent. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Beal can help a team currently constructed to win that needs a scorer.  Like he would fit in great in LA (either team), maybe Philly (although he and Harden would be laughable on defense), would probably help Denver a ton or maybe a team like Milwaukee if they didnt have to give up Middleton or Jrue but that wont happen.  Brooklyn if he can replace Kyrie would be a solid move.  Miami would be ok if he can replace Herro in the playoffs. But a lot of these are unlikely to happen given cap situations.  He has to go somewhere knowing he is a 3rd best player on a team and get paid like it or he will go down as a horrible contract getting passed around next year. 

I dont think he makes Boston better if they have to give up Smart and White for him as the loss of defense and depth would be worse for the them as a whole.  Especially with two other leading scorers on the team.  They dont need a 30 points per game scorer taking the ball out of Tatum or Browns hands, they need Williams to stay healthy and have Tatum continue to get better and more consistent. 

When Wall was healthy the Wizards looked like they were poised to become one of the better teams in the NBA. His max deal and injuries killed their roster flexibility so they’ve been one of the least talented teams in the NBA. AD wasn’t a winner in New Orleans as the #1 option but when his circumstances changed he won. 

Boston’s downfall in the finals was they only had 2 players that could score and they both were slowed down. They didn’t even score 100 points in the last 3 or 4 games of the finals. 

If it seems like I'm being harsh on these guys realize it's because I have a high standard of excellence. These are the only guys who I can say with certainty are #1 caliber guys on a title team right now.

Giannis

Jokic

Luka

Steph

Kawhi

Butler

LeBron/Durant probably could but who knows next year with the aging and durability problems. Tatum is borderline. Embiid is good enough but needs to prove he's mentally tough enough to do it. No one else is in consideration.

• Like 1

Brad Beal in 45 career playoff games: 23.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.5 spg on 45/35/82 splits. 

The Wizards have made the playoffs in 5/10 years he has been there. Surprising because I was told that Collin Sexton is better… 

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

If it seems like I'm being harsh on these guys realize it's because I have a high standard of excellence. These are the only guys who I can say with certainty are #1 caliber guys on a title team right now.

Giannis

Jokic

Luka

Steph

Kawhi

Butler

LeBron/Durant probably could but who knows next year with the aging and durability problems. Tatum is borderline. Embiid is good enough but needs to prove he's mentally tough enough to do it. No one else is in consideration.

Jokic and Luka are #1 guys on championship caliber teams but Tatum isn’t? Interesting… did you happen to watch the NBA finals this year?

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We've literally never seen Beal in a good situation so how can you say that he's not someone that could help a good team? Wiggins couldn't either, funny what happened when he went somewhere good...

Wiggins went to a good situation as a young player, and was a dud.  Beal is known as a scorer only. Going to a team where he needs to be more than just a scorer is not ideal.  Paying for the unknown is risky, and based on the years of data, I dont expect Beal to all of a sudden be a good defender.  Wiggins was in a system that he was supposed to be the lead guy but didn't know how or wasn't good enough in that role.  They got lucky that being around the right guys and coaches worked but until this playoffs they still kept talking about him being a bad contract and likely to get traded.  Wiggins is still overpaid on a season long basis but he did have a great series in his role.  

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jokic and Luka are #1 guys on championship caliber teams but Tatum isn’t? Interesting… did you happen to watch the NBA finals this year?

Wanna compare how all 3 played against the champs? 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Brad Beal in 45 career playoff games: 23.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.8 apg, 1.5 spg on 45/35/82 splits. 

The Wizards have made the playoffs in 5/10 years he has been there. Surprising because I was told that Collin Sexton is better… 

I said Sexton at 20M is better than Beal at 45M.  If Beal wants to play for 20 or maybe even 30, sure.  If I have to give him 45, no interest. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Wiggins went to a good situation as a young player, and was a dud.  Beal is known as a scorer only. Going to a team where he needs to be more than just a scorer is not ideal.  Paying for the unknown is risky, and based on the years of data, I dont expect Beal to all of a sudden be a good defender.  Wiggins was in a system that he was supposed to be the lead guy but didn't know how or wasn't good enough in that role.  They got lucky that being around the right guys and coaches worked but until this playoffs they still kept talking about him being a bad contract and likely to get traded.  Wiggins is still overpaid on a season long basis but he did have a great series in his role.  

I wouldn't say Beal is just a scorer, he's a very good overall offensive player. He has really improved as a playmaker over the last couple of years. Washington has made the playoffs in 5/10 years, how many times has Sexton contributed for a playoff team again?

Edited by NYRaider

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I said Sexton at 20M is better than Beal at 45M.  If Beal wants to play for 20 or maybe even 30, sure.  If I have to give him 45, no interest. 

You said that Sexton could average 30+ ppg on the same efficiency as Beal, lol.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You said that Sexton could average 30+ ppg on the same efficiency as Beal, lol.

Scoring wise, if on a bad team, he could take a couple more shots a game and be there.  Being on bad teams and taking a ton of shots isn't special.  Sexton may not hit 30 a game with 5 more shots a game but it would be close, especially if he is in play for the top pick each year. 

Would I prefer a playmaker who can score 25/5/5 at 20M or a guy who can average 30/5/5 at 45M when both are bad defenders? I for sure would sacrifice a few points a game to be able to pay another player like John Collins. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Scoring wise, if on a bad team, he could take a couple more shots a game and be there.  Being on bad teams and taking a ton of shots isn't special.  Sexton may not hit 30 a game with 5 more shots a game but it would be close, especially if he is in play for the top pick each year. 

Would I prefer a playmaker who can score 25/5/5 at 20M or a guy who can average 30/5/5 at 45M when both are bad defenders? I for sure would sacrifice a few points a game to be able to pay another player like John Collins. 

Sexton has been on bad teams his entire career though so why hasn't he done it?

I personally don't think Beal is worth $50M but he has shown that he can be a contributor for a playoff team. Sexton hasn't and his lack of size creates a ton of issues defensively in the playoffs.