All coaching discussion

warfelg

Instead of ending up jumping around to different threads maybe it would be nice for one spot to be for all conversations. 

Found this on SI this morning and found it rather interesting:

Anyway, here’s a look at the record of college coaches hired into the NFL since 2000:

Urban Meyer, Jaguars 2–11

Matt Rhule, Panthers 11–27

Kliff Kingsbury, Cardinals 26–27–1

Bill O’Brien, Texans 52–48

Chip Kelly, Eagles 26–21, 49ers 2–14

Doug Marrone, Bills 15–17, Jaguars 23–43

Greg Schiano, Buccaneers 11–21

Jim Harbaugh, 49ers 44–19–1

Pete Carroll, Seahawks 121–76–1

Lane Kiffin, Raiders 5–15

Bobby Petrino, Falcons 3–10

Nick Saban, Dolphins 15–17

Steve Spurrier, Washington 12–20

Butch Davis, Browns 24–35

Not a wildly successful group, of course. But of the group of 14, I’d call two big successes (Harbaugh, Carroll), and four more moderate successes (O’Brien, Kingsbury, Kelly, Marrone). And while that’s not a great rate … is it that much worse than the track record that NFL assistants have? It’s really actually not.

It really highlights how finding good coaching is such a challenge. Not much of a worse record for those guys than NFL assistants. That’s a record of 392-416-3 for college coaches in the NFL. 
Just some food for thought when looking at recommending names for anything. 

I kinda wanna see the steelers bring in Mark whipple as a offensive assistant. Has a lot of history with Kenny, already worked with the steelers and is known to run pass heavy pro-style offense. I don't want him as a OC, but as a QB coach/assistant. I think he could help install a more complex passing playbook that we desperately need.

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

I kinda wanna see the steelers bring in Mark whipple as a offensive assistant. Has a lot of history with Kenny, already worked with the steelers and is known to run pass heavy pro-style offense. I don't want him as a OC, but as a QB coach/assistant. I think he could help install a more complex passing playbook that we desperately need.

I know I gave my thoughts elsewhere but keep Mark Sullivan as QB coach and bring in Jeff Stoutland as the OC.  One spot I do think that a few have it right is that going back to college ranks for a coach wouldn't be smart.  But I disagree with needing someone who's a proven play caller.  You can easily pigeonhole yourself into a bad hire with that.  You need to find a guy you feel has a good pulse on how to balance and work things.  Someone with a good concept of how to move defenses.

• Like 1