An Analytic Analysis On Team Offense

TheRealMcCoy

Thought you guys would be interested in this.

My takeaway for the Lakers is that they did a lot more PnR than the Warriors (team where Luke Walton came from).

Lakers ran PnR (Ball Handler + Roll) 35.7%, while the Warriors ran the PnR a league low 14.9%.

Warriors are such an analytically inclined team. Cutting actions are the most efficient action at 1.25 PPP (Points Per Possession) and the Warriors lead the league by far in using them.  Then, the second most efficient action is transition and the Warriors also run the highest amount of that as well.

I went ahead and splitted this topic from the offseason thread.  Feel this deserves a thread in itself.

How much of the Warriors' offensive success is based on the sheer amount of talent they have?  I mean, is there any franchise that can boast the offensive firepower of Curry, Klay, and Durant?  No.  If you're going to compare offensive firepower of Golden State, the closest comparison would be Houston.  Houston ran a similar amount of transition offense, but more than 7% more PnR BH but it falls right in terms of league average.

Thanks CWood. I thought maybe I should make a thread, but I wasn't sure.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I went ahead and splitted this topic from the offseason thread.  Feel this deserves a thread in itself.

How much of the Warriors' offensive success is based on the sheer amount of talent they have?  I mean, is there any franchise that can boast the offensive firepower of Curry, Klay, and Durant?  No.  If you're going to compare offensive firepower of Golden State, the closest comparison would be Houston.  Houston ran a similar amount of transition offense, but more than 7% more PnR BH but it falls right in terms of league average.

I mean talent is obviously a huge part of it, but they also run great sets and are definitely analytically inclined. I think Kerr and company know that the numbers say that an offense with more movement (player and ball) is more efficient than one that runs mainly through one player and the PnR.

Hopefully Luke and the Lakers realize this and change our offense up and run better stuff this year.

One thing that will help us is that Lonzo will increase our transition action to maybe 1st in the league (ahead of the Rockets and Warriors). Lonzo is also a fantastic cutter (most efficient play type), but my issue with that is who will find him? We really don't have a good creator for him to feed off. The next best we have at handling and passing would probably be Ingram.

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

mean talent is obviously a huge part of it, but they also run great sets and are definitely analytically inclined. I think Kerr and company know that the numbers say that an offense with more movement (player and ball) is more efficient than one that runs mainly through one player and the PnR.

Hopefully Luke and the Lakers realize this and change our offense up and run better stuff this year.

One thing that will help us is that Lonzo will increase our transition action to maybe 1st in the league (ahead of the Rockets and Warriors). Lonzo is also a fantastic cutter (most efficient play type), but my issue with that is who will find him? We really don't have a good creator for him to feed off. The next best we have at handling and passing would probably be Ingram

I guess I view Golden State as someone whose above the concept, given how much sheer talent they have on their roster.  Does analytics play into their production?  Probably, but not everyone can match them in terms of talent so teams have to improve where they can.  I think you'd be better off looking at the top 10 teams in terms of production, and see what they have in common.  Looking at ISO%, the only teams that have above 10% are the Cavaliers and Clippers, which can be accounted for by LeBron James and Chris Paul.  I believe that was one of things that Ballmer referenced in his interview with Woj after the CP3 trade.  And when you look at cutting offense, only the Warriors are above the league average mark so that probably isn't where the increased production is coming from.

It's good info but doesn't really tell you the action they did to get that shot. It gives you the end but not the means. So it doesn't really give you a good indication of what teams are running. I'd be more interested in how often teams ran PrN, iso, off screen, etc and how efficient they were in the plays those actions were ran.

Cause teams are obviously getting way more than 6-7% of their offense from PnR.

Archived