2023 Mock Draft thread

Forge

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I actually like a few of the tackles in the mid to late rounds. I don't have any safeties that I'm a fan of later on and tight ends I'm very meh on by the time the end of the third rolls around. 

I quite like guys like Brown and Skinner but i don't really see the combo with Huf being ideal which makes it tough. Tackles to me are always a tough one. Like i don't mind some of them but i also don't have one guy i am like i really like what he could be. TE will really depend on how the draft falls to me. If hey go early it will be tough. If they go slightly later than you have a lot of options. Its just in most mock simulators i have done you either have to grab a guy like Kuntz in the third or you are picking up scraps.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't like Edge for the most part. There are interesting late round projects, but I think the middle part of the edge class is pretty rough. I think that the first round after Anderson is rough, and then there's a spot in the second round, after guys like Hall and Foskey come off the board where I Just have no interest until day three for the most part.  I'm not going to hate if we pick Yaya Diaby in the third, but I won't love it. I'll more or less just understand it. 

I feel there is interesting guys even in the middle. A guy like Nate Herbig if he is there at our third is i would have no problem taking. I don't think you play him as a DE in our scheme but i can see him as a base LB and then let him rush on passing downs. And there is a bunch more guys where i think if you put them in a rotation i think they can be a worthy pick. 

Every year, I kind of pick and choose among the guys that the 9ers bring in for official visits and imagine us drafting the ones that I like and ignoring the ones that I don't. Spencer Burford was well telegraphed, along with Kalia Davis. But I was surprised by Ty-Davis Price even though he was on the official list because he seemed to make so little sense that it almost felt like obfuscation. So I guess I'll go through the official visit list so far.

1. Anyhow, most of this is to say that I kind of hate Cameron Latu. Being small and stiff and mostly only catching passes when the defense completely forgets you exist is not my jam. I would not draft him period and would probably not bring him in as a priority UDFA. Much, much prefer Kuntz among their visit/virtual convo list.

2. YaYa Diaby is whatever. If he's a fifth + pick, I'd much rather him with that asset than McGuire in the third. Both kind of stiffer jumbo ends to kick inside. Ditto for Tavius Robinson later in the seventh or as a UDFA.

3. I like Terell Smith, but mostly after the third round. One year good starters at corner are rough for me. Feels kind of like Ambry Thomas in theory as a sort of press corner with a body that can handle a bit of everything. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in taking him as much as some of the past third round picks we'd have, but I'd be a bit whelmed. Not over or under, just whelmed. Hopefully he is considered more as a part of group five than as his own group earlier on.

4. Atonio Mafi is fine. I'm not particularly excited about him. Kind of feels like a less athletic Sean Rhyan from last year, who we also brought in. Lot of experience zone blocking. Bulky. Can move guys if you run some man stuff. I guess there are worse options and the team has been looking for bigger guards and I think might very well be looking to move Burford to tackle at some point after he's gotten some seasoning. 

5. Steven Jones and Lance Boykin feel like later round athletic flyers at corner. Fine with bringing them in and giving them a look, but not interested in spending a quality asset to do so. 

6. Marte Mapu has been talked about - looking to try and get Fred Warner lite. I kind of think he gets taken before we're interested in taking a linebacker. My guess is that we just want him as a fifth+ round flyer. 

7. Jordan Howden is interesting. Got a range of draft grades on him. Tested like a talented athlete. Played well at the higher safety role by my eye. Maybe they looked into the more expected safety names and bounced off for whatever reason? Maybe they didn't like the price?

8. I like DTR, but more as an athletic + accuracy flyer. I thought he was legit impressive on a UCLA team last year that lacked weapons and while he was late to break out (and still takes longer than I'd like to get rid of the ball some times in addition to the decision making issues), some of that is the Chip Kelly tons of mesh and curls offense they were running. Hard to get rid of the ball quick when you are waiting for a crosser to develop. Tough to make great decisions on all curls. Not my favorite passing game, and I'd like to see what use DTR could put his intermediate accuracy to with his averagy starter arm to in a better offense. All of the work on him seems like he is basically a guarantee to be drafted if he reaches the fifth round. I kind of wonder whether they want more of him than just as a priority draft flyer option? But if they did some thing like trade Lance for a 2nd + 4th and maneuvered around in the third round to ensure that they got DTR after, I would not be surprised.  

Edited by JIllg

ESPN Insider's 3 round mock gave the 49ers the following 3, done by Kiper & McShay.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36187198/three-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-predict-102-picks-alternating-all-32-teams

99- OT/G Joey Fisher, Shepherd

101- DE YaYa Diaby, Louisville

102- CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, TCU

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erscap said:

ESPN Insider's 3 round mock gave the 49ers the following 3, done by Kiper & McShay.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36187198/three-round-2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-predict-102-picks-alternating-all-32-teams

99- OT/G Joey Fisher, Shepherd

101- DE YaYa Diaby, Louisville

102- CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, TCU

I'm at a point where I would be absolutely floored if we don't take Mapu with one of these three picks, but I do think that this is a reasonable grouping of players for us to select. Diaby is a guy that I have high on my probability list as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a PFF mock . I have heard of about half the players I drafted!  I like my O-line depth though.  Moving the Michigan guy to Guard

• SF
    Israel Abanikanda
    RB Pittsburgh

• SF
    Zach Harrison
    EDGE Ohio State

• SF
    Tyler Steen
    OT Alabama

• SF
    Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan