[Round 1; 17th Overall] Patriots Select Christian Gonzalez - CB - Oregon

Nex_Gen

On 4/27/2023 at 11:56 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Does beg the question, why did he drop?

unless other teams just fell in love with their prospects

Some people don’t believe he has that fire in him. He did almost quit football in high school because he wasn’t getting playing time. CJ Henderson was said to have a similar personality. I see Gonzo play with some swagger on the field though so meh. Hoping for the best for him and I am sure Bill will get the most out of him.

When visiting the facility, Mike Tomlin inquired about why the breakout junior transferred to Oregon after beginning his career with Colorado. Gonzalez explained that he was simply following his position coach to his new school. Tomlin was hoping to hear him say something along the lines of facing better competition but was left underwhelmed by Gonzalez's answer. 

Later that day, Tomlin was then heard telling one of the Steelers stars, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that he didn't think Gonzalez had the "competitive edge" and that they wouldn't be seeing him again. 

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Some people don’t believe he has that fire in him. He did almost quit football in high school because he wasn’t getting playing time. CJ Henderson was said to have a similar personality. I see Gonzo play with some swagger on the field though so meh. Hoping for the best for him and I am sure Bill will get the most out of him.

When visiting the facility, Mike Tomlin inquired about why the breakout junior transferred to Oregon after beginning his career with Colorado. Gonzalez explained that he was simply following his position coach to his new school. Tomlin was hoping to hear him say something along the lines of facing better competition but was left underwhelmed by Gonzalez's answer. 

Later that day, Tomlin was then heard telling one of the Steelers stars, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that he didn't think Gonzalez had the "competitive edge" and that they wouldn't be seeing him again. 

Thanks

To me, that seems like quite a jump to make . Unless there’s more to it, they could decipher that he doesn’t have competitive edge based on that??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Thanks

To me, that seems like quite a jump to make . Unless there’s more to it, they could decipher that he doesn’t have competitive edge based on that??

You guys also hired Oregon’s oline coach from last year and while not Gonzo’s side of the ball he was around the kid and I am sure if he had some flags Adrian Klemm would have spoken up about it.

• Like 1