Who leads the team is sacks.

onejayhawk

I asked this last year in spite of Chris Jones being the obvious answer. 

Is it still true, or is one of the DE going to take over the mantle?

We should remember that George Karlaftis had only 1/2 sack through ten games in 2022. He finished with 5 1/2 sacks in seven games--a 13+ sack pace--and he had another in the Conference Championship game. If anything FAU is more of a natural pass rusher than GK. 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, mayanfootball said:

Philosophically, i'm still a 4-3 guy. We don't have a Lawrence Taylor, or Derrick Thomas to make the 3-4 really work.

Stop 'em at the LOS is easier with a quality 4-3.

3-4 is historically better at stopping the run and 4-3 is better at rushing the passer. 

I know we have no LT or DT, but does even Micah Parsons fit that bill? The question is whether Gay or Chanel can become a Melvin Ingram. It's too early to tell but both show promise. In any event, getting six sacks from either Gay or Chenal seems reasonable if that is the way we want to play this season.  

Edited by onejayhawk

I'm going to go against the grain and say Danna. Last year he was just one behind Karlaftis in sacks, even with Clark, and one ahead of Dunlap, despite seeing far fewer snaps than the first two, and about 100 snaps less than Dunlap. He's penciled in as a starter, based on preseason treatment is definitely seen as the starter across from Karlaftis, he won't miss time like Omenihu and will definitely see the field before FAU just from experience. I think Karlaftis will probably be our best overall DL, but Danna might wind up with the flashiest pass rush numbers.

Unless Jones shows up magically in the next 24 hours.

I can see Danna getting a significant increase in snaps this season, particularly if CJ is slow getting back or up to speed. 

That said, I doubt MD hits double figures or challenges GK. As noted, Karlaftis finished very strong. I feel six sacks is his floor for a healthy season and double digits is easily possible.