Week-To-Week Random Tidbits

D82

1 minute ago, PincheJimmy said:

So, is Dak gonna be worth the extension he gonna get ?

I don't know how you can even question it at this point.  Finding a guy like Dak who's currently a Top 5 QB in the NFL and making a run at the MVP this season is going to be worth whatever Top money out there says he's worth, otherwise you're risking spending another 20 years in purgatory with the Quincy Carters.  The fact we hit on back to back mid-late round QB's as a franchise is nothing short of a miracle.

13 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I don't know how you can even question it at this point.  Finding a guy like Dak who's currently a Top 5 QB in the NFL and making a run at the MVP this season is going to be worth whatever Top money out there says he's worth, otherwise you're risking spending another 20 years in purgatory with the Quincy Carters.  The fact we hit on back to back mid-late round QB's as a franchise is nothing short of a miracle.

I totally agree with you , I posed this question because earlier this season, there was a post about a “QB controversy” , I’m just wondering if those same guys still believe in what they posted about Dak 

14 minutes ago, PincheJimmy said:

I totally agree with you , I posed this question because earlier this season, there was a post about a “QB controversy” , I’m just wondering if those same guys still believe in what they posted about Dak 

I'll field this one. I was the guy calling for Lance to step in after the Ariz loss. I believed, and still believe, Dak has hit his ceiling as a starting QB. And I dont want to hear about stats. Because frankly, we haven't been lighting it up in recent weeks. 

10 points, 20 points and 20 points is hardly dominating.

Now we're going against a 4-12 team with the Div on the line and people on here are questioning our QBs ability to perform in outdoor, damn, cold conditions? Are you frickin kidding me???

I get this is a pu$$ified generation, but to concede and accept the weather as a reasonable excuse for losing a game of this magnitude against a horrible team, before the game even starts, based on our QBs previous play in years past in these situations is beyond pu$$ification!

In short, I will say this. Daks game has improved in leaps and bounds. He managed to keep his INT rate under 10 while doubling his completions, TDs, and helping receivers like Lamb and Ferguson reach their potential. Thats nice.

Lead this team to a title or at least an appearance and then I will admit I was wrong.

Because, outside of personal stats, what has he done differently?

We were 12-5 in the previous 2 years, assuming we win on Sunday, won the division, list in the 2nd round.

WC last year, lost to SF. 

So, speaking from the teams accomplishments, nothing has changed.

Take us to the NFCCG or SB or, dare I say, win the frickin thing, and I will admit I was wrong.

But from where we are standing now, Dak is still at his ceiling, 1 and done in post season play.

4 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I'll field this one. I was the guy calling for Lance to step in after the Ariz loss. I believed, and still believe, Dak has hit his ceiling as a starting QB. And I dont want to hear about stats. Because frankly, we haven't been lighting it up in recent weeks. 

Now we're going against a 4-12 team with the Div on the line and people on here are questioning our QBs ability to perform in outdoor, damn, cold conditions? Are you frickin kidding me???

I get this is a pu$$ified generation, but to concede and accept the weather as a reasonable excuse for losing a game of this magnitude against a horrible team, before the game even starts, based on our QBs previous play in years past in these situations is beyond pu$$ification!

In short, I will say this. Daks game has improved in leaps and bounds. He managed to keep his INT rate under 10 while doubling his completions, TDs, and helping receivers like Lamb and Ferguson reach their potential. Thats nice.

Lead this team to a title or at least an appearance and then I will admit I was wrong.

We were 12-5 in the previous 2 years, assuming we win on Sunday, won the division, list in the 2nd round.

Take us to the NFCCG or SB or, dare I say, win the frickin thing, and I will admit I was wrong.

But from where we are standing now, Dak is still at his ceiling, 1 and done in post season play.

Who is questioning Dak's ability to play in outdoor cold conditions?  

Putting the team's post-season success completely on Dak is disingenuous and belongs heavier on McCarthy.  Dak can only control so much of what goes on on offense (WR fumbling into the end zone from the 1, our FB fumbling at the 1, easy catches being dropped, etc...) let alone defense, special teams, play calls, clock management, etc.  

Would it be nice to have some post-season success? Absolutely - but that's not how you determine a QB's ceiling.  Same thing with Romo.  At this point, Dak is doing everything you can ask for from an NFL QB and has had us competitive in every single post-season game he's started, to the tune of 1560yds 11TD and 5INTs in 6 games.  HE has 15 4Q Comebacks and 23 Game-winning Drives, including one in the postseason vs Seattle.

You have a QB who is leading the NFL right now in TD:TO ratio for starters, has one of the lowest INT% in the NFL and is putting up 4500yds and 30+ TD's routinely, but we're saying it's time to move on and see what we have in Lance?!

1 minute ago, MaddHatter said:

Who is questioning Dak's ability to play in outdoor cold conditions?  

Putting the team's post-season success completely on Dak is disingenuous and belongs heavier on McCarthy.  Dak can only control so much of what goes on on offense (WR fumbling into the end zone from the 1, our FB fumbling at the 1, easy catches being dropped, etc...) let alone defense, special teams, play calls, clock management, etc.  

Would it be nice to have some post-season success? Absolutely - but that's not how you determine a QB's ceiling.  Same thing with Romo.  At this point, Dak is doing everything you can ask for from an NFL QB and has had us competitive in every single post-season game he's started, to the tune of 1560yds 11TD and 5INTs in 6 games.  HE has 15 4Q Comebacks and 23 Game-winning Drives, including one in the postseason vs Seattle.

You have a QB who is leading the NFL right now in TD:TO ratio for starters, has one of the lowest INT% in the NFL and is putting up 4500yds and 30+ TD's routinely, but we're saying it's time to move on and see what we have in Lance?!

Last year's loss to SF in the playoffs can be traced to 4 miscues by Dak Prescott:

1. Just before the half we were driving, he was late on his delivery to Lamb, pass was INT. Had we scored, even a FG on that drive, we got the 2nd half KO. Score there and we are up 2 scores. Any coach at any level will tell you a team up 2 scores in tge 2nd half of a game has a huge advantage over the other team.

2. The deep pass to Lamb, which he caught in acrobatic fashion, resulted in a PI call. Had that ball been placed in front of Lamb and thats a TD.

3. Very next play, locked onto Lamb, missed A wide open easy TD to TY Hilton I believe, he was WIDE OPEN! Dak forced a pass into double coverage.

4. Desperation time, 4th quarter, 4th down, Gallup got behind the defense, the pass was 5 yards over his opposite shoulder. Had it been on target, 1st and 10 at SF 48 yard line at minimum.

So, don't give me this, "he was competitive in the game" stuff.

Yes he was, but the signature plays, I pointed out 4, are the ones that separate the Champions from the "yeah buts".

I've had it with moral victories, lovable losers, close but no cigars. 

The real great ones make even one of those plays and that is how their team moves on.

As for who is questioning his ability to play in the cold? Go to the Game day thread and read thru it, you will find the answers to that question.

24 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Sounds good , at least they in the playoffs, . You gave up on the season in October 🤷‍♂️, and here they are with a strong chance for the #2 seed , I would think you get some joy from that but I guess not 🙄

• Like 1

Just now, PincheJimmy said:

Sounds good , at least they in the playoffs, . You gave up on the season in October 🤷‍♂️, and here they are with a strong chance for the #2 seed , I would think you get some joy from that but I guess not 🙄

Always happy to see them in the post-season. That means they have a chance.

As for "possibly winning the NFC East" it hasn't happened yet.

And to your point, I did give up on Prescott after the Ariz loss. He has proven me wrong to this point. But he still hasn't proven to me that he can get us to a title game or SB. That is the question on the table presently.

I have taken joy in years past at winning the East or having the #1 seed, only to have it blow up in my face like an Acme dynamite kit.

So, yeah, I'm not the Wylie Coyote type that keeps coming back to celebrate failure.

Reach your potential and I will find you again.

31 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Has he been worth his last one to you?

Well, he has back to back 12-5 season since that signing and won an East title. This year , he’s having his best year yet, so yeah, I think he’s been worth the contract that he signed. If getting to the Super Bowl is the end all, then 90 percent of QB’s are vastly overpaid 🤷‍♂️

Look, let me be clear. I like Prescott, has been playing excellent ball lately. His game has improved.

But the situation is still the same as the previous 2 years:

Double digit wins with a ticket stamped to the postseason.

That's it. Nothing has changed for better or worse and we will not know the answer to whether or not it will until another 2 weeks.

Some posted on this thread if I still feel as though calling for Daks replacement in October was premature?

I owned it, saud I was the guy. But the answer to that question is this, has proven me wrong since that game but he still has to show me in the post season. If he comes out and plays like he did against SF last year, I will stand by my previous statement because all he has shown me is he beats bad competition and cannot compete against equal or better talent. And if that is the case his value, thus late in his career, has to be examined as to is he more valuable as trade bait or do we stand him up there next year, cross our fingers and hope he gets it right next year?

If he advances this team to the NFCCG or SB, then that constitutes progress and he has earned the right to try again.

Just my opinion, but if you keep running into the brick wall on your journey, at what point do you try walking around it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PincheJimmy said:

Well, he has back to back 12-5 season since that signing and won an East title. This year , he’s having his best year yet, so yeah, I think he’s been worth the contract that he signed. If getting to the Super Bowl is the end all, then 90 percent of QB’s are vastly overpaid 🤷‍♂️

I don't give a damn about other QBs. You see, that's the problem, you keep comparing our guy to a bunch of other QBs that can't win a title either, so in your mind, that's okay.

Stop comparing yourself to the have nots, you will only become one of them.

Start holding yourself to a higher standard, the haves, and you will become that.

"Treat a person as he is and that's all he will ever be. Treat him as what he could and should become and eventually he becomes that." - Jimmy Johnson, HC Dalas Cowboys 1993.

Edited by Rtnldave

21 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Last year's loss to SF in the playoffs can be traced to 4 miscues by Dak Prescott:

1. Just before the half we were driving, he was late on his delivery to Lamb, pass was INT. Had we scored, even a FG on that drive, we got the 2nd half KO. Score there and we are up 2 scores. Any coach at any level will tell you a team up 2 scores in tge 2nd half of a game has a huge advantage over the other team.

2. The deep pass to Lamb, which he caught in acrobatic fashion, resulted in a PI call. Had that ball been placed in front of Lamb and thats a TD.

3. Very next play, locked onto Lamb, missed A wide open easy TD to TY Hilton I believe, he was WIDE OPEN! Dak forced a pass into double coverage.

4. Desperation time, 4th quarter, 4th down, Gallup got behind the defense, the pass was 5 yards over his opposite shoulder. Had it been on target, 1st and 10 at SF 48 yard line at minimum.

So, don't give me this, "he was competitive in the game" stuff.

Yes he was, but the signature plays, I pointed out 4, are the ones that separate the Champions from the "yeah buts".

I've had it with moral victories, lovable losers, close but no cigars. 

The real great ones make even one of those plays and that is how their team moves on.

As for who is questioning his ability to play in the cold? Go to the Game day thread and read thru it, you will find the answers to that question.

So, no blame for the defense giving up 2 longs drives , and losing Tony Pollard early in the game didn’t help much either , but sure, let’s put it all on Dak for the loss 👍🏽

Just now, PincheJimmy said:

So, no blame for the defense giving up 2 longs drives , and losing Tony Pollard early in the game didn’t help much either , but sure, let’s put it all on Dak for the loss 👍🏽

Things happen like that in games. You're using that as excuses for Daks poor play and decision making. Yeah, those things happened. But Dak is the guy with the ball, his finger on the trigger. Had he made better throws or quicker decisions, those plays would not have mattered. 

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I don't give a damn about other QBs. You see, that's the problem, you keep comparing our guy to a bunch of other QBs that can't win a title either, so in your mind, that's okay.

Stop comparing yourself to the have nots, you will only become one of them.

Start holding yourself to a higher standard, the haves, and you will become that.

"Treat a person as he is and that's all he will ever be. Treat him as what he could and should become and eventually he becomes that." - Jimmy Johnson, HC Dalas Cowboys 1993.

OK, so let’s do what you wanted to do and start Lance and cut Dak, Season be over , picking 17/18 again. Fire MM and start all over again , sounds like a brilliant idea 🙄

Just keep in mind that the guys who have won a Super Bowl since he was drafted are:

• Nick Foles (not even in the NFL a few seasons later)
  • Tom Brady x2 (GOAT, retired)
  • Patrick Mahomes x2 (HOFer in the making)
  • Matthew Stafford (34yr old in his 14th? season)

Meanwhile Dak is only on his 7th season in the NFL.

If you go further back in time, you've got Roethlisberger winning x2, Brees winning 1, Rogers winning 1, Eli winning 2, Flacco wining 1, R.Wilson winning 1, Peyton winning 2, Brady winning 3 more, and clowns like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

I may be a little off but I think Drew was 32 when he won his first SB and Peyton was 30.  Dak just turned 30 so he easily has the ceiling to win a Super Bowl in the next contract as his game relies far less on his legs than that of a Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen.