Week 7 - Lions vs Ravens Post Game Observations

Just Want A Title

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

1. It does effect post season chances.  Any loss does.  We may be in a decent lead for the division but anyone could do what we did last year so any loss could have an impact on the playoffs, we just aren't as aware of that impact at the moment. And it also effects post season standings for potential home games in the playoffs.  

The other two make sense 

Yea there is no way to frame a loss doesn't hurt chances. That is just not true in any realm.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea there is no way to frame a loss doesn't hurt chances. That is just not true in any realm.

Before the Ravens game they were in first place with a 3-game lead and the only other teams in the AFC with better records were the Eagles and 49rs.  After the loss they are still in first-place in the NFC North with a three-game lead.  The only other teams with better records at this point are the Eagles at 6-1 and the 49rs at 5-1.  As good as those the 49rs and Eagles are at this point, they are going to take some losses before we get to December where every game could have playoff implications.  As ugly as this loss may be, it has very little impact on their control of the division or playoff slotting.  So, it really doesn't mean much as long as they bounce back against a not-so-great Raiders team at home.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Before the Ravens game they were in first place with a 3-game lead and the only other teams in the AFC with better records were the Eagles and 49rs.  After the loss they are still in first-place in the NFC North with a three-game lead.  The only other teams with better records at this point are the Eagles at 6-1 and the 49rs at 5-1.  As good as those the 49rs and Eagles are at this point, they are going to take some losses before we get to December where every game could have playoff implications.  As ugly as this loss may be, it has very little impact on their control of the division or playoff slotting.  So, it really doesn't mean much as long as they bounce back against a not-so-great Raiders team at home.

And for some reason if they are on outside looking in and miss it by one game....this game impacted it.

No wway to spin this one. A loss hurts regardless of how you frame it.

you get in by winning not by losing 

you said "no" effect. You spoke in absolutes 

but it would be affect fwiw 

Edited by detfan782004

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Sliim is arguing a 17 week season and I think that’s pretty obvious. You are arguing for now and IF nothing else goes wrong. If the seasons were only 8 weeks long, the lions would be a much more successful franchise than what they have been historically.

although at the moment we are in the playoffs and in the driver seat, a team like gb could get hot and do what we did last year. In that case, this loss and any other loss will matter.

Do I think we make the playoffs…yes I do. Do I think we might have been figured out… I do. And that could make it interesting down the stretch.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Sliim is arguing a 17 week season and I think that’s pretty obvious. You are arguing for now and IF nothing else goes wrong. If the seasons were only 8 weeks long, the lions would be a much more successful franchise than what they have been historically.

although at the moment we are in the playoffs and in the driver seat, a team like gb could get hot and do what we did last year. In that case, this loss and any other loss will matter.

Do I think we make the playoffs…yes I do. Do I think we might have been figured out… I do. And that could make it interesting down the stretch.

Yea of course he's arguing only the positive versus looking at the whole picture like Sllim Which is a more honest assessment.

not sure I agree they've been figured out.

they just don't generate much pressure. Dbs aren't great and WR are average outside ASB.

It's been obvious. They can continue to out perform their talent or Det management can add more talent and watch them continue to do good 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

not sure I agree they've been figured out.

Yeah, might have been a little strong language. Just seems like the good coaches know how to beat us. John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll specifically. Although, they both had qb's that could escape the pocket so there is that. I was more thinking the blueprint is there for other teams to copy. In the end though, it seems like we struggle against teams with strong DL fronts even though our OL is considered elite. It also doesn't help that Monty is out. He is the engine of this offense and we are a completely different team with him than without him. And our defense is an enigma to me. But we definitely have a lot of holes because of injuries.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

After this week we now have a 2 game lead in the NFC north with the Vikings winning last night.  Given we play them twice at the end of the season, I would say going from a 3 to a 2 game lead in the division is pretty important and impactful on us making the playoffs and winning the division.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

After this week we now have a 2 game lead in the NFC north with the Vikings winning last night.  Given we play them twice at the end of the season, I would say going from a 3 to a 2 game lead in the division is pretty important and impactful on us making the playoffs and winning the division.  

Nah. Losses have no impact if not in division. 

None 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

A two game lead is still pretty significant.  I don't see the Packers or Chicago beating the Lions at home.  The Vikings are an enigma.  They haven't lost their fight but  they haven't added meaningful talent to that roster.  They might be good enough to get a split with the Lions but I wouldn't say it is probable either.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

A two game lead is still pretty significant.  I don't see the Packers or Chicago beating the Lions at home.  The Vikings are an enigma.  They haven't lost their fight but  they haven't added meaningful talent to that roster.  They might be good enough to get a split with the Lions but I wouldn't say it is probable either.

Hypothetically, sure.  But they are doing this with out Justin Jefferson, so at the end of the year with a developed Addison, JJ and Osborne, they could be tough.  Should we beat them?  Probably, but that is also only if we have the same exact records the rest of the way.  Any loss at any time will impact that.  Their loss to the Chargers in week 3 is big because if they didn't lose that game they would only be 1 game out of 1st in the north.  But they did lose, so they are two games out.  If we loss to KC in week 1, it would be a non-conference game early in the year but it still would have knocked us down the standings. The Vikings have played tough teams pretty well this year and in the NFL, any team can beat anyone any week, so claiming a loss now doesnt impact playoff chances is ridiculous.  And just expecting to beat the Vikings is wishful, even if at the moment it seems likely.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Hypothetically, sure.  But they are doing this with out Justin Jefferson, so at the end of the year with a developed Addison, JJ and Osborne, they could be tough.  Should we beat them?  Probably, but that is also only if we have the same exact records the rest of the way.  Any loss at any time will impact that.  Their loss to the Chargers in week 3 is big because if they didn't lose that game they would only be 1 game out of 1st in the north.  But they did lose, so they are two games out.  If we loss to KC in week 1, it would be a non-conference game early in the year but it still would have knocked us down the standings. The Vikings have played tough teams pretty well this year and in the NFL, any team can beat anyone any week, so claiming a loss now doesnt impact playoff chances is ridiculous.  And just expecting to beat the Vikings is wishful, even if at the moment it seems likely.  

Talking about potential playoff impacts in seven games into 17-game season is kind of ridiculous.  The 49rs loss to the Vikings is more significant because the Seahawks are 4-2.  However, unless a  division is horrendously bad, playoff seedings are a December football issue not late October.

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Talking about potential playoff impacts in seven games into 17-game season is kind of ridiculous.  The 49rs loss to the Vikings is more significant because the Seahawks are 4-2.  However, unless a  division is horrendously bad, playoff seedings are a December football issue not late October.

If we didn't lose to New England in week 4 last year we would have made the playoffs.  Any loss is significant because its the NFL and anything can happen.  I am sure last year that the Seahawks had no concern about the Lions 7 weeks into the season. 

Last year we had the same record as the Seahawks, the same wins as NYG and we missed the playoffs.  If we got to 10, we would have been in and had a chance.  The margin for error in the NFL is small, so any negative in your record is bad, no matter when it happens.  

Since 1970, 407 teams have started 0-2 and of those, only 39 have made the playoffs.  So yeah, those early losses are hard to get back from and make the playoffs. 

51 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If we didn't lose to New England in week 4 last year we would have made the playoffs.  Any loss is significant because its the NFL and anything can happen.  I am sure last year that the Seahawks had no concern about the Lions 7 weeks into the season. 

Last year we had the same record as the Seahawks, the same wins as NYG and we missed the playoffs.  If we got to 10, we would have been in and had a chance.  The margin for error in the NFL is small, so any negative in your record is bad, no matter when it happens.  

Since 1970, 407 teams have started 0-2 and of those, only 39 have made the playoffs.  So yeah, those early losses are hard to get back from and make the playoffs. 

Our loss to Seattle is what kept out out of the playoffs at the end of the season as I recall.  Also, when you start 1-6. the fact that the Lions had a chance at the playoffs in the last two-weeks if the season is a minor miracle.  The first step for this team is to get to the playoffs.  Right now, they are good enough to get at least one win even if it is on the road.  However, I suspect that what they learned from last year control the things that you can control and not worry about the other stuff.  That starts with Division and Conference games.  For the most part, they have done that this year. 

I think the Bucs game, which was one of the most physical games I can recall watching, took its toll on the Lions.  Dan Campbell sort of talked around it when he changed up practice on Wednesday because so many players were banged-up.  To follow that up with another very physical team like the Ravens is a tough match-up and a tough learning experience.

One thing that was mentioned was something about the Ravens "figuring out" the Lions.  I think that was definitely the case on offense.  On Jared Goff's late INT they had two players waiting in that area.  The Ravens seemed to know what we were going to do on offense most of the time.  That was especially true with the blocking schemes.  I don't think that was the case on defense.  The Lions schemed out their pass-rush and basically beat themselves from my perspective.