2023 GDT Week #8 Steelers host the Jaguars

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #8 Weekly Poll Question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Steelers take advantage of two generous/lucky wins to build upon going forward?

• Yes. They have three winnable games at home to help build upon.
    • No. They have been more lucky than good and won't grow from this.
    • Have No Clue. The only thing consistent about the Steelers is their inconsistency.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Hot take:

the run defense isn’t as bad as you think. 

but it is bad. Thats the catch here unfortunately.  I don't like what I am seeing and doubt I will until some changes take place.   I would think in reality a legit defence should be top 1/3 of the league in run and pass defence  and scoring.   It is painful to watch the defence get run on the way it has in recent times

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Rewatching Mitch’s INT with his comments in mind and I’m convinced Taylor Swift knows more about reading a field and situation than him. 

the more I watch him play, the more I can't believe he went so high in the draft.  No our mistake but perhaps the bears are laughing at us now as much  as we laughed about claypool trade. Mitch will throw it up for grabs, whoever catches it and forgets it has to be his team that does the catching.  I can't recall a QB that does that as careless as him but if you have, PLMK a few  QB's from whenever that were as careless. 

Just now, 3rivers said:

but it is bad. Thats the catch here unfortunately.  I don't like what I am seeing and doubt I will until some changes take place.   I would think in reality a legit defence should be top 1/3 of the league in run and pass defence  and scoring.   It is painful to watch the defence get run on the way it has in recent times

And in those times we’re often down in the game, down on TOP, down on yards, down on first downs. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And in those times we’re often down in the game, down on TOP, down on yards, down on first downs. 

and commenting here so much that I lose track. No doubt, the offence is terrible.  Will the offence turn it arround and in turn the defence rebounds? It could happen but will it?

do we stand a chance legit chance vs titans without KP or Minkah?  Levis has no issues throwing down the field thats for sure.

13 hours ago, Livewire said:

I'll be so damn happy when he is finally gone. 

TBH - I have no problem with him saying this because it’s a backhanded shot at the offense. 

We got the ball at the following yards:

Pit 35 - 25 yards of offense puts you in FG range. They accomplished that and Boz missed.
Pit 13 - 20 yards of offense flips field position (hopefully). They went 3&out gaining 8 yards.

Pit 30 - 30 yards of offense puts you in FG range. They went 3&out gaining 2 yards. 

2 of 3 are better starting position than a kickoff. So to me that comment is really him going “hey offense you **** the bed so badly I can’t even trust that the defense just getting you the ball is enough.” In 3 turnovers they gained 35 yards and 0 points. 

The other part of written word on twitter is you don’t catch tone. He was being kinda sarcastic with that comment. 

Edited by warfelg

1 minute ago, VigilantZombie said:

This Fkin guy...so he blames Harvin for having to punt all day, Now he is blaming the defense for not returning the turnovers far enough? Jesus...fo we need another reason that he needs to be fired?

Wut?!?

https://x.com/steeiernation/status/1719092233675116926?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

He called him out and said it sucked. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

But if he didn't have to punt, they wouldn't have had to worry about it, also it's not Harvins job to run down punt returners. One of our dudes on one punt was literally right in front of the returner and somehow managed to not touch him at all at one point.

Edited by VigilantZombie

16 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

But if he didn't have to punt, they wouldn't have had to worry about it, also it's not Harvins job to run down punt returners. One of our dudes on one punt was literally right in front of the returner and somehow managed to not touch him at all at one point.

That’s one punt. You literally made up something to blame Tomlin now using one punt to say he’s wrong?

Harvins punts Sunday:

33 yards OB.

51 yards returned 12. 

47 yards fair catch. 

45 yards returned 13. 

52 yards returned 9. 

29 yards OB. 

NFL AVG punt - 47 yards. Harvin Sunday - 42. 

NFL AVG net punt - 41. Harvin Sunday - 37. 

Average starting position for the Jags after a punt was their own 35. No punts inside the 20. On average we were at our own 28 when punting.  Even at NFL averages he should have pinned them inside the 20 1 time, and had them starting at their own 25 regularly. 2/6 were longer than average. 2/6 net punts were better than average. 

If you take out the OB punts it’s still just at NFL average. His year average punt is 2 yards under average and his net is 1 yard hinder average. He’s 20th and below in every punt metric. 

Hell his average hang time this year is 4.27 seconds and the NFL average this year is 4.43 seconds. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Harvins punts Sunday:

33 yards OB.

51 yards returned 12. 

47 yards fair catch. 

45 yards returned 13. 

52 yards returned 9. 

29 yards OB. 

NFL AVG punt - 47 yards. Harvin Sunday - 42. 

NFL AVG net punt - 41. Harvin Sunday - 37. 

Average starting position for the Jags after a punt was their own 35. No punts inside the 20. On average we were at our own 28 when punting.  Even at NFL averages he should have pinned them inside the 20 1 time, and had them starting at their own 25 regularly. 2/6 were longer than average. 2/6 net punts were better than average. 

If you take out the OB punts it’s still just at NFL average. His year average punt is 2 yards under average and his net is 1 yard hinder average. He’s 20th and below in every punt metric. 

Hell his average hang time this year is 4.27 seconds and the NFL average this year is 4.43 seconds. 

I get all of that and I'm not saying Harvin played well. But if the offense is sustaining drives. He isn't punting, period.

Harvin didn't have a great night, the 33 yards was really bad. But he didn't have his worst night either and not long ago, we were praising him for his performance. But throwing stones at the punter makes for an easy target, while ignoring what really lost them the game.

Edited by VigilantZombie

Just now, VigilantZombie said:

No I didn't. I'm saying if the offense wasn't so inept, we wouldn't be punting, instead of blaming the punter, do something about the Offense.

Whatever man. This twisting of crap to blame Tomlin for everything is getting out of hand. 

The punting was **** Sunday. Period. It’s all part of the game. You need all three phases working. Maybe if Harvin managed to flip the field once, the defense could give the offense a short field, and we can get something. 

Is it putting too much on the shoulders of the defense to ask to continually give the offense a short field? Sure. Should we be asking more of the defense? Absolutely. An average starting field position of your own 21 is unacceptable - so we failed through ST to flip the field. Heck our best starting field position was our own 36 and that was off a fumble recovery. The Jags FWIW started at their own 36 on average. just to be in scoring position (FG) we needed 44 yards on average and the Jags needed 29 yards on average. 

Even if you have a competent offense those are tough average starting positions to overcome. 

Look - there’s a lot of things to blame on the offense with this team. But it’s more than just the offense going wrong. Having a decent, even average offense ain’t fixing this. We’re still 3-5 years out from being there because this team lacks so much talent from years of bad drafting, cap pushing bloated contracts, lack of blue chip talents, and lack of FA flexibility. The defense still has holes, depth is below average, STs rate out at league average. 

18 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I get all of that and I'm not saying Harvin played well. But if the offense is sustaining drives. He isn't punting, period.

Harvin didn't have a great night, the 33 yards was really bad. But he didn't have his worst night either and not long ago, we were praising him for his performance. But throwing stones at the punter makes for an easy target, while ignoring what really lost them the game.

Ummm. That was his worst night in a long time. 

And I’m sorry. You’re placing the blame elsewhere when it shouldn’t be. This isn’t ignoring what lost them the game. It’s shining the light on another area we failed.