Oakland Athletics unanimously approved for relocation to Las Vegas

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This guy is just a mouthpiece for ownership

I get not liking him, but this is literally his job. That is what he is hired to be. There is a reason basically every commissioner in the major sports is hated. Some indeed do worse than others, but in the end they are there for the owners who are there for the business, not the sport, so the commissioner is there for business, not the sport.

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The hail mary scenario is that Fisher willingly or forcibly sells the team after it languishes at Sutter Health Park in Sacramento indefinitely. Without a finance plan in place, and after the fiasco that's finally reached the tipping point with the last game in Oakland, is this even going to get the wheels rolling to Vegas any faster? Is the city going to want to do business with John Fisher, and aquire a team the residents largely don't want including the mayor? League stars like Ohtani, and Judge playing at a AAA ballpark with sparse capacity is not going to be a good look for the league.

It is laughable that they are going to do this in an AAA park.  I guess the whole Blue Jays and Covid playing in an AAA park gave them the reason to do this.  I’m still going to love it when a manager gets thrown out, and they have to make the long walk out of the park.  It’s a shame that Earl Weaver isn’t around anymore. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It is laughable that they are going to do this in an AAA park.  I guess the whole Blue Jays and Covid playing in an AAA park gave them the reason to do this.  I’m still going to love it when a manager gets thrown out, and they have to make the long walk out of the park.  It’s a shame that Earl Weaver isn’t around anymore. 

This has me wondering what happens if the Athletics make the playoffs between now and the opening of their Vegas stadium. Will MLB actually allow the indignity of playoff games at a Triple-A park? 

What really sucks is that if they somehow win the World Series during this temporary stay, no city will truly be able to claim it. They're out of Oakland but not quite in Vegas but they're also refusing to acknowledge Sacramento in their team name while they stay there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

does any sport hate the people who keep it alive like Major League Baseball? Jesus ******* christ man. This guy is just a mouthpiece for ownership, and his oozing contempt for the sport and the people who love it is so obviously shared by the owners it's a joke. Why own a baseball team.

The Padres owner was against it because of monetary reasons, not moral reasons…. you think billionaires do things out of morals? Everything is money. Vegas will compete with San Diego from a marketshare perspective. 

3 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

This has me wondering what happens if the Athletics make the playoffs between now and the opening of their Vegas stadium. Will MLB actually allow the indignity of playoff games at a Triple-A park? 

What really sucks is that if they somehow win the World Series during this temporary stay, no city will truly be able to claim it. They're out of Oakland but not quite in Vegas but they're also refusing to acknowledge Sacramento in their team name while they stay there.

Yeah, that’s certainly what it sounds like……but would MLB “flex” the game to the nearest MLB stadium that’s empty?  Lots of stadiums in California to choose from.  

Which is why with the playoff implications, why MLB didn’t move the Braves/Royals to Baltimore or Philadelphia this weekend to prevent the delay from the hurricane.