Oakland Athletics unanimously approved for relocation to Las Vegas

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Any deal that requires the city to pay money for a stadium for a multi billion dollar private corporation is by definition, not fair

Insane to me that people relate to sports this way. Like dude he's stealing your team after gutting the walls and stealing the copper wiring out of em, you don't need to defend this billionaires honor because the city wouldn't spend $100M more on a stadium.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Insane to me that people relate to sports this way. Like dude he's stealing your team after gutting the walls and stealing the copper wiring out of em, you don't need to defend this billionaires honor because the city wouldn't spend $100M more on a stadium.

Wisconsin just gave the Brewers about $450 Million for MAINTENAINCE to their stadium ffs. I was at the point where I was like "let them ******* move, enough with the billionaire welfare." I'd rather root for an out of market ballclub than watch these *******s take money from people with less.

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

Any deal that requires the city to pay money for a stadium for a multi billion dollar private corporation is by definition, not fair

Cities take a huge cut of the revenue per year though and I’m not just talking regular taxes. If you don’t wanna oitch in, don’t expect to profit. Teams have every right to take their franchise elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Cities take a huge cut of the revenue per year though and I’m not just talking regular taxes. If you don’t wanna oitch in, don’t expect to profit. Teams have every right to take their franchise elsewhere. 

This is purely an American way of relating to sports lol. In other countries the local sporting teams are an indelible part of local culture and someone stealing them warrants protests! Again, just a ridiculous way of engaging with sports as a whole, I can't imagine why you feel this compulsive need to defend this guy who straight up admits publicly he doesn't give a **** about you, the city of Oakland, or the franchise.

10 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

They don't take a huge part of the revenue. Every analysis has shown cities lose when they pay for stadiums. The owner is free to move the team as is the owner of every business. And I and others are free to to blame them and criticize them as greedy 

39 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is purely an American way of relating to sports lol. In other countries the local sporting teams are an indelible part of local culture and someone stealing them warrants protests! Again, just a ridiculous way of engaging with sports as a whole, I can't imagine why you feel this compulsive need to defend this guy who straight up admits publicly he doesn't give a **** about you, the city of Oakland, or the franchise.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I agree with you on most of this situation, but what makes this an American way of thinking? I would assume you think the owner of the team should be paying for the stadium, maintenance, and every thing else inbetween, correct? Yet you also hold the opinion that they aren't allowed to move the team? If the owners want to move the team, they should have every right to do that, whether it's a good choice or not is a different story altogether. 

What it boils down to is city officials need to stop approving hundreds of millions of dollars in tax payer money to build stadiums in their cities. If the owner of a sports team wants his/her team there, they need to pay for it, since they will be the one's raking in the profits. This has never made any sense to me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I mean, I'm pretty sure I agree with you on most of this situation, but what makes this an American way of thinking? I would assume you think the owner of the team should be paying for the stadium, maintenance, and every thing else inbetween, correct? Yet you also hold the opinion that they aren't allowed to move the team? If the owners want to move the team, they should have every right to do that, whether it's a good choice or not is a different story altogether. 

What it boils down to is city officials need to stop approving hundreds of millions of dollars in tax payer money to build stadiums in their cities. If the owner of a sports team wants his/her team there, they need to pay for it, since they will be the one's raking in the profits. This has never made any sense to me.

How much revenue do these cities make with a sports team in their midst?  From lodging and restaurants and the team employing locals sports teams bring in assets to these cities too (I'm not just talking about baseball).

Edited by Pugger

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 10:36 PM, mse326 said:

And that multi billion dollar private corporation is free to relocate to a market that is more friendly to their business and offering a better deal... 

Its pretty simple tbh

Is Pete Rose going to manage the team?

On 11/18/2023 at 12:39 PM, Mesa_Titan said:

I guess it depends how much the city and tax payers value having a baseball team

Vegas obviously values having a team more

There are plenty of attractive markets without baseball teams.  Gotta pony up

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

And that multi billion dollar private corporation is free to relocate to a market that is more friendly to their business and offering a better deal... 

Its pretty simple tbh

Is Pete Rose going to manage the team?

I never claimed otherwise. My point was only that the city did nothing wrong and while he is free to move we are free to criticize