MVP in the true sense

Hunter2_1

31 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

If Watson and Rodgers weren't hurt, and we didn't know how far those teams have fallen without them playing, would this argument remain the same? What if they were healthy and Wilson was injured and Seattle wasn't winning any games, would the argument change?

My point was that since Wilson doesn't get injured, we don't know how truly bad Seattle would be this year without him in the roster. But the fact that he accounts for almost all of their touchdowns and over 80% of their total offense (something no player has done in decades), gives us a good insight, IMO.

I believe Rodgers is more important to GB than Wilson is to Seattle.  Even with their defensive injury issues that defense is still much better than the Packers.'  We were fortunate that we had 3 struggling teams on our schedule during those weeks Rodgers was sidelined.  If those 3 teams were better and/or playoff caliber teams we don't win any of them with Hundley starting and Rodgers doesn't return this season.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

I believe Rodgers is more important to GB than Wilson is to Seattle.  Even with their defensive injury issues that defense is still much better than the Packers.'  We were fortunate that we had 3 struggling teams on our schedule during those weeks Rodgers was sidelined.  If those 3 teams were better and/or playoff caliber teams we don't win any of them with Hundley starting and Rodgers doesn't return this season.

Schedule certainly plays a factor, so just as a test, let's say that Rodgers and Wilson both went down at the same time (it's a bit weird because the week Rodgers was hurt Seattle was on a bye, so it's either one game before or after), so for Wilson it would've been against the Giants the week later. Seahawks schedule since that game:

1. Texans (with Watson)
  2. Redskins
  3. Cardinals
  4. Falcons
  5. 49ers
  6. Eagles
  7. Jaguars

The Seahawks with Wilson went 4-3 during this stretch. Without Wilson, it's not very hard to imagine them winning 1 game in that stretch (49ers), or none at all.

In that same stretch, the Packers have faced:

1. Saints
  2. Lions
  3. Bears
  4. Ravens
  5. Steelers
  6. Bucs
  7. Browns

Obviously a more favorable schedule, and the Packers have gone 3-4 in that stretch.

Traditionally, when the Seahawks have their defense I don't think it's any question at all that Rodgers is more valuable to the Packers than Wilson is to the Seahawks, but this year I don't think that's the same case.

Archived