The Hitman Cometh

swede700

• 1 month later...

Looking at what he’s done recently, though technically off the field, Harrison Smith cemented his status both in Vikings history and in Vikings fans’ hearts (as if he didn’t do that years ago already) when he took a $6.3 million pay cut in 2023, and a $5.5 million pay cut in March of this year.

It’s up to hypotheticals now on whether or not Harrison could’ve made more money on the open-market, but the fact of the matter is that Harrison Smith has taken almost $12 million in pay slashes over the last two offseasons to remain a Minnesota Viking when it’s crystal clear that they aren’t exactly in a position to win in the twilight of his career.

That is the biggest thing that touched the cold and beaten hearts of Vikings fans across the country; if there is a list of players that deserve to go ring-chase as their career winds down, Harrison Smith is near the top of it. Even with that being the case, he chose to plant his flag and make it his intention to (most likely) end his career where it started during the 2012 NFL Draft. 

Not a single soul would’ve blamed him or displayed ill-will in his direction had he decided to sign with a team like the Kansas City Chiefs or the Buffalo Bills in an effort to add a Super Bowl ring to his Hall of Fame legacy.

However, in the end, Harrison Smith solidified himself as one of, if not *the*, most beloved Vikings of all time by remaining loyal to the team that took a chance to him on draft night 12 years ago, as he will finish his career in Minnesota’s transitional era when he had every right not to.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/top_news/ode-harrison-smith/

• Like 2

Harrison Smith spoke to Twin Cities media members and was asked how he spent his time between Minnesota's final game of the 2023 season and making his decision to return for a 13th season. During the offseason he assisted his brother, who's working on a remodel of Smith's home in their hometown of Knoxville, Tennessee.

Smith: "I was really like completely living life like I wasn't a football player, which is a good weight off your mind. I just kind of helped out, worked under him. Got that experience in my life, which is pretty cool – it was fun. Carpenter, welder, wherever I can help."

Smith also focused on quality time with his wife Madison and their two young children. Interactions with his agent during that time, he noted, were conversational rather than business-related. In fact, he nearly lost track of football's offseason calendar, which begins annually in March.

Smith laughed that it wasn't until he "saw some things on ESPN" regarding free agency that he shifted back into that mode:

"I kind of just chilled out and didn't think about ball too much. And then, honestly, I kind of almost forgot about free agency, the date of it. Not like I forgot about it, but like just when it exactly was. I was like, 'I should go ahead and get this going.' But I already knew what I wanted to do. It's more just seeing how it works and if we can work it out, fit things together."

He can't put his finger on one specific reason he's returning, explaining it's "a lot of factors," but he did emphasize his continued desire to "try to win here" in Minnesota.

"That's why I play the game. I love to compete. I know people outside of here aren't expecting as much out of us as we do ourselves. But I think we have the makings of some good things here, and continuing to be a part of that was important to me."

"I really enjoy playing for K.O., and the Wilfs run a top-shelf organization. Between K.O., Kwesi, learning under Flores, it's been awesome. I learned a lot of things last year that I was never really introduced to throughout my career, which is pretty cool."

https://www.vikings.com/news/harrison-smith-projects-included-carpentry-welding-before-return-13th-season

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Harrison Smith’s incredible stats through TWELVE seasons with the Vikings:

• 766 solo tackles
  • 273 assists
  • 19.5 sacks
  • 8 fumble recoveries
  • 34 interceptions
  • 176 regular season games played
  • 7 playoff games played
  • 6 Pro Bowl appearances
  • 45 tackles for loss
  • 86 passes defended
  • 12 forced fumbles

SKOL to #22, a Vikings all-time great, and good luck on season Lucky 13!

BleedingPurple.com

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...