2024: Coach and QB candidates

Welp, may as well not waste any time on putting this thread up. We need a HC for 2024 and we need a QB. Who are you guys hoping for? I’ll give you my thoughts on some of the candidates I’ve heard being floated around.

Belichick: This has been a popular one on Twitter, supposedly Blank likes him. I wouldn’t mind a Belichick-HC/McDaniels-OC pairing, as long as Belichick is allowed nowhere near our NFL draft decisions. That guy absolutely stinks at drafting players. But he certainly can coach a defense, and Josh McDaniels had Mac Jones looking pretty good his rookie year. If Belichick can’t get McDaniels to follow him, though, I’m out.

Ben Johnson: This is fools gold. He’s not really that impressive IMO. I’d be disappointed, it wouldn’t feel like much of an upgrade.

Jim Harbaugh: Gold standard coach. If he wants to come here, Blank needs to write the check for whatever would get it done. FWIW, I think he’ll be way more interested in the Charger job.

Bobby Slowik: I’d be disappointed in this hire. Im not sold on him yet, he needs some more time as a play caller IMO.

Todd Monken: I wouldn’t be mad. 2 nattys at UGA and he did some good things in Baltimore (with a pretty loaded offense). I don’t know that he’d be a home run hire, but I think he’d safely be a pretty good hire.

Mike Macdonald: I like this guy. Seems like a pretty sharp defensive mind. I’d be curious to know who he’d have in mind to be his OC, but I like Macdonald as a candidate for sure.

Ryan Nielsen: Defense was a little bit of a mixed bag at times, but with more positive than negative. The games against Tennessee, Arizona, Minnesota, Chicago and this past Saints game were unacceptable. He’s definitely a good coach, but what would the plan be for getting an entirely new unit of offensive coaches? This one is tricky.

Eric Bieniemy: Wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’d take him over Ben Johnson all day long. We saw some good things out of this Commanders offense this season, but some bad things as well. Howell kinda regressed down the stretch, but he’s a 5th round kid in his second year and he performed MUCH better than our 3rd round kid did.

I’ll post my thoughts about the QB options later, but what do you guys think about the head coach options?

Edited by SoCalDirtyBird

Another coordinator I would take a look at is Frank Smith, OC of Miami. Maybe the 3rd Smith's the charm. Know it's considered McDaniel's offense, but have read he's well liked and respected.

From your list, I'm fine with most of the candidates, don't really want Belichick mainly for age reasons and he hasn't been able to draft well in years. Can't imagine he would go somewhere he didn't get power.

Harbaugh would be a great fit for this team, imo, however he doesn't seem like a Blank/McKay guy. 

Believe it's a little early for Nielsen, this was his first year calling plays, think he needs to have more experience before vaulting to HC (same could be said for Slowik as well). Think he did great with our defense, though I understand your sentiment on some of our losses. In his defense, injuries did plague us on the DL in particular.

What I don't like is Blank going through the same motions to hire another coach. This will be his 7th coach since he bought the team in 2002. Perhaps a change in process is in order, let a search firm or allow someone other than McKay have decision making powers for this team. We need some continuity in our HC at some point

13 hours ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

Ben Johnson: This is fools gold. He’s not really that impressive IMO. I’d be disappointed, it wouldn’t feel like much of an upgrade.

Disagree. He turned Jared Goff into a competent QB. Makes a top TE, top RB and top WR offense work really well. Would be the best fit. Would likely keep Nielsen as DC too.

Jim Harbaugh: Gold standard coach. If he wants to come here, Blank needs to write the check for whatever would get it done. FWIW, I think he’ll be way more interested in the Charger job.

Harbaugh would definitely have this team winning.

Belichick: This has been a popular one on Twitter, supposedly Blank likes him. I wouldn’t mind a Belichick-HC/McDaniels-OC pairing, as long as Belichick is allowed nowhere near our NFL draft decisions. That guy absolutely stinks at drafting players. But he certainly can coach a defense, and Josh McDaniels had Mac Jones looking pretty good his rookie year. If Belichick can’t get McDaniels to follow him, though, I’m out.

I wouldn't want Belichick at this point. He'd want too much power

Bobby Slowik: I’d be disappointed in this hire. Im not sold on him yet, he needs some more time as a play caller IMO.

Todd Monken: I wouldn’t be mad. 2 nattys at UGA and he did some good things in Baltimore (with a pretty loaded offense). I don’t know that he’d be a home run hire, but I think he’d safely be a pretty good hire.

These guys are grouped together for me. I think both would be solid, but not inspiring.

Mike Macdonald: I like this guy. Seems like a pretty sharp defensive mind. I’d be curious to know who he’d have in mind to be his OC, but I like Macdonald as a candidate for sure.

Ryan Nielsen: Defense was a little bit of a mixed bag at times, but with more positive than negative. The games against Tennessee, Arizona, Minnesota, Chicago and this past Saints game were unacceptable. He’s definitely a good coach, but what would the plan be for getting an entirely new unit of offensive coaches? This one is tricky.

These are the same thoughts as Slowik and Monken. I'd like them, but I don't think either inspires.

Eric Bieniemy: Wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’d take him over Ben Johnson all day long. We saw some good things out of this Commanders offense this season, but some bad things as well. Howell kinda regressed down the stretch, but he’s a 5th round kid in his second year and he performed MUCH better than our 3rd round kid did.

Doubt he even gets an interview.

1 hour ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Another coordinator I would take a look at is Frank Smith, OC of Miami. Maybe the 3rd Smith's the charm. Know it's considered McDaniel's offense, but have read he's well liked and respected.

He'd be fun. Has a lot of experience in the Shanahan system that'd fully take advantage of our guys.

• Like 1

Just saw a picture of Belichick at Chick Fil A inside it MBS. Looks like this deal is pretty much done.

Kirk Cousins also talked about not being able to pass up the opportunity to work with BB. Looks like this is going to happen. I think Des is a pretty decent backup to Cousins.

Can’t say that I’m not disappointed that it looks as though we aren’t going to be able to bring Justin Fields back home and right UGA’s wrong. But either way, I think we’re gonna make some noise next year.

And to answer BDDX, I definitely do think Grady can play in a Belichick defense.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:14 AM, scar988 said:

Because we're probably switching to a 3-4 under the new hc... which is looking to be BElichick.

I knew the answer to that, I just don't get how the emphasis isn't on a QB and someone that can get the most out of the offense. The defense has it's flaws but far from the problem.

My updated Top HC candidates:

1. Harbaugh

2. Macdonald

3a. Johnson

3b. Belichick

4. Vrabel

5. Wilks

These are the only acceptable candidates for me

Top 2024 QB preferences:

1. Fields (assuming trade of 2nd & conditional mid rounder)

2. Williams (assuming trade of 3-4 first round picks)

3. Daniels (assuming losing our 2025 first to get him)

4. Maye (assuming losing our 2025 first to get him)

5. Cousins

6. Darnold

7. Tannehill

8. Brissett

9. Minshew

10. Wentz

11. Ridder

I only feel that we can really win games at a high level with the top 6, given the right play-caller.

EDIT: forgot about Russ Wilson. Stick him in there at 6b. for me

Edited by SoCalDirtyBird

Schefty reporting that we decided on Morris. Kinda embarrassing for Blank, given that he was our HC in 2020 lol.

I’m not impressed, but I will most definitely reserve judgement for when coordinators are hired. I’m certainly a fan of his leadership qualities.

Looks like an early favorite for OC is Zac Robinson. I’m so old that I remember watching him play at OK State! I’d be a fan of that hire for sure

Edited by SoCalDirtyBird