2024: Coach and QB candidates

5 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

Me personally, not much lol. Like 25m. Obviously that would never happen, but it seems like he’s Zac Robinson’s man for this season. Sure hope he’s right.

ha, gotta agree with you there!

Viking fans seem to be willing to pay around 30-32 mil, maybe 35, but there are analysts out there saying he could command close to 50. from what little we know, and it is very little, it appears the Viking execs have offered or will offer a bottom line contract amount and terms. if Cousins wants to decline and test himself on the open market they support that, having said "he has earned the right to bet on himself."

25 is a pipe dream.

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

ha, gotta agree with you there!

Viking fans seem to be willing to pay around 30-32 mil, maybe 35, but there are analysts out there saying he could command close to 50. from what little we know, and it is very little, it appears the Viking execs have offered or will offer a bottom line contract amount and terms. if Cousins wants to decline and test himself on the open market they support that, having said "he has earned the right to bet on himself."

25 is a pipe dream.

Yeah I can’t see him taking less than Daniel Jones and Baker tbh. 30-32 is reasonable for him, but it seems to just be far from reality given Kirk’s past. 

There’s just a ton of journeymen like Darnold, Wentz, Brissett, Minshew, or maybe Tanney that I’d rather bring in to compete with Ridder (or perhaps McCarthy) for like 5-7M. Put the savings into FA and let the chips fall where they may lol. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

Yeah I can’t see him taking less than Daniel Jones and Baker tbh. 30-32 is reasonable for him, but it seems to just be far from reality given Kirk’s past.

There’s just a ton of journeymen like Darnold, Wentz, Brissett, Minshew, or maybe Tanney that I’d rather bring in to compete with Ridder (or perhaps McCarthy) for like 5-7M. Put the savings into FA and let the chips fall where they may lol. 

yeah, the 30-32 figure is probably if he's willing to give the Vikes a discount to just stay put and not relocate his family. whether he will or not is totally unknown, but he does like everything about the Viking team and living in that area.

as to free agent QB's out there for the Vikings if Cousins moves on, we have a thread with a poll in our forum. come take a look and give us your two cents!

The rumor mill has turned white hot for Kirk Cousins to the Falcons. Through marriage, he has a connection to Atlanta, the Falcons have an offense itching to be unlocked, and quarterbacks of Cousins’ caliber rarely hit free agency. He was on pace for fringe MVP numbers before his Achilles injury last October and is recovering quickly this offseason from the nasty setback.

The Athletic’s Dianna Russini reported Saturday morning after her time at the NFL Combine: “That gets us to Cousins. He is the most valuable player on the market despite an Achilles injury he suffered in October. The Vikings want to retain him, and the 35-year-old has expressed his love for the organization, but history has shown us that Cousins is the best contract negotiator in sports. The question remains how high Minnesota is willing to go to keep the quarterback that coach Kevin O’Connell clearly wants back running his offense.”

“Over the next month, I’m keeping an eye on the Falcons. They believe Cousins is the type of player who moves them from a fringe playoff team to a contender. New Atlanta head coach Raheem Morris and offensive coordinator Zac Robinson both have familiarity with Cousins. Knowing this could be a seamless transition for Cousins and the talented young group of players across their roster, I expect the Falcons to compete for the rights to his contract. It makes all the sense in the world."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/team-for-kirk-cousins?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

Kevin O’Connell: "The combine just gave everybody else an opportunity, whether they are supposed to be or not, to maybe have conversations. I know Kirk, where he’s at in this whole process. He’s earned the right to be a free agent and he’s played really good football. I know (Cousins is) going to go through a full process. He’s a process guy. And hopefully, we continue to be a strong part in that process and we figure out a way to keep him a Minnesota Viking, but my expectation is we’re not going to be the only ones that would like Kirk Cousins to be the quarterback of our team in 2024."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/suddenly-changes?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

ESPN's Dan Graziano: "The sense I'm getting is Minnesota still wants quarterback Kirk Cousins to return, but Cousins has a very specific idea in mind for what he wants in a new contract, and the Vikings so far have not made an offer that matches it. The ball might be in the team's court at this point. Cousins and his family like Minnesota and would be happy to stay and finish his career there, but it doesn't sound like he's willing to offer the team a hometown discount."

"I expect the Falcons to make a strong pursuit [to sign Cousins]. I have been told by multiple sources this week that signing Cousins -- not trading for Justin Fields -- is the Falcons' top QB solution, assuming Cousins makes it to free agency."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/latest-kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-exit-2024?fbclid=IwAR0Y7zDaSWig93FFC6PaxyrfYwbyV7neLTiCfNnm_HSz5VLsCj0L4PdicBg

On 3/3/2024 at 3:37 PM, vike daddy said:

ESPN's Dan Graziano: "The sense I'm getting is Minnesota still wants quarterback Kirk Cousins to return, but Cousins has a very specific idea in mind for what he wants in a new contract, and the Vikings so far have not made an offer that matches it. The ball might be in the team's court at this point. Cousins and his family like Minnesota and would be happy to stay and finish his career there, but it doesn't sound like he's willing to offer the team a hometown discount."

"I expect the Falcons to make a strong pursuit [to sign Cousins]. I have been told by multiple sources this week that signing Cousins -- not trading for Justin Fields -- is the Falcons' top QB solution, assuming Cousins makes it to free agency."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/latest-kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-exit-2024?fbclid=IwAR0Y7zDaSWig93FFC6PaxyrfYwbyV7neLTiCfNnm_HSz5VLsCj0L4PdicBg

Looks like we’re the overwhelming favorite to be Kirk’s next team. Like I said before, I hope we know what we’re doing here. It’s a ton of money to pay to be no closer to our long term solution at the position.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

It’s a ton of money to pay to be no closer to our long term solution at the position.

the same reason why i for one want the Vikings to say thank you and move on from him.

he was/is definitely ascending in quality and reliability, but it also took him a long time to learn new offensive systems for us. if it takes him the same length of time at ATL, you'll have gained nothing.

I'm kind of meh on Cousins. Shouldn't be more than a 2yr deal, and it doesn't solve anything long term basically kicking the can down the road. I'll say this though, it's still a massive upgrade from the current.

• Like 1

Destin Adams@TheDestinAdams

I've been told by multiple people I trust around the league that teams interested in trading up for J.J. McCarthy are operating with the thought that they have to jump the #Vikings.

33 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Destin Adams@TheDestinAdams

I've been told by multiple people I trust around the league that teams interested in trading up for J.J. McCarthy are operating with the thought that they have to jump the #Vikings.

Might have to jump the Falcons .... maybe even the Giants.

3 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Might have to jump the Falcons .... maybe even the Giants.

definitely. might have to go to 3 with the Pats. Arizona could see the McCarthy Mania as an opportunity for them too, and make their #4 available.

Just now, vike daddy said:

definitely. might have to go to 3 with the Pats. Arizona could see the McCarthy Mania as an opportunity for them too, and make their #4 available.

Unless the Bears do the unthinkable and draft Harrison at #1, the Cards likely aren't trading back. 

• Like 1

It was my responsibility while working on the agent side to create target or asking prices for the firm's clients headed toward free agency regardless of whether I was the lead agent. In that spirit, I have set target prices with total contract value, overall guarantees and amount fully guaranteed at signing for 10 intriguing offensive players who will be unrestricted free agents or were designated as franchise players.

Kirk Cousins MIN • QB • #8

Contract package: $125 million/three years ($41,666,667 per year, worth up to $131 million with incentives)
Overall guarantees: $85 million
Fully guaranteed at signing: $85 million

Adjusting Cousins' soon-to-be-expiring one-year contract extension worth $35 million he signed with the Minnesota Vikings in 2022 for salary cap inflation would put him just below $43 million per year. Asking for slightly under this mark accounts for the season-ending torn right Achilles injury Cousins suffered in a Week 8 contest against the Green Bay Packers when he was arguably playing the best football of his 12-year NFL career.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-breaking-down-target-prices-for-10-intriguing-offensive-players-with-expiring-contracts/

he's all yours, men!