2024 Off-Season Official Visits/Rumors/Reports

I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard anything about the Patriots being in on one of the higher end tackles.  I mean as of right now, do the Patriots have a starting tackle on either side?

5 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

Uggghhh...  Williams was an average player who got paid based on an outlier of a year.  He does nothing for me.  

If he is back to his form pre-injury just like they think Bourne will be, then Williams is an oft-injured well-above average wide out and better than anyone on their roster currently for the position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prob2236 said:

I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard anything about the Patriots being in on one of the higher end tackles.  I mean as of right now, do the Patriots have a starting tackle on either side?

currently looks like Onwenu at G/RT and the Steelers tackle they signed is a RT first but potential swing tackle/current LT.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the hope and plan is to get Joe Alt.

But I’d imagine they’re talking with Tyron Smith, Jonah Williams, Cornelius Lucas.

11 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

currently looks like Onwenu at G/RT and the Steelers tackle they signed is a RT first but potential swing tackle/current LT.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the hope and plan is to get Joe Alt.

But I’d imagine they’re talking with Tyron Smith, Jonah Williams, Cornelius Lucas.

Yosh Nijman and Andrus Peat I’d add to that list.

Charles Leno and David Bakhtiari are injury risks but proven starters when healthy that could be signed potentially down the line at some point in the spring.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:10 PM, prob2236 said:

What do you think is the deal with Justin Fields?  Not just from a Patriots standpoint but a bunch of the QB needy teams chose to spend money on mediocre QBs rather than trade a 3rd rounder, or maybe even less, for this guy.

I thinks he stinks.  I hear all the excuses. I here he's shown improvement and some say had major potential.

Here my reason, the Bears don't want him and will draft a college QB on a hopes that he lives up to his billing. Not a guarantee by no means, history proves that.

If he has all these so call positives why are they replacing him. Only a fool would get rid of him, if any of the BS were true.

10 hours ago, Soko said:

Charles Leno, LT

Why ???? 411. 

10 hours ago, Soko said:

Calais Campbell, DL

Great if the moneys short. His off field and experence is huge plus and he will look good beside Barmore.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Have to wondering the Pats are considering trading a future pick that is conditional to get Tee Higgins. Next year’s 2? Swap this years 2 and trade next years 2?

We are right back to the top of the draft. He doesn't do anything that make any significance change. Way to much capital for a #2 WR.

4/5 plan he's long gone.  

To me this is like buying a BMW M760i xDrive without a place to park it !!!!!

Next year is a building yr bring in two rookies such as Adonai Mitchell and Keon Coleman, Xavier Legette, Roman Wilson, let them learn with Brisett. Get them ready for 2025.

Coleman  #2 WR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgs9YxMmw

Mitchell # 1  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFteC7APDzo

Edited by m haynes

Yosh Nijman and Andrus Peat I’d add to that list.

Charles Leno and David Bakhtiari are injury risks but proven starters when healthy that could be signed potentially down the line at some point in the spring.

DJ Humphries just entered the market.

9 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Dealt with a serious knee injury at end of 2023 that puts him into the Bakhtiari, Leno category. Plus a back issue caused him to miss half of 2022. Never been that great but sure, as a flier after the draft maybe?

12 hours ago, prob2236 said:

They have to sign a tackle today capable of starting.  They don't want to go into the draft needing to come away with two starting calbur players.  That will severely limit what your able to do to.  Theyd pretty much need to spend 2 of their first 3 picks on tackle.

Agree that a tackle you feel okayish about starting is a big need in FA, but it’s kind of dependent. With Onwenu back, you could slot him into RT and be confident there. Maybe they don’t want to, maybe he doesn’t want to, but it’s an option that’s shown to be successful in the past. Another tackle means you at least have the option of Okorafor starting (which isn’t ideal, but better than, like, Vederian Lowe) at RT and Onwenu sliding back to RG. It gives options. I think they go T later in the draft anyway.

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Why ???? 411. 

Been super durable over the years, and pretty consistent. Him missing time in December with a calf and hip injury is the first time in almost a decade he’s missed games. Had a very strong 2022, and was strong in 2023 prior to going down late. Sam Howell got sacked over 60 times, Leno only gave up 3 of those. High PFF scores the last couple years. 

He’s not Tyron Smith-good, but I think he’s one of the better tackles you’ll find in FA. 

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Great if the moneys short. His off field and experence is huge plus and he will look good beside Barmore.

For sure. I think CC is going to live on one year deals until he calls it quits. They did just sign Watts to be that extra big man, he seemed like a decent player in Pittsburgh based on their reactions, and did have a nice PFF score. Apparently he’s versatile as a 2 and a 3, and did moonlight as a NT. So that might lessen the need of another rotational big, although I think Campbell would still be nice. 

Side note, I’m pretty sure you don’t care much for PFF - which is fine, I don’t swear by it or anything, but it + whatever else I can find about players I don’t know much about, does give me a frame of reference, though not a perfect picture.

Edited by Soko

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

Dealt with a serious knee injury at end of 2023 that puts him into the Bakhtiari, Leno category. Plus a back issue caused him to miss half of 2022. Never been that great but sure, as a flier after the draft maybe?

Humphries tore his ACL on NYE, isn’t presumed to be ready for Week 1 in 2024, and also missed half of 2022. Bahktiari missed 16 games this year, and has only played in 13 games these past 3 seasons. 

Leno went on IR in December, but prior to that hasn’t missed a game in nearly a decade. He’s definitely in a separate tier as far as those two go, durability wise.

I got to be honest, I'm more disappointed is seeing Jonah Williams sign in Arizona, without even a single report that the Patriots had been interested, than I was seeing Ridley go elsewhere. 

I'm not sure what the plan is right now.  You could make the argument that they're heading into the draft with no solid answer at right or left tackle, no #1 or even #2 receiver, and no long term QB.  They're literally putting all their eggs into this year's draft basket.  I didn't think they were going to sign the whole world, but I didn't think the plan was to fill every hole with 2024 rookies either.