Super Bowl Week: Mock Offseason

I am liking the hiring of Liam Coehn from Kentucky. McVay ties. Thinking this should be a great hire as he'll bring some creativity and balance on offense. Very innovative mind. Will Levis looked like a stud under his tutelage then regressed the year he left. 

Offseason Cuts: 

- Edge Shaq Barret (he's no longer explosive). We really don't save much by cutting him. But he's got zero trade value. If he doesn't agree to restructure or take a cut - he's out. 

- Carlton Davis: We save 6MM to cut him this year. I think that will be the option if we cannot trade him. I can see Detroit calling but will be cut in the end. 

- Russell Gage: He's good as gone. 

Trade: 

- WR Chris Godwin to the Houston Texans for a 2024 first round pick and 2025 4th round pick : Why? Bucs are going to need to make a decision. Am I a huge Godwin fan? Yes! Absolutely. However, money is tight and its either Evans or Godwin. And quite frankly - we've gotten away paying both of these guys on discounted deals for too long that we're not going to be able to do so anymore. Jacksonville and Houston will be in the market for a reciever for their young QB. I think we get a trade with either of the two. 

Players resigned: 

- QB Baker Mayfield : 3 year 100 mm contract 

- Mike Evans: 5 years 100 Million 

- S Antoine Winfield (Tagged first) 

- LB Lavonte David: 1 year deal 

- G aaron Stinnie 1 year deal 

- DE/DT Will Gholston 1 year deal 

- T Brandon Walton

Free Agent signings: 

- DT Tim Settle 1 year deal (depth) 

- Edge Yetur Gross Matos 2 year deal 

- CB Sean Murphy Bunting 1 year deal 

- WR Donovan Peoples Jones 1 year deal 

- RB Rashad Penny 1 year deal .

Draft: 

1st via Houston: Keon Coleman WR Florida State: Future #1 and can compliment Evans immediately. 

1st Round: Jackson Powers Johnson G/C Oregon: Future starter at Center or G. Will compete right away at LG or C. 

2nd round: Darius Robinson DT Missouri: Don't think we bring back Greg Gaines and even if we do - depth is going to be needed. 

3rd Round: Ray Davis RB Kentucky : We want to run the ball? Absolutely. Davis is underrated prospect. late 3 early to mid 4. Taking him here isn't a bad idea

4th round: Ben Sinnett TE Kanas State: Adding another TE to compliment Otton here would be a nice get. 

6th Round: Edefuan Ulofoshio LB Washington : Add more depth to the LB core. Licht has a knack for day 3 LB's (better than top 5 picks) 

6th Round: Delmar Glaze T Maryland: Add more depth to the interrior .

7th round: Chico Bennett JR Edge Virginia

• Like 1

Dont love the Godwin trade, but understand it and getting a 1st would be awesome, idk if theyd give that though

i'll be disappointed if we have to give Baker that good of a deal, i dont think he deserves 100M but the market is what it is

Also really dont love Keon Coleman or any WR not named Marvin Harrison/Malik Nabers for us in the 1st, i feel very adamant that our biggest needs outside of QB are Edge and IOL

i cant wait to see what we do in the Offseason , losing Canales sucked but im still pumped

On 2/6/2024 at 8:44 AM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Dont love the Godwin trade, but understand it and getting a 1st would be awesome, idk if theyd give that though

i'll be disappointed if we have to give Baker that good of a deal, i dont think he deserves 100M but the market is what it is

Also really dont love Keon Coleman or any WR not named Marvin Harrison/Malik Nabers for us in the 1st, i feel very adamant that our biggest needs outside of QB are Edge and IOL

i cant wait to see what we do in the Offseason , losing Canales sucked but im still pumped

I would hate to give up Godwin - but to keep Evans: where is the $$ coming from? Evans can get 25-27MM on the market. You don't see teams spending almost 50MM a year on 2 receivers. 

Baker: He's still 27-28 years old. Comparing his contract to Geno Smith is not going to work at a 6 year age gap. Bakers put up a playoff win in Cleveland and really kinda got screwed there when forced to play with a bum shoulder in 2021. I think 35 is going to be the number on a short term deal with almost 2 years guaranteed.

I want to attack the interior and front 7 in the draft. I think we'll re-sign David and keep him in florida. Britt showed he can play so he'll take that starting ILB position next year. I feel you on Coleman...I guess I was trying to fill that void in place of Godwin. 

I wonder if we can get a 4 for Carlton Davis or not... 

• Like 2

I totally understand trading Godwin. I just don't think he is worth a first round pick. Devante Adams went for a late first a couple off-seasons ago and Godwin is not on the same planet as Tae as a player. I'd be fine parting him for a second based on the market. Anything lower than that though we'd have to restructure that contract for sure.

That said, love the Powers-Johnson selection. I think Keon is going to be a great player but I don't like the fit in Coen offense. Coleman definitely has higher upside than Godwin career wise in terms of talent but I don't think he'd thrive in a Kupp-like role. If we dump Godwin I'd like to find a WR who could excel as a slot WR and move outside if need be. That's why I think CG will likely be back but for the sake of this scenario, I'd prefer someone who can play slot.

I'd probably draft a LB in r2 to replace or compete with White replacement. Britt played his *** off but he is just way too slow in space in coverage. Can't argue with DL depth either but those would be my preference.

Edited by indifference

On 2/16/2024 at 11:06 AM, indifference said:

I totally understand trading Godwin. I just don't think he is worth a first round pick. Devante Adams went for a late first a couple off-seasons ago and Godwin is not on the same planet as Tae as a player. I'd be fine parting him for a second based on the market. Anything lower than that though we'd have to restructure that contract for sure.

That said, love the Powers-Johnson selection. I think Keon is going to be a great player but I don't like the fit in Coen offense. Coleman definitely has higher upside than Godwin career wise in terms of talent but I don't think he'd thrive in a Kupp-like role. If we dump Godwin I'd like to find a WR who could excel as a slot WR and move outside if need be. That's why I think CG will likely be back but for the sake of this scenario, I'd prefer someone who can play slot.

I'd probably draft a LB in r2 to replace or compete with White replacement. Britt played his *** off but he is just way too slow in space in coverage. Can't argue with DL depth either but those would be my preference.

Yeah it wouldnt surprise me if Licht pulls off a scenario to keep both Godwin and Evans. Will have to extend guys to eat up some of that 120MM 2025 projected cap space. Barrett and Carlton Davis are likely gone - believe we save 6-8 MM from Davis for this year. 

Winfield being tagged will eat up 18MM this year so a long term deal allows us to backload the deal a bit and lower his 2024 number. But again we're doing what's kicked the Saints in and us to keep players during Bradys' tenure: Borrowing down the road to keep us in tact now but eventually it'll bite us. 

Keeping Evans and Godwin is going to be very very challenging. I just don't know how it's going to get done. 

As for ILB: Is there a guy worth reaching for in Rd 2? To me - Licht hasn't been bad in later rounds at this position. We still haven't seen Dennis in games either. So I think they find a way to keep David and solve the depth/competition through FA or day 3. 

On 2/18/2024 at 9:55 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Yeah it wouldnt surprise me if Licht pulls off a scenario to keep both Godwin and Evans. Will have to extend guys to eat up some of that 120MM 2025 projected cap space. Barrett and Carlton Davis are likely gone - believe we save 6-8 MM from Davis for this year. 

Winfield being tagged will eat up 18MM this year so a long term deal allows us to backload the deal a bit and lower his 2024 number. But again we're doing what's kicked the Saints in and us to keep players during Bradys' tenure: Borrowing down the road to keep us in tact now but eventually it'll bite us. 

Keeping Evans and Godwin is going to be very very challenging. I just don't know how it's going to get done. 

As for ILB: Is there a guy worth reaching for in Rd 2? To me - Licht hasn't been bad in later rounds at this position. We still haven't seen Dennis in games either. So I think they find a way to keep David and solve the depth/competition through FA or day 3. 

A couple, the kid from North Carolina and Trotter Jr is going to be good players. I need to wait and see though how they test at the combine. I'm OK with letting Dennis prove himself too and we just see what we have there. 

On 2/19/2024 at 5:48 PM, indifference said:

A couple, the kid from North Carolina and Trotter Jr is going to be good players. I need to wait and see though how they test at the combine. I'm OK with letting Dennis prove himself too and we just see what we have there. 

Going to be another offseason while we have more cap room than last - it has to be used to keep 4 guys and they're not going to be cheap. Then ask the question : We have holes at the following: 

- LG: Even if Stinnie comes back - we're looking to upgrade

- C : Can Hainsey be serviceable for another year? Will have to see how the draft/FA plays out

- Edge: Barrett is gone and Tyron has not played up to his potential. This position will be on the list to find a starter as Tryon played better off the bench and Nelson is a rotational player.

- ILB: Britt was fine when he stepped in next to David. We heard great things about Dennis from camp but he got hurt in preseason and didn't beat out Britt. I think internally they see potential in him. But still unsure. We'll add to the position but when? FA - Rounds 2/3? Or sometime on day 3? 

- S: Winfield needs someone solid next to him. Is it Izien? I think he can be that guy bc the opportunity to fill this position in FA and Draft is weak. 

- CB (especially if we let Davis Walk). 

- WR (IF EVANS WALKS)

- TE: Otton is serviceable and I think he'll get a chance to develop into that guy again this year. We don't have the money to really spend heavily on this position or draft opportunity doesn't seem to favor us to upgrade. 

Then depth at RB, WR, DL. 

Once Baker, Winfield, and David are signed: How do we best utilize the cap? Can we get a value FA starter at one of these positions? What is the strength of the draft? 

I can tell you if Evans walks, its WR and OL so I do see us spending an early round pick on one of those two positions. If We find a way to keep Evans - I say Edge and G/C could be our first two picks. I don't think the draft is strong at S so i can see us looking in FA to fill that void. I'm not sure why Izien isn't a candidate to start opposite Winfield. 

• Like 1