2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I don't hate the Reader signing at all. Never said anything negative about it. 

I've supported my thoughts on the CB trade with data. 

It is what it is 

I get that you didn't like the trade. My issue is you saying we stayed even while GB and CHI got better.  There is no world where we didn't get better.  Did we add a perennial pro bowl difference maker?  Nope.  Did we get a lot better? Yes.  If you take into account guys like Love, Reed, etc getting better, do you then have to expect the same from Jamo, Branch, Laporta, Gibbs, etc?  Yes.  

I get we didn't make the moves you wanted, but claiming we didn't get better while others did and that guys who are better than what we had last year are depth signings is why people are disagreeing with you. 

According to PFF, the Lions have the 9th best OT (Decker), 8th best OG (Ragnow), Best overall C (Ragnow), 15th best OG (Zeitler), and best overall OT (Sewell) starting on our OL next year.  Sewell (1st) and Ragnow (3rd) are top three in lineman overall.  I'd say we have a pretty special group there.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

According to PFF, the Lions have the 9th best OT (Decker), 8th best OG (Ragnow), Best overall C (Ragnow), 15th best OG (Zeitler), and best overall OT (Sewell) starting on our OL next year.  Sewell (1st) and Ragnow (3rd) are top three in lineman overall.  I'd say we have a pretty special group there.  

It is a good group that will probably have surprisingly good depth.  One of the things I like about the situation is that even if we take an O-Line prospect high, they won't have to play barring any crazy injury scenarios.  The other thing I like about this situation is that it gives them more flexibility on a trade-back scenario.  If they aren't sold on who is available at 29 they won't hesitate to move off that spot.  I get the feeling that if Darius Robinson is there at #29, he will be the pick.  However, if he is gone, the depth at OT and CB could make a trade-back a sensible scenario depending on how their board looks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is a good group that will probably have surprisingly good depth.  One of the things I like about the situation is that even if we take an O-Line prospect high, they won't have to play barring any crazy injury scenarios.  The other thing I like about this situation is that it gives them more flexibility on a trade-back scenario.  If they aren't sold on who is available at 29 they won't hesitate to move off that spot.  I get the feeling that if Darius Robinson is there at #29, he will be the pick.  However, if he is gone, the depth at OT and CB could make a trade-back a sensible scenario depending on how their board looks.

I still think Sorsdal has upside and will get a chance to compete for a spot but obviously he will have some heavy hitters ahead of him.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he bounces back out as a swing tackle as well since thats where he played in college.  

In the draft, I agree it is nice to not have to force someone to start, and I feel that way about most positions on our team.  Obviously DE is the weakest but even there I think we are ok with Davenport and Houston added back in.  I am leaning towards wanting a top OG/C early just to keep the strength a strength.  I actually seem to like some of the guys projected later at OT more than I do some of the late first/early 2nd round guys so I don't mind waiting on drafting an OT.  But I wouldn't be shocked at all if we draft JPJ or Frazier in the first and then grab Amegadjie, Paul or Foster in the second or early third.  

51 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get that you didn't like the trade. My issue is you saying we stayed even while GB and CHI got better.  There is no world where we didn't get better.  Did we add a perennial pro bowl difference maker?  Nope.  Did we get a lot better? Yes.  If you take into account guys like Love, Reed, etc getting better, do you then have to expect the same from Jamo, Branch, Laporta, Gibbs, etc?  Yes.  

I get we didn't make the moves you wanted, but claiming we didn't get better while others did and that guys who are better than what we had last year are depth signings is why people are disagreeing with you. 

Never said Detroit didn't get better. Said the trajectory isn't diff than GB 

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I still think Sorsdal has upside and will get a chance to compete for a spot but obviously he will have some heavy hitters ahead of him.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he bounces back out as a swing tackle as well since thats where he played in college.  

In the draft, I agree it is nice to not have to force someone to start, and I feel that way about most positions on our team.  Obviously DE is the weakest but even there I think we are ok with Davenport and Houston added back in.  I am leaning towards wanting a top OG/C early just to keep the strength a strength.  I actually seem to like some of the guys projected later at OT more than I do some of the late first/early 2nd round guys so I don't mind waiting on drafting an OT.  But I wouldn't be shocked at all if we draft JPJ or Frazier in the first and then grab Amegadjie, Paul or Foster in the second or early third.  

Once you get past Darius Robinson and Marshawn Kneeland, most of the EDGE prospects seem like role-players with a lot of under-sized prospects.  I could see them grabbing Amegadjie because of his immense upside but it is hard to figure out where he lands right now.  His limited tape is really good and his measurables are outstanding.  Yale's Pro Day is on March 30th so hopefully he will answer some questions at that point.  

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Once you get past Darius Robinson and Marshawn Kneeland, most of the EDGE prospects seem like role-players with a lot of under-sized prospects.  I could see them grabbing Amegadjie because of his immense upside but it is hard to figure out where he lands right now.  His limited tape is really good and his measurables are outstanding.  Yale's Pro Day is on March 30th so hopefully he will answer some questions at that point.  

Actually, this could let them bring in prospects like Amegadijie, Khyree Jackson and others players with high-end traits that would benefit from not having to play early.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Never said Detroit didn't get better. Said the trajectory isn't diff than GB 

My bad, it was before a couple signings you said GB and CHI were catching us and we have stayed even.  But still after that you mentioned GB and DET have had equivalent progress and the Bears have done more, which still feels like the same sentiment.  I don't see GB's moves as much.  Swapping Jacobs for Jones is meh and just cost them a lot more money.  Signing Xavier McKinney is definitely an upgrade.  So they have upgraded one, maybe two positions if you count Jacobs as an upgrade.  They also lost their LT in Bahktiari and their starting LG in Runyan.  So their OL is currently worse than last year (even though Bahktiari was hurt most of the year). The Packers also cut D'Vondre Campbell who again was injured much of last year but they are worse without him and he is expected to play this year.  

The Bears brought in D'Andre Swift who might be a slight upgrade to Herbert but not much and he will only provide two games of value.  Adding Keenan Allen is a big improvement to their WR core for sure.  He is aging however, so this is a short term solution.  Kevin Byard is a nice signing as well so they did upgrade their S group as well.  Gerald Everett at this point is a solid backup TE.  Other moves they have made: Signing OL Jake Curhan who was awful in 300 snaps last year and been awful all three years in the league, signed a LB with 20 career tackles (3 in the last two years combined), signed Coleman Shelton who has been pretty rough in his career (48.9 pass blocking grade last year) and likely isn't an upgrade to their OL, signed DL Jacob Martin who averages 200 snaps a year and 1 or two sacks, Signed DL Byron Cowart who had zero snaps last year and 200 the year before with a 28 run defense grade and a 51 pass rush grade, added OL Matt Pryor who had 40 snaps last year and 500 the year before with sub 50 run and pass grades, added Jonathan Owens who's best feature is his wife.  So they upgraded S and WR.  They also sold QB for nothing and I am much more nervous about Fields than I am Caleb Williams.  

Meanwhile we upgrade CB1, CB2, CB3, CB4, DE2/3, NT, RG, LG with the moves we have made.  Everyone we signed will make a difference.  We aren't filling out the bottom of our roster with other teams fodder, we don't have enough roster space to do that.  I'd say that although the increase in WR for the Bears and S for the Packers are significant, DJ Reader and Carlton Davis will have as much or more impact this year.  

32 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have an un-related question.  Has anyone seen any rumors'/news about prospect visits and how they went?  I am curious about how they and other teams are viewing Quan'tez Stiggers.

I just managed to answer my own question on Quan'Tez Stiggers.  At least partially.  His Pro Day Results:

Per sources, the reigning CFL Most Outstanding Rookie measured in at five-foot-11 and 204 pounds, with a 73 3/8-inch wingspan, 30 7/8-inch arms, and 8 7/8-inch hands. He posted a 36.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, eight-inch broad jump while running 4.47 in the forty-yard dash. He also posted a 4.25 short shuttle and 7.20 three-cone on a wet field.

Apparently he ran his pro day on a wet field outside.  Compared to a lot of the CBs in the draft he has a much more solid build at 204 Lbs.  Those are pretty good numbers to go along with the good coverage and ball skills that he has on tape.  

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/16/29-nfl-teams-attend-impressive-pro-day-for-argos-db-qwantez-stiggers/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

There are plenty of edge prospects in this class that fit the bill for us.  Given we have multiple different types of edge guys (Hutch, Cominsky, Paschal, Houston, Okwara x2, Harris) all had different roles and specialties.  Some of the undersized guys fit that Harris/Okwara/Houston role just fine.  Some of the bigger edges/smaller interior guys would fit the Cominsky role.  Then a lot of the 255-280 guys can fit the Paschal role. 

Guys who could replace/backup Paschal - Liatu Latu (260), Jared Verse (260), Marshawn Kneeland (270), Erik Watts (275), Trajan Jeffcoat (265), Elijah Roberts (275)

Guys to replace Harris/Okwara or backup Houston - Bralen Trice (255), Chop Robinson (250), Adisa issac (255), Jonah Ellis (245), Gabriel Murphy (250), Javon Solomon (245), Mohamad Komara (250), Nelson Caesar (250), Jalen Green (245)

Guys to replace/backup Cominsky - Darius Robinson (285), Brandon Dorlus (285), Braden Fiske (290), Michael Hall Jr (280), Mehki Wingo (285), Justin Eboigbe (290), Logan Lee (280)

So yes there are a bunch of small guys who get after the QB at a high level, but I wouldn't be shocked if we grab a couple of these guys from the different buckets.  

19 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I just managed to answer my own question on Quan'Tez Stiggers.  At least partially.  His Pro Day Results:

Per sources, the reigning CFL Most Outstanding Rookie measured in at five-foot-11 and 204 pounds, with a 73 3/8-inch wingspan, 30 7/8-inch arms, and 8 7/8-inch hands. He posted a 36.5-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, eight-inch broad jump while running 4.47 in the forty-yard dash. He also posted a 4.25 short shuttle and 7.20 three-cone on a wet field.

Apparently he ran his pro day on a wet field outside.  Compared to a lot of the CBs in the draft he has a much more solid build at 204 Lbs.  Those are pretty good numbers to go along with the good coverage and ball skills that he has on tape.  

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/16/29-nfl-teams-attend-impressive-pro-day-for-argos-db-qwantez-stiggers/

I definitely am intrigued by him.  Its obviously a path nobody else has ever taken so you can't compare him to other CFL guys in that most don't work in the NFL.  He seems to have the measurables and speed.  I am glad we brought him in at least to get a close look.  

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I definitely am intrigued by him.  Its obviously a path nobody else has ever taken so you can't compare him to other CFL guys in that most don't work in the NFL.  He seems to have the measurables and speed.  I am glad we brought him in at least to get a close look.  

One thing that I hadn't really considered is his football IQ.  For him to succeed as he has, his football IQ has to be pretty high as well.