2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

If you look at Cameron Wake this guy looks similar in size and production in CFL. 

Wake was crazy good for a couple years so if this guy could do half that i would be thrilled 

I'm assuming it's not an expensive contract, so if he can get half of the production of like Danielle Hunter for 1/4 of the price, great steal. 

It makes me wonder if the Lions are going for any splash FAs. Holmes doesn't have a track record for that.

Like I know fans would want Jaylon Johnson CB or LJarius Sneed CB but I could definitely see someone like Stephon Gilmore for 1 year instead and draft his replacement this year.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I'm assuming it's not an expensive contract, so if he can get half of the production of like Danielle Hunter for 1/4 of the price, great steal. 

It makes me wonder if the Lions are going for any splash FAs. Holmes doesn't have a track record for that.

Like I know fans would want Jaylon Johnson CB or LJarius Sneed CB but I could definitely see someone like Stephon Gilmore for 1 year instead and draft his replacement this year.

They can't do a FA splash because they need to extend to many players 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

This signing tells me Cominsky is getting cut. Same type player, higher upside, cheaper, and we can add capspace with the move. 

I don't think Mathieu Betts is the same type of player as Cominsky.  Betts seems like competition for James Houston.  However, Cominsky's drop in production is significant enough to think he isn't a lock for the roster.  

On 2/17/2024 at 11:04 AM, Just Want A Title said:

I don't think Mathieu Betts is the same type of player as Cominsky.  Betts seems like competition for James Houston.  However, Cominsky's drop in production is significant enough to think he isn't a lock for the roster.  

Betts and Houston have more of a similar build and likely a similar role. Houston has proven production but he's likely going to angle for a bigger contract and is coming off of that injury. Betts is looking for an opportunity. So I'd say this is JH insurance. 

On 2/17/2024 at 11:04 AM, Just Want A Title said:

I could see them cutting Cominsky and drafting an edge in the first round. Paschal is the Cominsky replacement.

To me this sounds like taking a chance on a guy who produced in a worse league in hopes it can translate and that he can make the roster.  This doesn't spell the end for anyone IMO at this point but is a roster filler for now to replace the free agents on the line in Okwara x 2 and Harris.  Seems to fill that Julian Okwara type build. 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

So now they are sitting 4th in dead cap if I read right? That sucks. Not a huge chunk but worse than I like to see. 

It isn't ideal but with the salary cap reportedly coming in at roughly $243 million it isn't something that should hurt the Lions too much.  Making Tracy Walker a post June 1st cut would offset about $8 million of that dead money cost.  The good news is that it will drop off the books for the 2025 season when we have to deal with and extension for Jared Goff.  I am pretty sure the Lions are going invoke the 5th-year option on Penei Sewell which will give him a big raise for that year but his big extension won't hit until 2026.  If they can put themselves in a situation where they are dealing with no more than one large contract extension per year that would be the best-case scenario for me.

It isn't talked about much but Taylor Decker's contract expires after the 2024 season also.  I suspect he will be extended on a relatively team-friendly deal given his age and recent injury issues.  His extension could also help offset the dead cap charges for this year also.