NFC NORTH MOCKS - Chicago

Karnage84

Despite winning the NFC North, the Lions should be facing some stiff competition against teams like the Packers, Bears and Vikings for the division title. I'm going to do a couple of mini-mocks to see what that could look like, especially as teams build their rosters to take out the current Kings of the North. 

CHICAGO

The Bears are in a super intriguing spot. Matt Eberflus somehow has retained his job. They're trying to figure out what to do with Justin Fields. The Bears played the Lions pretty hard and we split the series in 2023. 

FREE AGENCY

The Bears have a ton of cap space and a sense of urgency to get the ship righted. 

• Danielle Hunter - 3 years x $75M
  • Jaylon Johnson - Franchise Tag ($18M)
  • Mike Evans - 3 years

POST DRAFT SIGNING

• Russell Wilson, QB: New Bears OC, Shane Waldron, spent the 2021 season with Wilson in Seattle. Eberflus needs a strong season otherwise he's likely going to be fired. He brings in a veteran starter to complement the pieces he's added to the defense. Wilson holds off on making his selection until after the draft. 

DRAFT

TRADES

Washington trades the #2 overall pick, #40, 2025 2nd to Chicago for #1 Overall. Washington drafts Caleb Williams, QC, USC: The Commanders are poised to select their QBOTF. The Bears continue to add draft capital to build out the roster. 

Pittsburgh trades #20, #84 for Justin Fields and #40: Justin Fields gets a chance of scenery and Mike Tomlin is reportedly a fan. The Bears get a 1st while the Steelers give up the value of a high 2nd. 

Las Vegas trades #13, #44, #77, 2025 1st, 2025 2nd to the Bears for #2 overall. Las Vegas selects Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU: The Bears get an offer they can't refuse from the Raiders. New HC Antonio Pierce has strong connections to Daniels from his time at Arizona State. The Raiders need to upgrade their QB position from the likes of Jimmy G and Aidan O'Connell. 

#9 Joe Alt, LT, Notre Dame: The Bears added Darnell Wright last year at RT. They now add Alt to be their book-end on the left-hand side. Chicago looks to what the Lions have done and how they've had success over the past few years under Dan Campbell. Emphasizing the OL has been a key part of that.

#13 Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama:  This is a passing league and the Bears want to add a running mate to go with Johnson. Arnold has a high ceiling and can develop into a top flight corner

#20 Jackson Powers-Johnson, OC, Oregon: The Bears get their Frank Ragnow. They have a young OL group that will be foundational for years to come

Chicago trades #84 and 2025 1st(LV) to Kansas City for #32

#32 JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan: This could be a matter of "pick your flavour". Maybe it's McCarthy or Penix or Nix. The Bears now have a young QB they can develop to help reset the QB clock as opposed to paying Fields a big value contract. Wilson should allow them to be competitive this year with an eye toward the future. 

#44 Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State: Despite the additions of Sweat and Hunter, you can never have enough pass-rush. Robinson can be a high-end backup who should develop into a starting role

#75 Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington: The Bears need a Slot WR with Mooney being a free agent. Russell Wilson now has a strong OL to go along with DJ Moore, Mike Evans and Jalen McMillan as his receiving options

#77 DeWayne Carter, DT, Duke: The Bears need a 3T on the defensive line. Carter has the easiest job in the world being paired up with Montez Sweat and Danielle Hunter. 

SUMMARY

As a Lions fan, I would hate this. The Bears have some talented pieces already and this would make them legit contenders in the NFC North. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I think it'll take more to get #1 pick. That's not really a good deal for Washington. 

Not with the once in generation QB as he is touted to be there 

The value of the #1 overall pick is 3000 pts. I factored in a 20% QB surcharge bringing it to 3600 pts. 

#2 = 2600

#40 = 500

2025 2nd = 420

= 3520 pts

You could throw in a bit extra to bring it up to the true value. 

35 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The value of the #1 overall pick is 3000 pts. I factored in a 20% QB surcharge bringing it to 3600 pts. 

#2 = 2600

#40 = 500

2025 2nd = 420

= 3520 pts

You could throw in a bit extra to bring it up to the true value. 

Using the DVC from decades ago? That explains a lot. That is so archaic

Teams have admitted they abandoned that old version years ago. 

This in my opinion is better model but still likely not close 

https://nfldraftfanatics.com/draft-value-chart

Edited by detfan782004

23 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Using the DVC from decades ago? That explains a lot. That is so archaic

Teams have admitted they abandoned that old version years ago. 

This in my opinion is better model but still likely not close 

https://nfldraftfanatics.com/draft-value-chart

1st overall = 1000 points

2nd overall = 717 points

#40 = 149 points

2025 2nd = 121 points (valued at #16)

DIFF = 15 points (5th rounder)

There's not enough of a difference to have this level of condescension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

1st overall = 1000 points

2nd overall = 717 points

#40 = 149 points

2025 2nd = 121 points (valued at #16)

DIFF = 15 points (5th rounder)

There's not enough of a difference to have this level of condescension.

Tack on the 20% surcharge for QB and it's a huge difference 

Dewayne Carter seems like a quality prospect who is somewhat under-rated to me.  I considered mocking him to the Lions.  The Bears could be much improved with the amount of salary cap space and draft capital they have at their disposal.  Still, they have to execute properly.  It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

12 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Tack on the 20% surcharge for QB and it's a huge difference 

Which is the equivalent of a late 1st. 

That can be sorted out with the inclusion of a player and/or Chicago could take the reduction by getting a firm deal done well in advance of the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Dewayne Carter seems like a quality prospect who is somewhat under-rated to me.  I considered mocking him to the Lions.  The Bears could be much improved with the amount of salary cap space and draft capital they have at their disposal.  Still, they have to execute properly.  It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

Carter the player seems like a good one. Carter to the Lions doesn't seem like the right fit unless we change up our DL scheme. McNeill seems to thrive at 3T which is why most of his pairings are with guys that are 320 - 330 playing NT. Levi and AM were taken in the same draft and I bet Holmes envisioned McNeill at 1T/NT with Levi as an undersized 3T. 

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Carter the player seems like a good one. Carter to the Lions doesn't seem like the right fit unless we change up our DL scheme. McNeill seems to thrive at 3T which is why most of his pairings are with guys that are 320 - 330 playing NT. Levi and AM were taken in the same draft and I bet Holmes envisioned McNeill at 1T/NT with Levi as an undersized 3T. 

I suppose it comes down to how much they trust the health of Levi Onwuzurike.  I was pretty skeptical out of training camp but to the surprise of just about everyone he was putting in some quality reps at the end of the season.  I don't know what his future holds but he seems like a decent rotational DT if his back holds up.  Also, he seemed looked a lot bigger than his listed playing weight of 291 Lbs.  That is probably a good thing.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Which is the equivalent of a late 1st. 

That can be sorted out with the inclusion of a player and/or Chicago could take the reduction by getting a firm deal done well in advance of the draft. 

To go from 2 to 1 for Caleb it won't come without a future 1st

2024- #2 overall 

2025 1st rounder.

I am not a Caleb fan but that's the reality