2024 Franchise Tag values revealed

RaidersAreOne

On 2/24/2024 at 1:47 AM, Tugboat said:

He's listed as OLB and that's really what he's played most of his career as.  But my comment is more down to the difference between a 3-4 OLB/Rush LBer and a 4-3DE being virtually indistinguishable in a lot of cases.  They're the same player, even as the scheme changes around them and messes with their alignment a little tiny bit.

I don't think they'd actually bother quibbling over it, but it brings up the idea that if the Tag #s for the two continue to diverge...you might end up with another weird point of contention between Players/Agents/Teams.

It's where...something like actually having an "EDGE" tag would probably make sense at some point.  To better differentiate between 3-4 DEs and 4-3 DEs.  As well as to more appropriately differentiate between a Pass Rushing Outside LBer who is worth an absolute ton like Allen, and your run of the mill off ball LBer who does a completely different job with a completely different sort of pay scale that would make sense for them.

I wonder if they could address the "off ball" OLB vs. "pass rushing" EDGE by having a % of snaps pass rushing.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, Soko said:

Unfortunately, can’t imagine NE franchises Michael Onwenu at $20M. They could pretty easily do it with $80M+ in cap, just doesn’t seem like they wanna go that route. Same for Dugger.

Budda Baker to NE just feels right.

2 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

I wonder if they could address the "off ball" OLB vs. "pass rushing" EDGE by having a % of snaps pass rushing.

To be fair, Josh Allen could do both at a pro bowl level...

So, double tag?

Give him tag value like what LeVeon Bell wanted. "RB1, WR2" kinda deal.

Guys like Josh Allen and Micah Parsons and to a WAY lesser extent, Zaven Collins get tagged as EDGE 1, LB2.

That way nobody tags them and the Cardinals can sign them

5 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

I mean, there are certainly ways of ascertaining whether a guy is a real "off ball LBer" or a "pass rusher".  But it'd still fundamentally require them to recategorize things.  With some sort of "EDGE" tag.  Rather than just lumping rush LBers in with everyone else.  And entirely different types of DEs all together.

It's not a big enough gulf right now, and it's not a big enough issue for them to likely deal with.  But it does make it really infeasible to tag say, an off ball 4-3 MLB.  At what amounts to premiere pass rusher type money, that's just not going to make sense.