Cut/Trade Candidates

HuskieBear

If Thomas is on the Saints this season, he makes 1.2 mil. He can do better than that on the open market and I believe has a void option. So he's probably not going to be on the Saints roster this coming season. Unless he does a new contract to move cap hits around. 

37 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

If Thomas is on the Saints this season, he makes 1.2 mil. He can do better than that on the open market and I believe has a void option. So he's probably not going to be on the Saints roster this coming season. Unless he does a new contract to move cap hits around. 

What is it you think he would fetch if he were a FA? He’s a 31-year old guy who has 95/1057/4 combined over the past 4 seasons, who doesn’t play any special teams, and who has missed 46 games over that stretch. If he got anything other than a league minimum deal with incentives (which is what he already has in NO) I’d be really surprised, and even that might be tough - I can’t see anyone signing him expecting him to start all year with his injury history, and if he doesn’t play on ST he can’t really be a useful depth guy. 

FWIW Spotrac doesn’t show any kind of player void option for 2024. They do show that he earns $220k every week he’s active though (up to $3.7M), bringing his compensation up to nearly $5M in 2024 if he can just stay on the field (not a given for him, but it’s the easiest incentive someone can possibly earn). Not only is sticking with the Saints almost certainly his best option for 2024 - it might be his only option.