Arlignton Apes Dynasty

Sugashane

With pick 190 I'm taking WR Brenden Rice. I have no faith in Velus and think he could be a returner under the new rules too. Maybe the traits allow him to develop into a real WR. He has day 2 physical gifts, and a bloodline you love. 

Plus, seeing Jerry Rice in navy and orange? Yes please. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, Sugashane said:
  Sugashane's Bears Dynasty  - 2024 Season (Updated on 4/27/2024 - Post Draft)  

Pos Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 Player 4 Player 5
Offense
QB Williams, Caleb (R) Bagent, Tyson  Cunningham, Malik     
RB Henry, Derrick Herbert, Khalil Allen, Braelon (R) Gordon, Melvin Snell Jr., Benny
FB Blasingame, Khari  (Howard, OJ)      
XWR Moore, DJ  Davis, Gabe Jones Jr., Velus Johnson, Collin  
ZWR Odunze, Rome (R) Bobo, Jake Isabella, Andy Webster, Nsimba   
YWR Allen, Keenan (Wilson, Johnny) (R) Rice, Brenden (R) Reed, Joe   
TE Kmet, Cole  Gesicki, Mike Wilson, Johnny (R) Howard, OJ Kuntz, Zach
LT Wright, Darnell  Borom, Larry  Manu, Giovanni (R) Mbaeteka, Roy  
LG Jenkins, Teven  Vorhees, Andrew Carvin, Jerome     
C Jones, Braxton  Jones, Ben (Vorhees, Andrew) Kramer Jr., Doug   
RG Torrence O'Cyrus Davis, Nate (Vorhees, Andrew) Carter, Ja'Tyre  Murray, Bill 
RT Jones, Dawand Sharpe, David      
    Total Players on Offense - 32    

Defense
LDE Sweat, Montez  Walker, DeMarcus Cox, Jr, Brenton Cole, Myles (R) Hardy, Daniel 
NT Billings, Andrew  Hicks, Akiem Bohanna, Quinton    
3T Dexter Sr., Gervon  Autry, Denico (Walker, DeMarcus) Dwumfour, Michael   
RDE Harrison, Zach Epenesa, AJ Winovich, Chase Robinson, Dominique  
WLB Edwards, T.J.  Wilson, Payton (R) Baskerville, Micah  Kareem, Khalid   
MLB Edmunds, Tremaine  Cole, Dylan       
SLB Sanborn, Jack (Cox, Jr., Brenton) (Winovich, Chase) (Robinson, Dominique)  
LCB Johnson, Jaylon  Peters, Marcus Williams, Greedy Jones, Jaylon  
NB Gordon, Kyler  Fuller, Kyle Blackwell, Josh     
RCB DeJean, Cooper (R) Jones, Sidney Stroman Jr., Greg     
SS Byard, Kevin Harrison Jr., Ronnie Rowe, Eric Johnson, Quindell    
FS Brisker, Jaquan  Hicks, Elijah  Colbert, Adrian Moore, Tarvarius   
    Total Players on Defense - 33    

Special Teams
PT Araiza, Matt Gill, Trenton      
PK Santos, Cairo        
LS Scales, Patrick Lyons, Cameron       
H Araiza, Matt Waitman, Corliss       
KO Santos, Cairo        
PR Rice, Brenden (R) Isabella, Andy Jones Jr., Velus    
KR Rice, Brenden (R) Isabella, Andy Jones Jr., Velus  Homer, Travis  

Got my guys! LFG!!

Also Stephen Gilmore has yet to receive a contract so I am going to assume he wanted more cash, and I simply was not budging past what I offered. If he took the deal for much less then I will add him and adjust. DeJean could be a S for Byard or Brisker too. 

Updated the depth chart. I have a short list of prospects I want to bring in for UDFAs. 

EDGE Eric Watts 

DL Gabe Hall

CB Dwight McGlothern

S James Williams

WR Tajh Washington

OT Frank Crum

OT Ethan Driskell

OT Anim Dankwah

S Tyler Owens

WR Terique Owens

DL Keith Randolph

RB Cason Steele

On 4/26/2024 at 7:48 PM, Sugashane said:

So there were two trades in the early 2nd round.

Cards traded back and received 43 (470) and 79 (195) for a total of 665 points. Patriots got 37 (530) and 110 (74) for a total of 604 points. So I will say NE made the trade for their pick 34 for my 1st round pick. 

For my pick at 34 I pick CB Cooper DeJean. 

I think NE would most definitely take that. So long as it's not a top 10 pick, worth it imo.

I love your offense. Feel like this is a middle of the pack squad with upside depending on Caleb, definitely bright future ahead. Henry and that OL will take a lot of pressure off Caleb and be great for his development.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adamq said:

I think NE would most definitely take that. So long as it's not a top 10 pick, worth it imo.

That was my logic as well. NE knows they are having a lot of turnover and Wolf/Mayo know they are resetting the whole franchise, so this allows them to start running the organization under their own vision and see who fits or doesn't. Next year they'll have two 1sts to either add talent or to trade up for a Mykel Williams or Will Campbell or whoever at the top and still have the (hopefully Bears  lol) later first to support Maye.

2 hours ago, adamq said:

I love your offense. Feel like this is a middle of the pack squad with upside depending on Caleb, definitely bright future ahead. Henry and that OL will take a lot of pressure off Caleb and be great for his development.

I appreciate the feedback man. I'm always a fan of building the trenches. Protect your QB, beat the hell out of theirs, and the score will almost always be in your favor.

• Like 1

Post Draft Thoughts

1.1 - QB Caleb Williams

I love getting Williams. In my real-time drafts I have gotten Dak and Mahomes prior to them being drafted and now I have the QB I want with the HC/playcaller I want (Ben Johnson). This is where the Apes can become dominant. Johnson thrives on getting the QB and offensive talents to utilize their strengths and attack where they want to through a variety of formations and looks. He can call multiple plays off one look as well, so it makes it hard to key in on any one player as they spread the ball around. He thrives on play -action which is a REAL issue for defenses with Henry/Herbert/Allen all charging straight at them. Williams has remarkable arm talent and has top 3 weapons (easy claim as well) in the league with an OL that has a LOT of passblocking ability. 

1.9 - WR Rome Odunze

Odunze is the perfect player to learn behind Allen and Moore. He can be the deep threat immediately and use his high-end physical tools as he learns the nuances of the position behind them. Both Allen and Moore are technicians that will attract the bulk of the passes, but I think Odunze ends 2024 as the most explosive WR. Due to one of them being doubled and the other likely having CB1 he may end the year with the highest YPC and TD total. Odunze gets to walk in as the top WR3 by far in the league and gets to develop his weaker points slowly as he gets to use his size/speed/athleticism combo to be a thorn in defenses from the start. 

2.34 - CB/S Cooper DeJean

The Apes had one real hole going into the draft and it was CB2 (assuming Gilmore has not taken the contract, that is to be seen). There was aging talent there like Peters and Sydney Jones is a serviceable reserve, but you know damn good and well where offenses will try to pick at when you are in nickel with Johnson, Gordon, and Peters/Jones. DeJean is a baller, and is a damn physical player. With Richard being the DC there will be a lot of cover 3 and this fits DeJean perfectly. He can be physical at the line, keep his head back towards the QB more, and make plays on the ball. Its the perfect role for him. I could also plug him as a multi-role hybrid defensed like Honey Badger if Gilmore does accept the contract offer I gave. 

3.94 -  LB Payton Wilson

Edwards is getting older, Sanborn is a classic SAM who can also attack in a MIKE role, but may get picked on in the passing game. So the Bears may be looking for a new WILL soon. Wilson fits like a glove. He is super athletic, hunts ballcarriers like a rabid wolf, and is a damn quick processor on the field. If Richard wants him to bulk up a bit then he has this whole year to likely get time to do so without losing that elite speed, if he has to plug and play then he will get to take his lumps with a fantastic crowd around him. 

4.122 - OT Giovanni Manu

I feel like I've been talking about Parcell's Planet theory a lot lately, but I do that each draft. There are only so many guys that are a combination of freakish size and athleticism that you take them on as projects just due to that. I had Mailata and did it (I drafted him before PHI did) and he has become one of the best LTs in the league while having no real experience in football. Manu has been playing against what I would call D2 talent but I want to be able to bring him in to push for a swing tackle, he is nothing more than a project and might not even dress on Sundays, IDK. But I know my OL coach has a LOT of clay to work with when it comes to this mammoth. 

4.123 - HB Braelon Allen

Allen might be one of the most underrated players in the draft IMO. Dude is a physical specimen and brings a physicality to the RB position I adore. He isn't shifty as you would find in 200lb RBs but is agile enough for a power runner, can find lanes and loves to truck through defenders if he isn't leaving them in the dirt. I love it, and when Herbert inevitably walks in 2025 he will step into RB2 to provide Henry spells, and will continue beating up defenses when Henry needs a breath. 

6.185 - WR/TE Johnny Wilson

I signed Gesicki but he is a stopgap until I can see him play well consistently. Wilson is a 6'7" WR who fell in the draft for some reason, I had him as a 4th round talent. He competes hard for the ball and has a massive catch radius. I convert him to TE and try to get him up to 245-250 over the next year or two and let him learn the TE role. He is already a fighter of a blocker as well. That being said I have no intentions of running him as a traditional TE, he is a move end in the likes of Dallas Clark, Jimmy Graham, etc. I love having these players because you can run multiple concepts of 11 and 12 personnel with the same exact group, and just attack in whichever way is more advantageous for your offense. If they put a CB on Wilson then you may have a significant advantage on running his way, if they cover with a LB then spread him out and attack through the air. 

6.190 - WR Brenden Rice

I've said Rice and Washington were overrated all offseason, and apparently the NFL agreed with me. Williams made them, they did not make Williams. That being said Rice does have some physical tools worth noting. He is an aggressive WR and will fight like a dog for 50/50 balls, and while he isn't the specimen in the likes of MHJ/Nabers/Odunze he does have a solid set of physical gifts to work with. He is inconsistent but when he is 'on' you see traits that came from his father, these games are just too infrequent to allow him to be drafted higher. I actually may have him start as a returner as he has experience there and is dangerous when in space. Maybe working behind Moore and Allen helps him see where he is lacking and he develops into a solid WR3 once Allen leaves/retires. I won't hold out hope, but I have no doubt he can outperform Velus Jones so he already has a spot for me. 

Plus seeing Jerry Rice come to Chicago in a Bears uniform? Oh hells yes. 

7.219 - Myles Cole

Kid is just a hellish athlete on the field, 6'6", absolute vines for arms, nearly 280lbs and can move as quick as he does? And he has a non-stop motor? I don't care that he is unrefined or older for a rookie, he has tools to work with and should be able to at least provide depth for a few years. If he can figure it out he is at least a 3rd passrusher with the size to attack from anywhere. With his lack of lateral mobility he may even be best fit as an interior rusher in nickel. That or you have a base power end to throw on the OL. Either way if he can be a rotational piece while being drafted in the 7th you got a steal. 

I'm not sure how to decide what UDFAs I was able to get but I will note my targets at least. 

EDGE Eric Watts 

Guy has elite length and great burst. Stiff but has power, size, and explosiveness. Reminds me of Cornelius Washington. Honestly with how aggressive he is if he can't stick on the DL he may be able to be a punishing fullback. 

DL Gabe Hall

Kid is super strong and has some burst. IDK if he has the ability to play NT with him being under 300 but I think he could grow into it as he is a lean 290, but with his burst he may be able to shoot gaps as a 3T. Wears down late so maybe a rotational only piece, but with an UDFA you're happy to get someone good enough to be depth. 

CB Dwight McGlothern

I want him, he is a bit of a ballhawk and likely could find himself being a depth piece early on. He is too light to be a press guy IMO but with how good he is in zone he may be a FS convert too. 

S James Williams

A S to LB convert that will take time to develop, he has some serious talent to work with. He may move back as a SS in heavy formations or may be able to fit in as a dime-backer. If he plays any S he would be an attacking one much like Derwin James. I wouldn't like having him as a deep guy often, he would fill the Kam Chancellor role when in cover 3. 

WR Tahj Wshington

This is more of a nod to Williams as they have a history, Washington comes in to compete as a slot depth piece and returner. He finds zones well and has a good connection with Williams, but he just lacks anything special about him physically to work with. He isn't fast or really quick, he isn't big or strong, and doesn't have crazy ability after the catch. He is a reliable set of hands and runs good routes, maybe he could be considered a poor man's Ricky Proehl. 

OT Frank Crum

6'8 athlete. Enough said. He moves WAY better than you would think for being that tall, but has shorter arms than you'd like. Strong kid, maybe moves inside to OG so it doesn't bother him as much ans he can still move laterally well when in one on one situations. 

OT Ethan Driskell

Likely a quick cut. He has a ridiculous wingspan and is athletic, but just looks like he's new to the sport at times. He is mean as a runblocker though so maybe he goes inside? He is a potential practice squad stash as well. 

OT Anim Dankwah

Guy is mammoth number 2 for me. He is someone who looks like they could be a developmental RT, he has a ton of strength and can anchor, maybe he needs a chip more than most but with his ridiculous arm length and strength he is going to be hell to get away when he latches on. Probably never dresses his rookie year but I like him as an OT project.

S Tyler Owens

Guy is a freak athlete but may never be able to be a real rotational piece. I do 100% believe that he can be an elite special teams gunner though. That is worth a bottom spot for me, especially with the new kick return rules. 

WR Terique Owens

Little more than a nod to TO and maybe get him into Solider Field in a Bears uni. I expect him to sign in SF. 

DL Keith Randolph

Local guy, super strong and mean. I like him and think he was a 5th round prospect. Solid NT potential IMO, which works out well with Billings and Hicks owning that spot for 2024. 

RB Cason Steele

Kid is a good, strong athlete. IDK if he can stick at RB but I'm always a fan of runners who can lower their head or make a few moves. He is a guy who can't break the 40+ yarders but I feel like at minimum can be a solid bottom depth runner or even a versatile FB with his play strength. It would be a test to see how well/hard he can block. He has room to grow and is already 230lbs, so maybe he offers up more than Blasigame as a weapon (I believe so as well). But can he block as well? TC and preseason would be where to test that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  Sugashane's Bears Dynasty  - 2024 Season (Updated on 5/08/2024 - Post Draft)  

Pos Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 Player 4 Player 5
Offense
QB Williams, Caleb (R) Bagent, Tyson  Cunningham, Malik     
RB Henry, Derrick Herbert, Khalil Allen, Braelon (R) Gordon, Melvin Snell Jr., Benny
FB Blasingame, Khari  (Howard, OJ) Steele, Carson (R)    
XWR Moore, DJ  Davis, Gabe Jones Jr., Velus Johnson, Collin  
ZWR Odunze, Rome (R) Bobo, Jake Isabella, Andy Webster, Nsimba   
YWR Allen, Keenan (Wilson, Johnny) (R) Rice, Brenden (R) Reed, Joe  Washington, Tahj (R)
TE Kmet, Cole  Gesicki, Mike Wilson, Johnny (R) Howard, OJ Kuntz, Zach
LT Wright, Darnell  Borom, Larry  Manu, Giovanni (R) Crum, Frank (R)  
LG Jenkins, Teven  Vorhees, Andrew Carvin, Jerome  Driskell, Ethan (R)  
C Jones, Braxton  Jones, Ben (Vorhees, Andrew) Kramer Jr., Doug   
RG Torrence O'Cyrus Davis, Nate (Vorhees, Andrew) Carter, Ja'Tyre  Murray, Bill 
RT Jones, Dawand Sharpe, David Dankwah, Anim (R) Mbaeteka, Roy  
    Total Players on Offense - 45    

Defense
LDE Sweat, Montez  Walker, DeMarcus Cox, Jr, Brenton Cole, Myles (R) Watts, Eric (R)
NT Billings, Andrew  Hicks, Akiem Bohanna, Quinton Randolph, Keith (R)  
3T Dexter Sr., Gervon  Autry, Denico (Walker, DeMarcus) Hall, Gabe (R) Dwumfour, Michael 
RDE Harrison, Zach Epenesa, AJ Winovich, Chase Robinson, Dominique  
WLB Edwards, T.J.  Wilson, Payton (R) Baskerville, Micah  Kareem, Khalid   
MLB Edmunds, Tremaine  Cole, Dylan  Williams, James (R)    
SLB Sanborn, Jack (Cox, Jr., Brenton) (Winovich, Chase) (Robinson, Dominique)  
LCB Johnson, Jaylon  Peters, Marcus Williams, Greedy Jones, Jaylon  
NB Gordon, Kyler  Fuller, Kyle Blackwell, Josh     
RCB DeJean, Cooper (R) Jones, Sidney Stroman Jr., Greg     
SS Byard, Kevin Harrison Jr., Ronnie Rowe, Eric Johnson, Quindell   Owens, Tyler (R)
FS Brisker, Jaquan  Hicks, Elijah  McGlothern, Dwight (R) Colbert, Adrian  Moore, Tarvarius
    Total Players on Defense - 44    

Special Teams
PT Araiza, Matt        
PK Santos, Cairo        
LS Scales, Patrick        
H Araiza, Matt        
KO Santos, Cairo Araiza, Matt      
PR Rice, Brenden (R) Isabella, Andy Jones Jr., Velus Washington, Tahj (R)  
KR Rice, Brenden (R) Isabella, Andy Jones Jr., Velus  Homer, Travis Washington, Tahj (R)
    Total Players on Special Teams Only - 3

Here is the pre-camp cap Breakdown

Cap Ranking Player Pos. Age Expires 2024 Cap Figure   Top 51
1 Montez Sweat DE 28 2028  $                      25,085,200    $          25,085,200
2 Tremaine Edmunds ILB 26 2027  $                      22,437,500    $          22,437,500
3 D.J. Moore WR 27 2026  $                      16,050,000    $          16,050,000
4 Keenan Allen WR 32 2025  $                      16,000,000    $          16,000,000
5 Jaylon Johnson CB 25 2028  $                      13,000,000    $          13,000,000
6 Cole Kmet TE 25 2028  $                      11,600,000    $          11,600,000
7 Nate Davis G 28 2026  $                      11,352,941    $          11,352,941
8 DeMarcus Walker DE 30 2026  $                         8,666,666    $             8,666,666
9 T.J. Edwards LB 28 2026  $                         7,500,000    $             7,500,000
10 Kevin Byard SS 31 2026  $                         7,000,000    $             7,000,000
11 Denico Autry DL 33 2027  $                         7,000,000    $             7,000,000
12 Caleb Williams QB 23 2028  $                         7,000,000    $             7,000,000
13 Derrick Henry HB 30 2027  $                         6,000,000    $             6,000,000
14 AJ Epenesa DE 25 2027  $                         6,000,000    $             6,000,000
15 Rome Odunze WR  21 2028  $                         5,000,000    $             5,000,000
16 Darnell Wright RT 23 2028  $                         4,765,515    $             4,765,515
17 Cairo Santos K 33 2028  $                         4,260,000    $             4,260,000
18 Andrew Billings DT 29 2026  $                         3,500,000    $             3,500,000
19 Mike Gesicki TE 28 2026  $                         3,500,000    $             3,500,000
20 Larry Borom RT 25 2025  $                         3,199,270    $             3,199,270
21 Teven Jenkins G 26 2025  $                         2,668,860    $             2,668,860
22 Kyler Gordon CB 25 2026  $                         2,368,071    $             2,368,071
23 Marvin Jones Jr. WR 34 2026  $                         2,200,000    $             2,200,000
24 Marcus Peters CB 31 2026  $                         2,200,000    $             2,200,000
25 Cooper DeJean CB 21 2028  $                         2,200,000    $             2,200,000
26 Travis Homer RB 26 2025  $                         2,110,280    $             2,110,280
27 Jaquan Brisker SS 25 2026  $                         2,006,056    $             2,006,056
28 Ben Jones C 34 2026  $                         2,000,000    $             2,000,000
29 Melvin Gordon HB 30 2025  $                         2,000,000    $             2,000,000
30 Ronnie Harrison Jr. SS 26 2026  $                         2,000,000    $             2,000,000
31 OJ Howard TE 29 2026  $                         1,750,000    $             1,750,000
32 Khari Blasingame FB 28 2025  $                         1,600,000    $             1,600,000
33 Gervon Dexter DT 23 2027  $                         1,528,120    $             1,528,120
34 Sidney Jones CB 27 2026  $                         1,500,000    $             1,500,000
35 Kyle Fuller CB/S 32 2026  $                         1,500,000    $             1,500,000
36 Velus Jones WR 27 2026  $                         1,474,344    $             1,474,344
37 O'Cyrus Torrence G 24 2027  $                         1,465,795    $             1,465,795
38 Zach Harrison DE 24 2027  $                         1,309,952    $             1,309,952
39 Matt Araiza P 24 2025  $                         1,300,000    $             1,300,000
40 David Sharpe OT 28 2026  $                         1,300,000    $             1,300,000
41 Greedy Williams CB 26 2025  $                         1,250,000    $             1,250,000
42 Payton Wilson LB 24 2028  $                         1,250,000    $             1,250,000
43 Akiem Hicks  DT  34 2025  $                         1,200,000    $             1,200,000
44 Andy Isabella WR/HB 27 2025  $                         1,200,000    $             1,200,000
45 Chase Winovich DE 28 2025  $                         1,200,000    $             1,200,000
46 Quinton Bohanna NT 25 2026  $                         1,200,000    $             1,200,000
47 Patrick Scales LS 36 2025  $                         1,152,500    $             1,152,500
48 Dawand Jones OT 23 2027  $                         1,107,172    $             1,107,172
49 Benny Snell HB 26 2026  $                         1,100,000    $             1,100,000
50 Khalil Herbert RB 26 2025  $                         1,087,677    $             1,087,677
51 Andy Vorhees IOL 23 2027  $                         1,080,863    $             1,080,863
52 Braxton Jones LT 25 2026  $                         1,059,888    
53 Nsimba Webster WR 28 2025  $                         1,055,000    
54 Greg Stroman CB 28 2025  $                         1,055,000    
55 Dominique Robinson DE 26 2026  $                         1,053,289    
56 Ja'Tyre Carter G 25 2026  $                         1,012,328    
57 Elijah Hicks CB 25 2026  $                         1,004,252    
58 Trenton Gill P 25 2026  $                         1,004,252    
59 Zachary Kuntz TE 22 2027  $                             996,237    
60 Giovanni Manu OT 23 2028  $                             990,000    
61 Brealon Allen RB 20 2028  $                             990,000    
62 Jack Sanborn LB 24 2025  $                             987,500    
63 Jaylon Jones S 27 2025  $                             985,834    
64 Michael Dwumfour DT 26 2025  $                             985,000    
65 Adrian Colbert FS 31 2025  $                             985,000    
66 Jake Bobo WR 25 2027  $                             985,000    
67 Johnny Wilson TE/WR 23 2028  $                             965,000    
68 Brenden Rice WR 22 2028  $                             960,000    
69 Myles Cole EDGE 24 2028  $                             945,000    
70 Tyson Bagent QB 24 2026  $                             923,333    
71 Eric Watts  EDGE 23 2028  $                             920,000    
72 Gabe Hall DT 23 2028  $                             920,000    
73 Dwight McGlothern FS/CB 23 2028  $                             920,000    
74 James Williams LB/SS 21 2028  $                             920,000    
75 Tahj Washington WR 22 2028  $                             920,000    
76 Frank Crum OT 23 2028  $                             920,000    
77 Ethan Driskell OG 22 2028  $                             920,000    
78 Anim Dankwah OT 21 2028  $                             920,000    
79 Tyler Owens S 22 2028  $                             920,000    
80 Keith Randolph NT 22 2028  $                             920,000    
81 Carson Steele FB/RB 21 2028  $                             920,000    
82 Doug Kramer C 26 2025  $                             915,000    
83 Brenton Cox Jr. DE 24 2027  $                             915,000    
84 Malik Cunningham QB 25 2026  $                             915,000    
85 Roy Mbaeteka T 24 2025  $                             795,000    

Total Cap Spent     $251,405,362  

Dead Cap    

# Player Pos. Age   2024 Cap    
1 Eddie Jackson FS 31   $5,580,000    
2 Cody Whitehair G 32   $4,104,000    
3 Phillip Walker QB 29   $500,000    
4 Travis Bell DT 26   $87,855    
5 Trestan Ebner RB 25   $82,968    
6 Doug Kramer C 26   $78,904    
7 Kendall Williamson S 24   $58,332    
12 Micah Baskerville LB 25   $6,667    
11 Macon Clark S 25   $6,667    
10 Jalen Harris DE 25   $6,667    
9 Bobby Haskins T 26   $6,667    
8 Lorenz Metz T 27   $6,667    
13 Thyrick Pitts WR 25   $6,334    
14 Aron Cruickshank WR 24   $5,334    
15 Gabriel Houy G 25   $4,000    
16 Andre Szmyt K 26   $1,334    
17 Robert Burns FB 26   $667    

Total Dead Cap   $10,543,063    

Cap Space
Cap Available  $260,326,000
Total Cap Spent $238,226,782
Dead Cap $10,543,063
Cap Available  $11,556,115

So I am not going after Gilmore, and I am rolling with DeJean as my boundary CB opposite of Johnson.

I want to contact Tannehill, but I assume he will refuse my fully guaranteed 2-year, $15 million deal. If he signs elsewhere for less or equal, I will adjust.

Until I see he is interested in being QB2 and my vet presence, I will sign QB Blaine Gabbert to $1,300,000 per year for 1 year. I don't want him to see the field but a veteran is needed badly IMO.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:55 AM, Sugashane said:

Post Draft Thoughts

1.1 - QB Caleb Williams

I love getting Williams. In my real-time drafts I have gotten Dak and Mahomes prior to them being drafted and now I have the QB I want with the HC/playcaller I want (Ben Johnson). This is where the Apes can become dominant. Johnson thrives on getting the QB and offensive talents to utilize their strengths and attack where they want to through a variety of formations and looks. He can call multiple plays off one look as well, so it makes it hard to key in on any one player as they spread the ball around. He thrives on play -action which is a REAL issue for defenses with Henry/Herbert/Allen all charging straight at them. Williams has remarkable arm talent and has top 3 weapons (easy claim as well) in the league with an OL that has a LOT of passblocking ability. 

1.9 - WR Rome Odunze

Odunze is the perfect player to learn behind Allen and Moore. He can be the deep threat immediately and use his high-end physical tools as he learns the nuances of the position behind them. Both Allen and Moore are technicians that will attract the bulk of the passes, but I think Odunze ends 2024 as the most explosive WR. Due to one of them being doubled and the other likely having CB1 he may end the year with the highest YPC and TD total. Odunze gets to walk in as the top WR3 by far in the league and gets to develop his weaker points slowly as he gets to use his size/speed/athleticism combo to be a thorn in defenses from the start. 

2.34 - CB/S Cooper DeJean

The Apes had one real hole going into the draft and it was CB2 (assuming Gilmore has not taken the contract, that is to be seen). There was aging talent there like Peters and Sydney Jones is a serviceable reserve, but you know damn good and well where offenses will try to pick at when you are in nickel with Johnson, Gordon, and Peters/Jones. DeJean is a baller, and is a damn physical player. With Richard being the DC there will be a lot of cover 3 and this fits DeJean perfectly. He can be physical at the line, keep his head back towards the QB more, and make plays on the ball. Its the perfect role for him. I could also plug him as a multi-role hybrid defensed like Honey Badger if Gilmore does accept the contract offer I gave. 

3.94 -  LB Payton Wilson

Edwards is getting older, Sanborn is a classic SAM who can also attack in a MIKE role, but may get picked on in the passing game. So the Bears may be looking for a new WILL soon. Wilson fits like a glove. He is super athletic, hunts ballcarriers like a rabid wolf, and is a damn quick processor on the field. If Richard wants him to bulk up a bit then he has this whole year to likely get time to do so without losing that elite speed, if he has to plug and play then he will get to take his lumps with a fantastic crowd around him. 

4.122 - OT Giovanni Manu

I feel like I've been talking about Parcell's Planet theory a lot lately, but I do that each draft. There are only so many guys that are a combination of freakish size and athleticism that you take them on as projects just due to that. I had Mailata and did it (I drafted him before PHI did) and he has become one of the best LTs in the league while having no real experience in football. Manu has been playing against what I would call D2 talent but I want to be able to bring him in to push for a swing tackle, he is nothing more than a project and might not even dress on Sundays, IDK. But I know my OL coach has a LOT of clay to work with when it comes to this mammoth. 

4.123 - HB Braelon Allen

Allen might be one of the most underrated players in the draft IMO. Dude is a physical specimen and brings a physicality to the RB position I adore. He isn't shifty as you would find in 200lb RBs but is agile enough for a power runner, can find lanes and loves to truck through defenders if he isn't leaving them in the dirt. I love it, and when Herbert inevitably walks in 2025 he will step into RB2 to provide Henry spells, and will continue beating up defenses when Henry needs a breath. 

6.185 - WR/TE Johnny Wilson

I signed Gesicki but he is a stopgap until I can see him play well consistently. Wilson is a 6'7" WR who fell in the draft for some reason, I had him as a 4th round talent. He competes hard for the ball and has a massive catch radius. I convert him to TE and try to get him up to 245-250 over the next year or two and let him learn the TE role. He is already a fighter of a blocker as well. That being said I have no intentions of running him as a traditional TE, he is a move end in the likes of Dallas Clark, Jimmy Graham, etc. I love having these players because you can run multiple concepts of 11 and 12 personnel with the same exact group, and just attack in whichever way is more advantageous for your offense. If they put a CB on Wilson then you may have a significant advantage on running his way, if they cover with a LB then spread him out and attack through the air. 

6.190 - WR Brenden Rice

I've said Rice and Washington were overrated all offseason, and apparently the NFL agreed with me. Williams made them, they did not make Williams. That being said Rice does have some physical tools worth noting. He is an aggressive WR and will fight like a dog for 50/50 balls, and while he isn't the specimen in the likes of MHJ/Nabers/Odunze he does have a solid set of physical gifts to work with. He is inconsistent but when he is 'on' you see traits that came from his father, these games are just too infrequent to allow him to be drafted higher. I actually may have him start as a returner as he has experience there and is dangerous when in space. Maybe working behind Moore and Allen helps him see where he is lacking and he develops into a solid WR3 once Allen leaves/retires. I won't hold out hope, but I have no doubt he can outperform Velus Jones so he already has a spot for me. 

Plus seeing Jerry Rice come to Chicago in a Bears uniform? Oh hells yes. 

7.219 - Myles Cole

Kid is just a hellish athlete on the field, 6'6", absolute vines for arms, nearly 280lbs and can move as quick as he does? And he has a non-stop motor? I don't care that he is unrefined or older for a rookie, he has tools to work with and should be able to at least provide depth for a few years. If he can figure it out he is at least a 3rd passrusher with the size to attack from anywhere. With his lack of lateral mobility he may even be best fit as an interior rusher in nickel. That or you have a base power end to throw on the OL. Either way if he can be a rotational piece while being drafted in the 7th you got a steal. 

@goldfishwars

I know you didn't care for the trade up to get Manu and Allen wasn't a player you were really high on. What would you grade this draft? I traded next year's 1st to get DeJean  and then through multiple trade backs gathered more capital.