2024: The Rookies

Posted (edited)

Hicks looks like the sort of LB/S hybrid that we have not had. He's big, physical, and has a downhill mentality. With some experience, he should be an ideal nickel safety. 

Last year's pick, Chamarri Conner, is more of the jack-of-all-trades we have had since Honey Badger arrived. Justin Reid is in his final season, so these two and Cook look like the future of the S room. The way these guys hit, that's a dangerous place.

The 6th-round pick, CB Kamal Hadden, has medical concerns but carries a 2nd/3rd-round pedigree. He could be quite a steal.

Edited by onejayhawk

HC Reid had several comments about the rookies at camp. Among them--Xavier Worthy showed more than speed, Wiley showed well but they cannot assess the blocking, and the OL group looks good though we are still non-contact. I was unaware that Reid, who is from BYU, knows Suamatia's family. I assumed his BYU contacts kept Reid aware of Kingsley's development but this is a level deeper.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/kc_chiefs_draft_picks_left_a_good_first_impression_on_hc_andy_reid_during_rookie_minicamp/s1_17313_40332844

Jamaal Haddon, CB Tennessee is the 1st draft pick to sign.

This write-up explains why the Chiefs got such high marks for drafting him. The short version is that they stole a day #2 pick in round #6.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_sign_sixth_round_draft_pick_kamal_hadden_ahead_of_phase_iii_of_the_offseason_program/s1_17313_40361875

50 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Jamaal Haddon, CB Tennessee is the 1st draft pick to sign.

This write-up explains why the Chiefs got such high marks for drafting him. The short version is that they stole a day #2 pick in round #6.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_sign_sixth_round_draft_pick_kamal_hadden_ahead_of_phase_iii_of_the_offseason_program/s1_17313_40361875

I think Haden has potential to have Sneed like impact and well outplay his draft slot. Only guy I liked more that dropped was Kalen King that GB drafted.

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think Haden has potential to have Sneed like impact and well outplay his draft slot. Only guy I liked more that dropped was Kalen King that GB drafted.

I agree, assuming the injury heals. That is why he fell to 6th. 

Without the injury, he is in the Kamari Lassiter - Khyree Jackson range on day #2. That's the eventual-starter-but-no-rookie-impact portion of the draft.

On 4/26/2024 at 7:17 PM, onejayhawk said:

1 (28): WR Xavier Worthy, Texas
2 (63): T Kingsley Suamataia, BYU
4 (131): TE Jared Wiley, TCU
4 (133): S Jaden Hicks, Washington State
5 (159): C Hunter Nourzad, Penn State
6 (211): CB Kamal Hadden, Tennessee
7 (248): G C.J. Hanson, Holy Cross

After rookie camp, some comments.

1. The evaluation of Xavier Worthy is divisive. For example, GoldFishWars did not like the pick or the trade-up for Worthy but  still gave the draft a top-10 grade based on the other picks.
  2. Kingsley Suamataia is generally respected. The Chiefs do not need a day #1 starter. Suamataia looks solid as a backup in 2024 and a potential starter in 2025.
  3. No pick
  4. Wiley and Hicks are viewed as great values. Both carried top-100 rankings
  5. Nourzad is considered a steal. He also carried a top-100 ranking
  6. Hadden is another sort of steal. He has an injury but was late round #2/early round #3 otherwise.
  7. Who? Great test numbers but no one paid attention to him.