2024: Defense

1 hour ago, chiefs82 said:

I like this move, liked him in the draft. Another rotational piece that maybe brings something we didn’t think we have. Gave up a pick for him so he’s a lock. So that’s 4DEs, Chuck is going to be on IR. Who else makes it?

Cam Thomas is a light DE with a good reputation against the run.

Along with Leo Chenal we have the makings of a classic 3-4 setup. The three down linemen could be Jones/Nnadi/Karlaftis with either Thomas or Chanel being designated as the 4th rusher. As DE both Thomas and Chenal are a bit small. As 3-4 Edge they are near ideal. 

22 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Cam Thomas is a light DE with a good reputation against the run.

Along with Leo Chenal we have the makings of a classic 3-4 setup. The three down linemen could be Jones/Nnadi/Karlaftis with either Thomas or Chanel being designated as the 4th rusher. As DE both Thomas and Chenal are a bit small. As 3-4 Edge they are near ideal. 

Thomas struggles as an EDGE in 34, it’s why he didn’t fit in AZ

Thats what I heard anyways

Edited by Chiefer

I really don’t think at this point it truly matters what you call it any more. It’s not like the old days where being a 4-3.  vs a 3-4 meant you were in that base 95% of the time. Spags does so much with movement and blitzing that it’s just what it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I really don’t think at this point it truly matters what you call it any more. It’s not like the old days where being a 4-3.  vs a 3-4 meant you were in that base 95% of the time. Spags does so much with movement and blitzing that it’s just what it is.

Oh definitely, he’s the guy who’s gonna figure out where to fit everybody and execute accordingly. 

Im more worried about the Sneed sized hole at corner. Besides that I feel good about the defense. Hopefully Reid is healthy enough to start again. 

25 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Oh definitely, he’s the guy who’s gonna figure out where to fit everybody and execute accordingly. 

Im more worried about the Sneed sized hole at corner. Besides that I feel good about the defense. Hopefully Reid is healthy enough to start again. 

Agreed, corner concerns me, they need to cover long enough for us to get pressure. Or do we need to get pressure so they don’t have to cover too long? Biggest questions for me, can we cause enough disruption (sacks/turnovers)?

With the late addition of DE Cameron Thomas the Chiefs appear set at DL and on the whole defense to start the season.

• DE - George Karlaftis, Mike Danna, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Cam Thomas, Malik Herring, Charles Omenihu (injured). Thomas gives the Chiefs a run down DE who might be able to slip inside. FAU's effectiveness is the big question.
  • DT - Chris Jones, Tershawn Wharton, Mike Pennel, Derrick Nnadi. Just three years ago there was doubt Chris Jones was on a Hall of Fame track. Not anymore. Wharton brings some dynamics.
  • LB - Drue Tranquill, Nick Bolton, Leo Chenal, Jack Cochrane, Cam Jones. The starting three may be the best group in the AFC. Leo Chenal has the look of a monster emerging. 
  • S - Justin Reid, Bryan Cook, Chamarri Conner, Jaden Hicks. This is an impressive group. Reid has Pro Bowl potential and all of them hit. Hicks is turning heads already and Cook is back after a long injury rehab.
  • CB - Josh Williams, Jaylen Watson, Trent McDuffie, Nick Johnson, Christian Roland-Wallace. They will miss L'Jarius Sneed who did everything. Still, McDuffie is elite and Williams and Watson are solid in press coverage.

The loss of Willie Gay is covered by the emergence of Leo Chenal. The loss of L'Jarius Sneed is not as easily managed. McDuffie will need to play more boundary CB which means someone needs to cover the slot. Chamarri Conner is a possibility and CRW is an intriguing possibility. CRW pushed several familiar names to the PS, including 6th-round pick Kamal Hadden. He is very experienced with five college seasons and plays ST. He may also have a role in slot coverage. McDuffie played most of the slot coverage last season but he will be needed outside.

Overall, this unit emerged last year and returns remarkably intact, losing only one star player, albeit a big star. Development by FAU, Chenal, Conner, and improved chemistry and cohesion could make this year one of the best Chiefs defenses ever. Even with a step back, this will be among the best defenses in the NFL.

Tyrann Mathieu, the Landlord, sent a text about Hicks.

Edited by onejayhawk

Defense looked exhausted after chasing Lamar around all night. 

Did a good job against the RBs in the run, but Lamar got to play backyard ball all night seemingly at will. The athletic ability at LB is deficient with Willie Gay gone, think that’s gonna be a need going forward. Chenal more of a lineman than a LB at this point. 

Luckily Lamar wasn’t throwing the ball well so the wide open guys on the backend got missed repeatedly. 

But I’ll give it to the secondary they did a decent job and the DL was feasting on an inexperienced line. Hardly any blitzing, wonder how long that lasts going forward 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Is it the mental aspect of the position? You can't hesitate or "play it slow". He certainly looks the part, but something is missing.

Idk, he’s slow off the snap, and Thats not really something you get better at with time. Either you can time it or you can’t. 

Like Skyy Moore, on paper it looks like he measures up but on game day just doesn’t have an impact. 

It sucks because Joey Porter jr went a pick later, and he fits exactly what we look for in a corner. 

Leo Chenal is such a beast. Spy duty on Lamar is a tough task for anybody. His hybrid ability is valuable and he’s the most athletic player on the defense. Hes gonna be a big reason we shut down opposing running backs on the ground