Final Mock Offseason of 2017

WindyCity

I think Inman can stay because he can also contribute on special teams.

Christian Jones is a guy I keep going back and forth on. In the Pettine defense they thump more than in some 3-4 systems so perhaps he has a place.

I keep going back to the WR group.

With Nagy and the need for speed I think that there are better free agent options to do what they do. The volume of passes to RBs and TEs allows you to not have the same focus at WR. But as AZ stated the Howard fit scares me.

With DeFilippo it appears that the WRs are more of the offensive feature. Isolate in 1 on 1s and let them physically win. In that case free agency does not excite me as much and I would move it up the draft priority.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think Inman can stay because he can also contribute on special teams.

Christian Jones is a guy I keep going back and forth on. In the Pettine defense they thump more than in some 3-4 systems so perhaps he has a place.

I keep going back to the WR group.

With Nagy and the need for speed I think that there are better free agent options to do what they do. The volume of passes to RBs and TEs allows you to not have the same focus at WR. But as AZ stated the Howard fit scares me.

With DeFilippo it appears that the WRs are more of the offensive feature. Isolate in 1 on 1s and let them physically win. In that case free agency does not excite me as much and I would move it up the draft priority.

Flip wants a diverse WR room... size guy for the red zone, speed guys to take the top off the defense, and quick/precise route runners for underneath routes.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

Flip wants a diverse WR room... size guy for the red zone, speed guys to take the top off the defense, and quick/precise route runners for underneath routes.

He needs talented guys as they throw a lot more to the WRs.

I think everyone wants diversity, but in Philly they also went out and brought in Alshon [6'3"], Hollins [6'4"] and in Cleveland everyone outside of Benjamin was 6'2"+.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

He needs talented guys as they throw a lot more to the WRs.

I think everyone wants diversity, but in Philly they also went out and brought in Alshon [6'3"], Hollins [6'4"] and in Cleveland everyone outside of Benjamin was 6'2"+.

I'm just citing his words from an interview in Cleveland when he was OC.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm just citing his words from an interview in Cleveland when he was OC.

I know.

If DeFilippo is the guy I think we need a stronger investment in WR. They are the feature of the offense and their ability win 1 on 1s. We have what I hope is the TE in Shaheen covered.

I do not think if Flip or LaFleur are the guys we can go cheap at WR.

I know.

If DeFilippo is the guy I think we need a stronger investment in WR. They are the feature of the offense and their ability win 1 on 1s. We have what I hope is the TE in Shaheen covered.

I do not think if Flip or LaFleur are the guys we can go cheap at WR.

I think we could get by with Meredith and Wright, but we really need a burner and he said he loves RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think we could get by with Meredith and Wright, but we really need a burner and he said he loves RBs that can catch the ball out of the backfield.

I would not be comfortable with Meredith and Wright. Granted they would be better in a better scheme, but the Eagles went hard into the WR free agent pool last year for a reason.

The system needs guys who can win 1 on 1s. From what I watched they scheme you out of doubling or playing zone by sending a bunch of guys into the route, but then you need guys who can beat man coverage.

There are a few guys in free agency that I think could fit, Robinson if healthy, Watkins, maybe, but I look to the draft for better options. Not 1st round, but I definitely think they will look hard in round 2.

The real rub is that a guy like Kevin White probably would have thrived in this situation. Isolate a big, fast, powerful player in 1 on 1s and let him make plays after the catch.

I think in a perfect world you upgrade enough to use Meredith in the slot, where he has been successful.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The real rub is that a guy like Kevin White probably would have thrived in this situation. Isolate a big, fast, powerful player in 1 on 1s and let him make plays after the catch.

I think in a perfect world you upgrade enough to use Meredith in the slot, where he has been successful.

I think Richardson can win 1-on-1 and he offers a speed element we are lacking.

Meredith can perform well in the slot (phrasing) but can still do okay on the outside.

Draft a rookie in round 2 and make Kevin White WR4. If he manages to earn a higher position after camp and the pre-season, then good for him. If he does and gets hurt again, you've got the rookie to take his spot.

Just now, G08 said:

I think Richardson can win 1-on-1 and he offers a speed element we are lacking.

Meredith can perform well in the slot (phrasing) but can still do okay on the outside.

Draft a rookie in round 2 and make Kevin White WR4. If he manages to earn a higher position after camp and the pre-season, then good for him. If he does and gets hurt again, you've got the rookie to take his spot.

Richardson and a 2nd round pick would definitely give us as big an upgrade as we can expect.

Richardson fills the role of what Torrey Smith was suppose to be.

2nd round pick is on a slot guy or a big outside guy with Meredith taking the other spot. That would give us enough to handle the WR workload.

Richardson and a 2nd round pick would definitely give us as big an upgrade as we can expect.

Richardson fills the role of what Torrey Smith was suppose to be.

2nd round pick is on a slot guy or a big outside guy with Meredith taking the other spot. That would give us enough to handle the WR workload.

That's where I'm at, and it's still a young group that can grow with Mitch AND you still are giving Kevin White a shot to produce. I hated the pick but a part of me does feel awful for him and if he's rehabbing and attacking this with vigor, I'd like to see him have a chance to win back a spot. But to rely on him would be extremely foolish.

52 minutes ago, G08 said:

That's where I'm at, and it's still a young group that can grow with Mitch AND you still are giving Kevin White a shot to produce. I hated the pick but a part of me does feel awful for him and if he's rehabbing and attacking this with vigor, I'd like to see him have a chance to win back a spot. But to rely on him would be extremely foolish.

I’m with you. Kid has the mental makeup for greatness for sure and those are easy guys for me to root for. BUT, if he’s our projected #4 headed to TC I want a veteran #5 too. An Inman level player for that role is totally fine, but we have to heavily insulate ourselves to he health piece. 

On the other end re: White, a new HC should have as much clout as anyone to convince Pace to cut him loose if he doesn’t actually earn a roster spot in TC too. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m with you. Kid has the mental makeup for greatness for sure and those are easy guys for me to root for. BUT, if he’s our projected #4 headed to TC I want a veteran #5 too. An Inman level player for that role is totally fine, but we have to heavily insulate ourselves to he health piece. 

On the other end re: White, a new HC should have as much clout as anyone to convince Pace to cut him loose if he doesn’t actually earn a roster spot in TC too. 

I agree but the main issue, in my mind, is that not only is this Pace's first ever draft pick (his baby, if you will) but it will cost us the same amount of money whether we cut him or keep him on our roster. I can't see any way in which we let him go next season.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I agree but the main issue, in my mind, is that not only is this Pace's first ever draft pick (his baby, if you will) but it will cost us the same amount of money whether we cut him or keep him on our roster. I can't see any way in which we let him go next season.

Worst case scenario is he costs you a player that can actually play. 

Forget the money, I don't want to lose talented/upside players because of 5 million that is sunk anyway.

Archived