Which WRs make the roster? (not PS)

dll2000

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

Given Shane Waldon's love of multiple TE sets, I'm actually expecting a move for another TE before another WR though.

Picture Marge Simpson making that nervious groaning noise,  that is how I feel about this prospect. 

Obviously we don't know how Waldrom will work out, heard good and negative things, but my number one question is whether he's going to adapt his scheme to personnel or if he's going to try and shoehorn these players into what he likes to run. Specifically:  if your top 3 WRs are all healthy, and Odunze is ready, are we really going to favor 12 personnel instead of 11?  Having lived through Nagy trying to run his scheme no matter what, and Getsy trying to make Fields into Big Bagent,  I feel we're uniquely qualified to fret over OCs not understanding their resources. 

NOW, I could totally see a situation if/when Allen is out of the lineup, where it makes sense to have 12 peronnel plays prepped and practiced.  As underrated as the Everrett signing was (good value, decent player) you'd really have to say WR is head and shoulders above the TE group and will hopefully be prioritized. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Picture Marge Simpson making that nervious groaning noise,  that is how I feel about this prospect. 

Obviously we don't know how Waldrom will work out, heard good and negative things, but my number one question is whether he's going to adapt his scheme to personnel or if he's going to try and shoehorn these players into what he likes to run. Specifically:  if your top 3 WRs are all healthy, and Odunze is ready, are we really going to favor 12 personnel instead of 11?  Having lived through Nagy trying to run his scheme no matter what, and Getsy trying to make Fields into Big Bagent,  I feel we're uniquely qualified to fret over OCs not understanding their resources. 

NOW, I could totally see a situation if/when Allen is out of the lineup, where it makes sense to have 12 peronnel plays prepped and practiced.  As underrated as the Everrett signing was (good value, decent player) you'd really have to say WR is head and shoulders above the TE group and will hopefully be prioritized. 

My concern is more of a depth thing, in that I don't think we have a #3 guy on the roster at all right now. Waldron ran a good amount of 12 and a surprising amount of 13 personnel, despite a pretty solid WR room in SEA.... Looking at what we have in TE room, we literally can't run 13 at all, and even 12 would be seriously risky given we only have 2 guys.   TE room needs a "Tyler Scott" where there's at least a touch of hope. beyond the starters, is all I'm really saying. Even bringing Mercedes Lewis back would make me feel a lot better about that position.

Edited by Epyon

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

My concern is more of a depth thing, in that I don't think we have a #3 guy on the roster at all right now. Waldron ran a good amount of 12 and a surprising amount of 13 personnel, despite a pretty solid WR room in SEA.... Looking at what we have in TE room, we literally can't run 13 at all, and even 12 would be seriously risky given we only have 2 guys.   TE room needs a "Tyler Scott" where there's at least a touch of hope. beyond the starters, is all I'm really saying. Even bringing Mercedes Lewis back would make me feel a lot better about that position.

All we have to do is look to Bears' history to solve this problem, and take a page from Mike Martz. We just trade DJ Moore for a 3rd to someone, and then we can trade that third for a TE3!  Call it the reverse-Olsen. 

Joking aside I get your point.  Just hoping that TE3 is as low priority as it sounds, and having a trio of WR2/low end WR1 is going to be as big a deal as it sounds.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

All we have to do is look to Bears' history to solve this problem, and take a page from Mike Martz. We just trade DJ Moore for a 3rd to someone, and then we can trade that third for a TE3!  Call it the reverse-Olsen. 

Joking aside I get your point.  Just hoping that TE3 is as low priority as it sounds, and having a trio of WR2/low end WR1 is going to be as big a deal as it sounds.  

DJ Moore was 6th in receiving yards last year and Allen was 11th despite missing 4 full games. Those guys are WR2 or low end WR1 to you? 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

DJ Moore was 6th in receiving yards last year and Allen was 11th despite missing 4 full games. Those guys are WR2 or low end WR1 to you? 

Completely beat me to it.

59 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Apologies, my point was not well made.  I think in this offense, you could conceivably have three guys all putting up that sort of WR1/2 production at the same time, not ranking players. 

• Like 3

Just now, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Apologies, my point was not well made.  I think in this offense, you could conceivably have three guys all putting up that sort of WR1/2 production at the same time, not ranking players. 

Not sure where you'd rank Moore but it's got to be at least top 10 for me, which emphatically makes him  a WR1.  Allen is as wel, unless you're building in some kind of expectation that he's going to miss time.   I do think Moore is probably going to take a step back in terms of stats, but if it comes with 2 other guys generating a ton of yards and scores it's a great problem to have. 

• Like 1