Great Story About Jim McMahon by; Dan Pompei

soulman

I don't think McMahon was a great QB by any means, but he was as tough a SOB as you could find. Dude was as tough as a NT and crazy as a MLB, just was in a QB body.

His special gift was he knew how to win.  Even the old man saw it which is why we drafted him.   Maybe it was his way of showing regret that he ever traded Bobby Layne away since Mac was a whole lot like him.  I have no doubt that if Charles Martin had not maliciously ended his career we would've won at least one or two more SBs.

That's a great read, Pompei is one of a handful of excellent writers covering the Bears.  

There's a line in there about how fans loved him not for his production but for how he did it.  I think that's a similar phenomenon to Fields, and how fans really loved him.  Certainly didn't win a lot, didn't hit even milquetoast stats, but he was exciting and really played in a way that made you stand up out of your seat.  Never thought of how similar it was to the McMahon show, and really explains why so many people had a hard time letting go of Fields.  That and we just don't know what it's like to cheer for a really good QB unless it's our backup teams in the Super Bowl.