Drake Maye

It feels like it's been impossible to get a good read on where this kid really is.  Obviously it's been reported that he has struggled for large lengths during training camp, but throw on top of it the lack of reps during preseason, the negative speculation that certain media outlets are trying to around him and it's just been impossible to know where we are with him.  Anyone want to throw out some thoughts or perspective?  Right now I can't turn on the radio without it sounding like Maye is the worst QB prospect of the last 30 years.

4 hours ago, prob2236 said:

It feels like it's been impossible to get a good read on where this kid really is.  Obviously it's been reported that he has struggled for large lengths during training camp, but throw on top of it the lack of reps during preseason, the negative speculation that certain media outlets are trying to around him and it's just been impossible to know where we are with him.  Anyone want to throw out some thoughts or perspective?  Right now I can't turn on the radio without it sounding like Maye is the worst QB prospect of the last 30 years.

I not a fan of Drake Maye but that beside the point with my comments here. 

I have a major problem with the draft, when teams that need a QB, draft someone high in the draft with the hope of developing his so call physical skills. Lets call it the Josh Allen factor.

Why on earth would you take any QB that high where you have to break him down (2024 season) and rebuild him from square one ?

Note the Jordan Love is a bad example, why. They were picking in the 20's and they had the team where he could sit and learn.

For every Allen there are 100 of failures. The Pats were not in a position to fail with the 3rd pick in the draft or to wait to see if he works out down the line.

I'm not saying Maye a bust however why take the risk if your team is trash. If he doesn't work out you set your team back at least 5 years!!!!!

The Pats situation is even more problematic. They are new across the board and have one of the worse roster in the NFL with major holes.  They should of planned better. Look at this team based on a 2/3 years window.  Look at both drafts and have a choice of Maye 24 or Beck and Ewers 25.

Some will say how do you know they will be able to get a high draft pick again, well based on everything that you see and all the other so call experts it's a petty good bet based on what is going on in camp. The OL is a complete mess and the WRs are young and need to (24 season) mature.

They should of realize they would be at the top of the draft in 2025. MOF they said Maye would be sitting in 2024, really, that makes taking him even more baffling.

Every time I open tiktok there's a new clip of Drake making some beautiful pinpoint accurate all-pro kinda throw in practice. Every time I go to youtube the Boston media is ripping on him and sucking up to Milton for making a couple scrambles against fourth stringers. At the end of the day the truth usually lies somewhere in between and we probably won't know what we've got in Maye for another year. My personal opinion? Maye's got TONS of potential and I'm still looking forward to seeing how his career in NE pans out.

• Like 1

Way too early to tell. This was a kid that many people were saying “needs to sit a year” throughout the draft process - now the sky’s falling that he had some bumps in his first week of his first camp? It’s hogwash.

He’s shown ups and he’s shown downs. He’s raw, you expect that. By all accounts, he’s taken everything in stride. Patience is key. The fan base is incredibly spoiled, so patience is tough, but it’s necessary. I just saw a clip of a Pats fan calling into a radio show, saying Maye needs to be cut. It’s funny, but kinda sad.

4 hours ago, Soko said:

It’s hogwash

To be determined. 

4 hours ago, Soko said:

The fan base is incredibly spoiled,

Not all fans,such as myself.

I know exactly what happening right now. I been through this before.  It started with the hire of Mayo and Wolf ( Pat Sullivan, Bobby Grier, Sam Jankovich ) with no experience and Groh still involved.  If I here how good Wolf is because of his father  ....  explosion .  If I recall Wolf is on a trial run said Kraft, you frigging kidding me.  This team is a mess with major holes and they just fired a legendary coach.  They needed a spark a QB someone like Bledsoe, the new face of the franchise. A offensive coach was the move in today's NFL

The last thing a good team would do is hire a defensive coach with no experience, that goes with the GM as well. Groh another head scratch-er, really, his track record awful.

They couldn't hire a OC (several passed) and had to settle for a journeyman to come in a overhaul the offense ( Mayo has no clue on this side of the ball) and to train the new QB. That sound like a disaster waiting to happen.

This is the same crap, I had to watch during the Sullivan years.

Note: its funny how the other rookie QBs on crap team are showing potential however for some reason the Pats won't break the glass for Maye or they can't coach him up enough to get him in the game.   I know the OL stinks but how good are the others. The GM and coach picked the players again a failure on their part.  No excuses

Don't forget all the greatness came from BB and TB while Fredo Kraft sat in the seat cheering. Now he's a FB expert???? How that looking.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

To be determined. 

It’s not. The QB is an advertised project at the position. Acting like the sky is falling (not you, just some) because of a bad string of practices or one drive in a preseason game is ridiculous, whether he develops or not. Taking it slow is exactly what the team should be doing.

Maybe Maye busts hard. Statistically, that is always the likelihood. But whether he busts or not, that gives zero credence to the reactionary knee jerk drama queens who want everyone fired, everyone cut, and the team sold whenever there’s an incomplete pass or a bad loss on the schedule.

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Not all fans,such as myself.

I know exactly what happening right now. I been through this before.  It started with the hire of Mayo and Wolf ( Pat Sullivan, Bobby Grier, Sam Jankovich ) with no experience and Groh still involved.  If I here how good Wolf is because of his father  ....  explosion .  If I recall Wolf is on a trial run said Kraft, you frigging kidding me.  This team is a mess with major holes and they just fired a legendary coach.  They needed a spark a QB someone like Bledsoe, the new face of the franchise. A offensive coach was the move in today's NFL

The last thing a good team would do is hire a defensive coach with no experience, that goes with the GM as well. Groh another head scratch-er, really, his track record awful.

They couldn't hire a OC (several passed) and had to settle for a journeyman to come in a overhaul the offense ( Mayo has no clue on this side of the ball) and to train the new QB. That sound like a disaster waiting to happen.

This is the same crap, I had to watch during the Sullivan years.

Note: its funny how the other rookie QBs on crap team are showing potential however for some reason the Pats won't break the glass for Maye or they can't coach him up enough to get him in the game.   I know the OL stinks but how good are the others. The GM and coach picked the players again a failure on their part.  No excuses

Don't forget all the greatness came from BB and TB while Fredo Kraft sat in the seat cheering. Now he's a FB expert???? How that looking.

To be determined, my friend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soko said:

knee jerk drama queens who want everyone fired, everyone cut, and the team sold whenever there’s an incomplete pass or a bad loss on the schedule.

I agree. It the Felger factor.   IMO the job is nearly impossible at this time.  The upper management has to realize what they have after BB.  They still (IMO) think they are "the Patriots"  and that is so far from reality.  They should of  nuked this and not try to quick fix this mess. How long will it take to realize the team has to fix the offense especially the OL.  Many say give it time, well that been going on since TB's last year.  What have they done, nothing. Look at this year, no FA ( even the old FA guys would be better than say Lowe) and drafting a RT in the 3rd RD.  Also why on earth would you draft him and try to move him to LT, now is not the time to experiment. Especially with a young QB.

So this is another wasted year. That's how it was done in the past, believe me 2/3 years can turn into 10 years fast. We are working on 5/6 year now!

The Kraft's put out the Pats dynasty ( never watched a minute ) they ripped BB ( what I heard) . My question, if that is true, why wait so long to make the change.

Many would say they owed him for all the PAST success, what a load of crap.  Again that is upper management having no clue.

This rebuild (plan) should of started when BB brought in Newton. Next, I don't care if it was Jesus, if my coach said they were bringing in Matt P for OC I would of said. If you do that YOUR FIRED.  They had a young successful QB for God sake, insane.  Mac Jones short career with the Pats have no bearing, so I'm not getting info a back and fourth on who's fault why it went belly up, it a waste of time.

I know Kraft plan was Mayo but again, why.  The reason " the Patriot way"

Last but not least: why is Mike Onwenu playing (fixture) RT?  He's the best OT they have, its crazy. They said Maye will be playing Thursday, if that so wouldn't you want the best you have playing RT, what the plan?

I guess patience is in order, we will see in 2025. Starting with the draft.  

What I seen so far, there is only one guy worthy of a top pick for the Pats and it just so happen to be a LT. The draft at this time doesn't match up what the Pats needs on the offensive side of the ball. 

The WR group is no where near as good as 2024. Also there a big fall off at LT as well. This draft is loaded with (studs) defense such as CB Will Johnson and DL Mason Graham.

Thats what frustrates me the most.  Maybe Maye fails and becomes a bust.  But from the start I thought it was understood that he was raw and it would be at least a year before he would be ready to start.  Now here he is, 2 weeks from the start of his first training camp, and low and behold he's not ready.  AND PEOPLE ARE ALREADY READY TO WALK AWAY FROM HIM.  That includes writers who follow this stuff for a living.  Did anyone hear Bedard yesterday on Felger and Mazz say that the joint practice cluster with Philly has him regretting the Maye pick all together?  It sounds like Maye is exactly who we thought he was but everyone's already done.

4 hours ago, prob2236 said:

understood that he was raw and it would be at least a year before he would be ready to start.

This comment says it all for me.   They are projecting him WAY down the road. Who are they, that's my problem. IMO they are not qualified,  Wolf, Mayo and Groh. They have no experience (track record) and you are trusting them with the future? You are putting your team on a maybe and if wrong we wasted a year and have to start all over.

What have these three have done so far???? This is not on them it's Kraft.  Wait, Groh take that back, he should of been gone yesterday !!!!!!

I would feel much better if they went for someone with experience. Let take Maye out of the equation I still think is was a major mistake on Kraft's part.

My guy would of been Vrabel and whoever he worked with as a GM. To me its commen sense. He's done it before. This has nothing to do with Mayo it what we are seeing and hearing in training camp.

Last I could give to crap that Kraft promised Mayo, screw that, that happen in business all the time.

If this was your money and business who would you hire if your going down the tubes ? Anyone that says,  Mayo is lying or nuts!!

Edited by m haynes

3 hours ago, prob2236 said:

Who's the tackle?  Campbell or Banks?

Campbell is on another level.  So far I have concerns with Banks, he leans and fall off his base, but it early.  I also have a eye on the Georgia LT, Earnest Greene III later in the draft he might fall due to his height 6'4.

8 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Campbell is on another level.  So far I have concerns with Banks, he leans and fall off his base, but it early.  I also have an eye on the Georgia LT, Earnest Greene III later in the draft he might fall due to his height 6'4.

I’d trade a future FRP for Campbell. Guy can hope.

14 minutes ago, Soko said:

I’d trade a future FRP for Campbell. Guy can hope.

I agree you know me with LT !!!

He's there for the next 10/15 years.

Or  

You take him with the 1st pick in the draft, trade a 1st,2026 to move up and take Tyler Booker OG Alabama 6'5 352 LBs.  Teach Maye to back up to the left behind these two monster 😁

The next Hannah and Gray !!!!!