Drake Maye

He seems like a nice, genuine young adult. Basically a kid at 22. Lots of tools, competitive, some high pedigree, a whole organization invested in him and behind him 100%. The natural place to be right now is optimistic. Statistics are lifeless static to reality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

I agree you know me with LT !!!

He's there for the next 10/15 years.

Or  

You take him with the 1st pick in the draft, trade a 1st,2026 to move up and take Tyler Booker OG Alabama 6'5 352 LBs.  Teach Maye to back up to the left behind these two monster 😁

The next Hannah and Gray !!!!!

I'm big on Campbell too but whenever I watch a breakdown of him it always seems to come up that his arm length is a potential problem for an NFL LT and that in the end he could end up as a LG.  Scares me with how far behind the Pat's are that they could take a another top pick swing at a corner stone type of player and end up still needing to find a LT by the time all is said and done.

6 hours ago, prob2236 said:

I'm big on Campbell too but whenever I watch a breakdown of him it always seems to come up that his arm length is a potential problem for an NFL LT and that in the end he could end up as a LG.  Scares me with how far behind the Pat's are that they could take a another top pick swing at a corner stone type of player and end up still needing to find a LT by the time all is said and done.

I read that as well.  He has average arm length. I think its more of the draft Bucky wanna bee finding some negative/cons to fill out his draft reports or to sell his draft guide. I saw one that projected him in the 2nd RD due to arm length. I will go by his numbers and who he dominated, starting as a freshmen.

I will also go on the stats, 1600 snaps gave up 2 sacks in his career!!!!!!!

Here he is playing Dallas Turner. Not bad for a 20 year old baby !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grzquhML2rI

Let's put it this way, he look like a God compared to what we have seen for the last 5/6 years all the way back to Shoulder.

Last,  I saw on a draft site, he will have to move into OG. Does this look like a player that need to move.

When I look at a LT it always starts with his base and how he move laterally. IMO it's a thing of beauty with Campbell.

Also that's why I have (its early) concerns with Kelvin Banks he short at 6'4 and might cause him problems with his base. He tend to reach over his frame.  It still early, need to see more.

54 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I read that as well.  He has average arm length. I think its more of the draft Bucky wanna bee finding some negative/cons to fill out his draft reports or to sell his draft guide. I saw one that projected him in the 2nd RD due to arm length. I will go by his numbers and who he dominated, starting as a freshmen.

I will also go on the stats, 1600 snaps gave up 2 sacks in his career!!!!!!!

Here he is playing Dallas Turner. Not bad for a 20 year old baby !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grzquhML2rI

Let's put it this way, he look like a God compared to what we have seen for the last 5/6 years all the way back to Shoulder.

Last,  I saw on a draft site, he will have to move into OG. Does this look like a player that need to move.

When I look at a LT it always starts with his base and how he move laterally. IMO it's a thing of beauty with Campbell.

Also that's why I have (its early) concerns with Kelvin Banks he short at 6'4 and might cause him problems with his base. He tend to reach over his frame.  It still early, need to see more.

Ya, he's incredibly young too.  Won't be 21 until January, so could continue to take steps in the coming season.  It will be interesting to see where he goes.  I assume the Pat's will be within striking distance either way, but depending on how bad they are this might be the the draft that they get tempted to trade down and add a ton picks.  Not much wiggle room if they don't land him or Banks though.

I’ll post some numbers later, but I remember this talk during the draft season about Fautanu, and the correlation between ape arms and being a good tackle isn’t fully there. Yeah, obviously the more tools the better, but having “average” arm length is 100% fine. You just don’t want them to be short. Nowadays if it’s not freakish, it’s a knock. 

Like, Jamarr Chase of Justin Jefferson are only average height guys (6’1). Davante Adams or ARSB only have average speed. Tools are only an issue if a player doesn’t know how to work around them/be good at using their other skills. Campbell doesn’t have issues with defenders getting into his body (from what I’ve seen), so I’m not going to known ”average” arm length.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, prob2236 said:

tempted to trade down and add a ton picks.

That's a problem  in 2025 it's a defensive draft. So if they trade down they miss out again on the offensive side of the ball. They have to come out of this draft with a guarantee starter on offense and the only one I see at this time is Campbell.

The mock I look at have 17 defensive player going in the 1st. Only 4 WRs with two in the top 10 picks. One is Travis Hunter who is listed as a CB/WR.

They should of did it this year !!!!!!

Really liked seeing Maye stay calm, maneuver the pocket, use his legs, and keep his eyes down field. Big difference when it’s a regular season game vs starting defenses, but he showed about as much composure as he could in his first preseason action. Maybe a bit on the conservative side, but the most important thing is he looked comfortable. 

Mayo says he wants to starting speeding things up for Maye, as in getting in/out of the huddle faster. I imagine that includes getting the verbiage out in the huddle, making his reads pre-snap, etc. Not a huge surprise given the change from a college air raid to an NFL WCO. Maye had said earlier one of his rookie moments was during OTAs - he broke the huddle got up to the line, and the OL looked at him with confusion because he didn’t set the protection. Wasn’t something he had to do in college. 

I wanna see Maye get more starting reps, even if Jacoby ends up being the Week 1 starter. Let’s ramp it up for him. I don’t wanna see Jacoby fail, but we all know if (when?) he starts to show his warts, it won’t be because he didn’t get enough reps in training camp. It’ll be because he’s not good enough. Keep the ball rolling, let Maye get some positive momentum, and give him a real shot at starting games this year. I’m fine looking long term, but ultimately I think Maye’s going to learn more starting games than he will on the bench, with the major caveat being: as long as he isn’t getting killed out there. The OL didn’t/doesn’t inspire confidence, but between Maye’s mobility and the run/heavy PA stuff that AVP is expected to run, I think there’ll be built in protections.

This oline might be the worst we've had in 20 years.  You can't put a project rookie behind that line.  Maye gave us a reason to be optimistic about his development last night.  Now we have to be patient and realize that no matter how bad we want to see him play, nothing good comes out of him playing behind this line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, m haynes said:

That's a problem  in 2025 it's a defensive draft. So if they trade down they miss out again on the offensive side of the ball. They have to come out of this draft with a guarantee starter on offense and the only one I see at this time is Campbell.

The mock I look at have 17 defensive player going in the 1st. Only 4 WRs with two in the top 10 picks. One is Travis Hunter who is listed as a CB/WR.

They should of did it this year !!!!!!

I agree.  There's such a lack of talent on the team, especially a key spots, for them to mess around to much.  I'm concerned that with the lack of top end offensive players in this draft, if the Pat's end up with the #1 or #2 pick, they could get a kings ransom from some team looking to land one of the few QBs, WR, or T that are there.

14 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

if the Pat's end up with the #1 or #2 pick, they could get a kings ransom from some team looking to land one of the few QBs, WR, or T that are there.

Subject to change here, but I’m not trading out of an opportunity to draft Campbell unless it’s a massive haul. The team’s top need is LT, and aside from QB, that’s probably the rarest position in the NFL. If they have a blue chipper looking them in the eye, without an opportunity at another one, I’d be livid with a trade back unless we’re talking a trade back + 2 future firsts or something. Not sure any of the QBs are going to garner that kind of return this upcoming draft, but a lot can change.

• Like 1

I wouldn't trade out either, but you never know with this current crew.  I know the current oline is a disaster but I honestly feel like a year of development for guys like Robinson and Wallace, with the drafting of a Will Campbell and that Pat's oline could be significantly better 365 days from now.  I haven't heard much about Wallace of late but in the past week a few people made positive remarks on Robinsons development and the possibility of him take first team reps.

Campbell-Robinson-Andrews-Onwenu-Wallace had the potential to be a very capable oline.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

I wouldn't trade out either, but you never know with this current crew.  I know the current oline is a disaster but I honestly feel like a year of development for guys like Robinson and Wallace, with the drafting of a Will Campbell and that Pat's oline could be significantly better 365 days from now.  I haven't heard much about Wallace of late but in the past week a few people made positive remarks on Robinsons development and the possibility of him take first team reps.

Campbell-Robinson-Andrews-Onwenu-Wallace had the potential to be a very capable oline.

If Robinson develops into a guy that can start games, I want Onwenu at RT. Let Wallace make his transition to the left side, as planned. Keep Sow at LG. If we could wave a magic wand and develop Wallace and Robinson, we’re closer to a line now than some think. 

Have to believe that both rookies aren’t ready to go as of now, though. Even the greatest coaching staffs make weird decisions at times, but the fact that Lowe is the starting LT and Chuks is the starting RT (on top of the team’s refusal to put Onwenu at RT), have to imagine that the replacements are looking like they’re not ready.

Let’s keep Sidy Sow in mind too. Dude had a solid rookie season and looks to have the LG spot on lock. Layden Robinson turning into a player means more for Onwenu’s versatility to tackle than it does pushing Sow to the bench, IMO. 

But yeah, the OL is a problem, but it’s not quite as far away as it’s being made out to be. Adding Campbell (or any starting caliber LT) drastically changes the outlook of the current team. The IOL is strong, and there are options to cycle at RT.

46 minutes ago, Soko said:

If Robinson develops into a guy that can start games, I want Onwenu at RT. Let Wallace make his transition to the left side, as planned. Keep Sow at LG. If we could wave a magic wand and develop Wallace and Robinson, we’re closer to a line now than some think. 

Have to believe that both rookies aren’t ready to go as of now, though. Even the greatest coaching staffs make weird decisions at times, but the fact that Lowe is the starting LT and Chuks is the starting RT (on top of the team’s refusal to put Onwenu at RT), have to imagine that the replacements are looking like they’re not ready.

Let’s keep Sidy Sow in mind too. Dude had a solid rookie season and looks to have the LG spot on lock. Layden Robinson turning into a player means more for Onwenu’s versatility to tackle than it does pushing Sow to the bench, IMO. 

But yeah, the OL is a problem, but it’s not quite as far away as it’s being made out to be. Adding Campbell (or any starting caliber LT) drastically changes the outlook of the current team. The IOL is strong, and there are options to cycle at RT.

See I'd rather keep Onwenu at RG and develope Wallace into a legit starter at RT where he's probably more comfortable.  I think Onwenu is a capable RT when he has to be, but is a much better guard then he is a tackle.

18 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

See I'd rather keep Onwenu at RG and develope Wallace into a legit starter at RT where he's probably more comfortable.  I think Onwenu is a capable RT when he has to be, but is a much better guard than he is a tackle.

I’ll take what I can get, lol. Either spot, I’ll be a happy camper.

Another aspect to this OL concern with Maye: Maye’s athleticism. More than just evading rushers, but making defenses respect contain. Not letting defense pin their ears back 24/7.  I don’t want to see Maye eat contact the way Josh Allen does, but I absolutely wanna see him abuse teams with his legs when it’s there. That’s gonna slow the pass rush down, big time. It’ll force different coverages, won’t be able to play quite as much man without a spy, which will open up opportunities for the offense. Drake’s absolutely capable of forcing defenses into that. Do it smartly. No Vick running around with his head cut off. 

The polar opposite of Mac Jones. Mac was capable of climbing the pocket, but if he got flushed out, the play was dead. He was either throwing it away, eating a sack, or his mechanics/arm would fail him and it’d be an INT. Drake can make throws outside the pocket, on the move. He can punish teams with his legs. Stuff like that is going to help the OL in a way that we haven’t really seen in NE.

• Like 2