Drake Maye

5 minutes ago, Soko said:

Another aspect to this OL concern with Maye: Maye’s athleticism. More than just evading rushers, but making defenses respect contain. Not b pinning their ears back 24/7.  I don’t want to see Maye eat contact the way Josh Allen does, but I absolutely wanna see him abuse teams with his legs when it’s there. That’s gonna slow the pass rush down, big time. It’ll force difference coverages. Drake’s absolutely capable of forcing defenses into that. Do it smartly. No Vick running around with his head cut off. 

The polar opposite of Mac Jones. Mac was capable of climbing the pocket, but if he got flushed out, the play was dead. He was either throwing it away, eating a sack, or his mechanics/arm would fail him and it’s be an INT. Drake can make throws outside the pocket, on the move. He can punish teams with his legs. Stuff like that is going to help the OL in a way that we haven’t really seen in NE.

Agreed, and honestly I think that that's probably a part of the reason why a lot of the development news on Maye through training camp has been more negative then positive.  I've got to imagine that under controlled situations, where the defense isn't allowed to hit him, the coaches are probably trying to get him not to ad lib as much, and just stay in the pocket and throw.  The problem is that the athletiscm and adlibbing I'd a big part of who Maye I'd, and it wasn't allowed to come out until last night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

Agreed, and honestly I think that that's probably a part of the reason why a lot of the development news on Maye through training camp has been more negative then positive.  I've got to imagine that under controlled situations, where the defense isn't allowed to hit him, the coaches are probably trying to get him not to ad lib as much, and just stay in the pocket and throw.  The problem is that the athletiscm and adlibbing I'd a big part of who Maye I'd, and it wasn't allowed to come out until last night.

100%. My firm belief is the focus has to be playing the offense the “right” way in camp. Harp on the fundamentals, command the offense. All well and good, obviously super important, but it’s kneecapping a huge part of Maye’s game. Thats why I want him to command more reps. Let’s get the operation of the offense where it needs to be, and as long as he isn’t being absolutely murdered, we can get the Maye train rolling sooner than later.

The one cause for pause, along with the tackle situation, is the idea that you can go from Brissett to Maye, but you can’t necessarily go from Maye to Jacoby without it being this massive indictment against Maye. I am guarded against that a little bit. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 7:26 PM, m haynes said:

Watch and dream of things to come !!!!!!!

1st two minutes is jaw dropping    6.20 is my favorite he walks the guy off the field.

I’d love to draft him. Beefcake.

Jacoby Brissett and Drake Maye remain in competition to be the Patriots’ starting quarterback when the regular season starts against the Bengals on September 8.

That’s the word from Patriots head coach Jerod Mayo, who said today that he hasn’t decided whether Brissett or Maye will start Week One, and won’t decide until after the preseason finale.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-patriots-still-dont-know-who-our-week-1-starting-quarterback-will-be

Jesus could start and it still won't make a difference. 

If everything equal, I want Maye to start.  This sitting crap,is a waste of time.  Your not winning so protect him, let him play, develop, forget winning.  If you have to hand off 90% of the time.  Throw 100 passes to the flat, works on his footwork, learn speed of the game and see his pre-snap reads.

BB did this with Mac before he ran him over with a Matty P bus. He also did this with Brissett, the game against Texans when he was a rookie.

The objective for 2024 is to get Maye reading for next year. Sitting on the bench does nothing for him, especially mechanics his major weakness. 

• Like 1

Maye’s been outplaying Jacoby lately, but Jacoby’s still getting most of the reps with the first team offense. Seems like he’s still in the QB-lead.

If that‘s the case, I say get Maye in after the SF game. I want him to get on the field ASAP, but at that point you might as well get a couple tough defensive matchups out of the way. No reason to drop Maye in vs SF or the Jets defenses. The defenses after that are much more palatable. Mayo (along with former OC BoB) has reminded us lately that preseason games are usually really dumbed down offenses/defenses. So waiting until after SF also gives him a chance to see and sit through film rooms of real-time offensive/defensive calls. 

• Like 2

Ahhhh I’m still in the “don’t start him at all” camp. I can see him getting toasted behind that line and bad habits being part of his game as a result.

this isn’t our year. He might buy us one or two more wins with his legs, but let’s wait for a better situation. Think of this team with a top 5 player in the draft starting at LT, and another weapon. Then add Maye.

27 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ahhhh I’m still in the “don’t start him at all” camp. I can see him getting toasted behind that line and bad habits being part of his game as a result.

this isn’t our year. He might buy us one or two more wins with his legs, but let’s wait for a better situation. Think of this team with a top 5 player in the draft starting at LT, and another weapon. Then add Maye.

What happens if the team drafts Campbell, he’s the new LT, and he tears his ACL in OTAs? Do you sit Maye again in Year 2?

1 hour ago, Soko said:

What happens if the team drafts Campbell, he’s the new LT, and he tears his ACL in OTAs? Do you sit Maye again in Year 2?

Or they take a defensive player or trade the pick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🥵🥵🥵🖕🖕🖕🚽🚽🚽