BDL 2024 Week 7: Cwmfelinfach Ptrash Pterodactyls @ Las Vegas Bangers

RedGold

Who wins?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cwmfelinfach Ptrash Pterodactyls
    • Las Vegas Bangers

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 10/24/2024 at 04:01 AM

4 minutes ago, InjuredReserve said:

I'm picturing 3 different OL remnants protecting each QB

On this note, I'd like to have an honest conversation with you fantastic football minds about the concept I outlined in the gameplan. (This isn't an attempt to sway votes in this game. A strong BDL team had their best player go nuclear against a decent NFL opponent, and my poor garbage monsters are limping. I needed a miracle from the Week 7 games and did not get one.)

If you were playing against an offense that put this formation onto the field, how would you defend it?

48 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

On this note, I'd like to have an honest conversation with you fantastic football minds about the concept I outlined in the gameplan. (This isn't an attempt to sway votes in this game. A strong BDL team had their best player go nuclear against a decent NFL opponent, and my poor garbage monsters are limping. I needed a miracle from the Week 7 games and did not get one.)

If you were playing against an offense that put this formation onto the field, how would you defend it?

I think bcb said it right earlier today that as a special formation that rolls out super rarely there prob is no plan you can realistically have ready. But, if it's all game this comes to mind:

- 2 Receiving personnel have to come off the field to make this lineup work (bringing in 2 QBs in their place).

- the main alignment is that TL removed a WR and a TE. Has 5 Down lineman. 

If I knew a team ran this, i would attack it this way:

(1) I now have a 5th edge rusher free all game against an OL that doesn't have a TE. So I am going to generate more pressure consistently (edge rusher is free at the LB level since I have no TE to cover).

- I go the edge rusher route bc I don't think you get cute. You force QB1 to have to make super tough decisions now with less receiving options and if he is throwing it backwards to other QBs, i call that a win. Sure we take some deep throws off these super flea flickers, but we also likely generate some fumble recoveries off the number of times these backwards passes have to work (since any drops are fumbles).

(2) I take the weakest member of my secondary (likely my CB3, 2nd Safety, or 3rd LB) and i align him in front of the WR/QB pairing that has the fastest legs (in this case Kyler). Goal here is to essentially play a roaming zone between Jayden and Kyler in the backfield that makes throwing behind the line of scrimmage to the faster QB option a scary premise.

(3) And I shift between man to man and zone looks heavily bc the plan relies on various QBs getting reads and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. So better to disguise what we are doing (not just play our best style).

I think this approach against this defense leads to an offense like TL's scoring against us a couple times on fun TDs that are crazy. I think we also generate some insane sacks and I could see a huge risk on every drive of some fumble recovery being taken to the house.

1 minute ago, InjuredReserve said:

I think bcb said it right earlier today that as a special formation that rolls out super rarely there prob is no plan you can realistically have ready. But, if it's all game this comes to mind:

- 2 Receiving personnel have to come off the field to make this lineup work (bringing in 2 QBs in their place).

(1) I now have a 5th edge rusher free all game against an OL that doesn't have a TE. So I am going to generate more pressure consistently (edge rusher is free at the LB level since I have no TE to cover).

- I go the edge rusher route bc I don't think you get cute. You force QB1 to have to make super tough decisions now with less receiving options and if he is throwing it backwards to other QBs, i call that a win. Sure we take some deep throws off these super flea flickers, but we also likely generate some fumble recoveries off the number of times these backwards passes have to work (since any drops are fumbles).

(2) I take the weakest member of my secondary (likely my CB3, 2nd Safety, or 3rd LB) and i align him in front of the WR/QB pairing that has the fastest legs (in this case Kyler). Goal here is to essentially play a roaming zone between Jayden and Kyler in the backfield that makes throwing behind the line of scrimmage to the faster QB option a scary premise.

(3) And I shift between man to man and zone looks heavily bc the plan relies on various QBs getting reads and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. So better to disguise what we are doing (not just play our best style).

I think this approach against this defense leads to an offense like TL's scoring against us a couple times on fun TDs that are crazy. I think we also generate some insane sacks and I could see a huge risk on every drive of some fumble recovery being taken to the house.

Oh and this has no bearing on this matchup btw. I was just answering the theoretical. I want to make that extra clear.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, InjuredReserve said:

Love this. Really want to dive deeper into it but need some clarification. What exactly is the defensive alignment and where are they positioned?

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Love this. Really want to dive deeper into it but need some clarification. What exactly is the defensive alignment and where are they positioned?

A team like mine prob runs with the personnel i used in this game. 4 DL, 2 LB, 1 roving CB/S, 2 outside CBs, and 2 Safeties.

I would think you want the roving player to have the speed to be able to get into the zone between QB1 and QB2 quickly. 

Then your 2 traditional safeties. I think you prob want to run 1 high safety and bring the second safety down on the side of the field that QB3 is on. I would prob need to MS Paint this.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Cover 3 flat.  Both your OLB or one OLB and box safety are already headed towards the boundary to cover that zone and will destroy the QB who has to wait for the ball to get there, then catch it cleanly, then throw it if that's what he wants to do.  Meanwhile it keeps three players deep with a normal zone against basically three actual receiving options which elimantes any zone beater type of plays and doesn't lighten the box for the run

Edited by bcb1213